Fantasy HERO or Fantasy HERO Complete?

Sam On Maui

Okay, so Fantasy HERO Complete is coming out soon, right? And Fantasy HERO is available via PDF. I've got Champions Complete as well as HERO Basic - which book would be better for me to get? What do they offer overall? How do they compare and contrast?

I guess the duplication sort of confuses me a bit :(

If you know the system and have the rules already, I suspect that the Fantasy Hero book will be a more complete set of rules and information, while Fantasy Hero Complete is more an introductory "here's how to play Fantasy with the Hero system" sort of book, but I have not actually held both 6th edition FH and FH complete in my hands to compare.

Fantasy Hero Complete will be much like Champions Complete, the complete game rules plus a section on running the fantasy genre. It is the complete Hero System rules (hence the name) and not a mere introduction to fantasy as Christopher guessed.

Fantasy Hero is Hero System's genre book for fantasy, much like Champions is the genre book for superheroes. It does NOT contain the Hero System rules despite what Christopher said. It is all genre information. It covers different types of fantasy (high, low, epic, s&s) has racial templates, career templates, a hugely expanded weapons list, multiple magic systems, and tons more.

Well I didn't mean FHC was stripped down and simple, but rather instead of being a very in depth examination of Fantasy Hero like the main book, its is more "how to use the hero system to play fantasy."  At least, as I understand it.

And I didn't say Fantasy Hero had the rules - Fantasy Hero Complete does.

FH 6E is a huge compendium of options and tools for fantasy. Given that FHC will also contain the Hero rules, all in 260 pages, it's a fair guess that there will be much less material than you would have by combining FH with Champions Complete or another source of the rules.

I like to use FH with the two core 6E volumes, but that is a truckload of rules and options, no doubt about it, which might be a disadvantage e.g. for a new Hero GM seeking to get a game off the ground quickly.