"To Acroyear's rescue!" or "What haven't you tried?"

Hermit

Often, I think I'm too effective, myself. With Omega Man (kind of like Captain Marvel) it seemed too easy. I ended up purposely finding ways to distract him while the others brawled... then maybe I'd swoop back into the fight if they were getting trashed (meanwhile, I'm clearing innocents out of the way and trying to do damage control). In our low poered game, Bolt was just so much faster than everyone I was intentionally distracting him, too, so it didn't seem like I was doing so much more than everyone else.

Now with Starman, a GL type guy... hell, he can do so many different things I'm actually getting kind of bored with him. The problem is, I've played for so long, I can't think of anything new and fun to try that I haven't tried yet, really.

My fellow Champion players, I have called this meeting to order. We have a crisis. Acroyear, known previously by other names (Ever since I suffered from Rival Induced Trauma, I just can't say the 'B' word), seems to be facing character block!

He's been there, done that, and seeks something "new and fun" ah, but here is the kicker, that he "has not tried yet".

Eventually all Champion players must face this dark day. Stay in the game long enough, and woe betide you, your own experience works against you.

Thus, I suggest we start this thread and use it for Acroyear and others in the same peril. I suggest we lob suggestions at him and those like him until we come up with something new and innovative he can find inspiration in.

(Likely, he'll shoot them down like clay pigeons, but that's the price you pay for caring...)

What say you??

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: "To Acroyear's rescue!" or "What haven't you tried?"

Originally posted by Hermit

(Likely, he'll shoot them down like clay pigeons, but that's the price you pay for caring...)

Actually, I'm very good at shooting down clay pigeons and was YMI champ for three years straight. My average was 24 out of 25 hit (and boy would I be horked off on those misses) and that was just because they only rated stuff like that in whle numbers... so I got screwed on the rounding.

Here's a goofy question. Does the "does not cross interening space" advantage count like an indirect in terms of ignoring "stuff in the way." Could a stretcher with this adv use it from behind the safety of a Force Wall, for example?

Re: Re: "To Acroyear's rescue!" or "What haven't you tried?"

Originally posted by Acroyear

Here's a goofy question. Does the "does not cross interening space" advantage count like an indirect in terms of ignoring "stuff in the way." Could a stretcher with this adv use it from behind the safety of a Force Wall, for example?

hMm.. I would say so. After all, Stretching (if I recall FREd's words on the subject) normally has indirect to a degree as part of it anyways. The addition of 'does not cross...' might make it fully indirect and I'd have no problem with that. Though SFX might be a big factor.

ideas

How about these:

An Ancient american indian shaman, who, on occasion has dealings with The entity known as time (Female in my game...think DCs vertigo)

A speedster who actually transforms into a comet when a certain speed is reached.

A time lord(Dr. Who?)

For a high level game, A child of one of the princes of the universe(mentioned in Capt. Aussies and entropies write-ups)

A Avatar of Chaos(5d6 luck 5d6 unluck Activation of 11- on most things,but the luck give the acts a unknown variable-/+ 1 for each one activated) good option if you want to run a insane pc

An elemental of some sort

A pro wrestler (Vance Lewis the Killer Dwark, or The Kentuckyhead-Hunter

An Avatar of a lost deity, or of the animal patheon (the bear god,the eagle god etc.)

Im sure I will think of more, I hope these help.

Well, in my own interests and perhaps in the interests of giving other people ideas... here's a bunch of characters I have played over the years. I'll try to stick the more experienced guys...I'm sure I'll miss a bunch.

Blue Knight (later the Eradicator, then back to BK). Iron Man style powered armor character. HIs "stand out" powers were darkness fields, N-Ray, and attacks that affected desolids.

Wavemistress A skill mongering water elemental (think Fathom from the Willingham series) with that whole aqautic telepathy thing going on. Also ended up having plenty of gadgets, sorcery, and martial arts. Started out as nothing but lame stats, aikido, water breathing, and a 2d6 EB, really (yes, 2d6).

Omega Man Think Captain Marvel but with all the powers of the egyptian pantheon (evil ones, too...).

Death Knight An alien gladiator type guy with a sword and cyborg arm. His shtick was that he removed his own soul and sored it somewhere else... as long as his soul survived, he could come back. He came from the same Order as our board's very own Kawanga Kid (who wasn't as immortal and thus only had a quasi death wisth. heh heh).

Gauntlet A guy with a super duper cyborg hand/forearm. He could launch it and send it to do things. Also had a big computer thingy. Kind of like a lensman with weird shogun warrior weapons popping out all over the place.

Captain Rocket street punk possessed by the spirit of a pulp hero. He had a sonic rocket pack and a mauser (with unlimited ammo). Very pulpish.

Viator Very high speed martial aritist. He was mostly skills but eventually turned into the MP with every possible wonky MA trick you could think of.

Tigerman Think Black Panther but with catlike senses. No claws or anything.

Ganglion A mentalist in a suit of powered armor. Kind of like a 6' tall Dangaio (for those familiar with it).

Chris Styles Punisher type monster hunter... had a "spirit ring" to stay in contact with his murdered brother who by being visible and audible only to him, would provide him with danger sense and other combat imput (like where to shoot to hit invisible targets and stuff).

Bolt Bane of those Hermit-like. He was a massive speedster with a list of powers like 2 pages long (vacuum, vibration, speed, friction, etc, etc).

Starman your basic Green Lantern clone.

I've played ice guys, shrinking guys, fire guys, stretchy guys, magicians, a few armor guys (some with multiple configuartions), Batman clones, the Question, insect guys, Colossus clones, Cyclops clones, space gladiator/jedi guys, an angel, a sentient marble, guy with frog power, african warrior witch doctor, blaxploitation version of Superman, a vampiric Dr. Doom...geez, it's kind of sad.

just a few

Well, some concepts I've either played, made or written about, feel free to use, abuse or adapt...

1) I took the term "Captain America Clone" litterally. The government, in seeking a perfect hero, cloned a golden age hero. They began to put in false memories, and implanting skills as best they could by expemental tech. They fed him a lie... he WAS that Goden Age hero, they told him, frozen in suspended animation... and America needed him more than ever. Now, I had him find out he was just a clone, his martial arts were too mechanical, and so forth. However, one could play him as still a dupe. Betrayed being questioning his humanity, or heroic clone living a lie... your call.

2) The shortest lived villain carreer ever... I wrote a very brief story about a 'Villain' named Torrent. JmOz had asked for tales based on 9-11 with super heroes and such to honor the real heroes of our world. Torrent is ready to go out and plauge New York, only to find out the WTC is crumbling. When he arrives on the scene, someone mistakes him for a super hero. By the end of saving lives (And having his life saved in return by a fireman) he IS one.

One could turn any tragedy into a story that sets a young man (or mutant) on the right path.

3) Not story oriented, but I've been considering a Shrinking Character with a rather nasty HKA that comes in the form of 'tearing' an oppenent as he only shrinks a 'part' of them with a touch.

I'm sure I'll think of more later. :)

As I see it, Omega Man and Starman are real obstacles to "new" character concepts. I'm guessing that they had cosmic VPPs or very nearly so. That means that you could do pretty much what you wanted and so have plumbed the heights (or depths) of "neat things to do with Hero system powers." I also see that thread possibly running through several other characters you listed.

It seems to me that any particular combination of powers and skills won't be interesting to you.

I think it would be helpful in terms of suggesting possible characters to know your tolerance for angst. "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood" (with apologies to the late Fred Rogers or Spider Man-level "I kill everyone I love." It may be that you need some soap opera with your characters.

Changing player groups can sometimes be helpful as well. My group has been together for almost 13 years now and we have a pretty good idea of the types of characters we each want to play and how we'll play them (Though I still can't seem to come up with a good roleplay-oriented scenario worth a gosh-darn.).

Your dilemma reminds of the ennui felt by those who are seeking something else, something beyond. They are ripe for...Enlightenment. :) *cue the beams of light, choirs of angels, and harp music* Though I can't imagine what that would look like in terms of gaming.

I think the suggestion of rolling a random character is a good one. Ever played Villains & Vigilantes? The thing I always liked about that game was that if you used the charts to roll you'd wind up with powers that had absolutely nothing to do with one another and the art then became making the powers have something to do with one another. You might come up with something you might not have otherwise thought of.

Originally posted by BarryB

As I see it, Omega Man and Starman are real obstacles to "new" character concepts. I'm guessing that they had cosmic VPPs or very nearly so. That means that you could do pretty much what you wanted and so have plumbed the heights (or depths) of "neat things to do with Hero system powers." I also see that thread possibly running through several other characters you listed.

Omega Man had a huge Multipower. Starman has a 70pt VPP. Although Starman is limited by his own belief that he has to form objects to do stuff (so he's not growing or turning desolid or anything... mostly making guns and walls).

It seems to me that any particular combination of powers and skills won't be interesting to you.

No, I'm not locked in to a single power set like some people who only play martial artists or only play bricks or whatnot :)

I think it would be helpful in terms of suggesting possible characters to know your tolerance for angst. "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood" (with apologies to the late Fred Rogers or Spider Man-level "I kill everyone I love." It may be that you need some soap opera with your characters.

Actually, I have a John McLaine complex. I like getting the crap kicked out of me before I pull out the win. My most successful, most experienced character (Wavemistress) had a sister who was an assassin, a father who was a Viper Nest leader, and was stalked by the Council of the Chosen which pulls strings everywhere (gov't, Viper, Demon, school, etc). She also had crappy defenses, but lots of body and regen... so she pretty much got plastered every fight. Great fun.

Changing player groups can sometimes be helpful as well. My group has been together for almost 13 years now and we have a pretty good idea of the types of characters we each want to play and how we'll play them (Though I still can't seem to come up with a good roleplay-oriented scenario worth a gosh-darn.).

A good suggestion, but our group has been together over 20 years... and is pretty much the totality of my circle of friends.

Your dilemma reminds of the ennui felt by those who are seeking something else, something beyond. They are ripe for...Enlightenment. :) *cue the beams of light, choirs of angels, and harp music* Though I can't imagine what that would look like in terms of gaming.

What, no Transform? ;)

One thing I'm sure I don't want is the "ready for anything" thing. I've done that, I do that well, and because I am sensitive to not stealing thunder or hogging the spotlight, I bore myself by not doing anything to give everyone else a chance. This is actually harder with a large group, because you have a wider spectrum of character types. Perhaps I should just be more selfish. heh.

Blue, yes I have V&V (two copies, actually). Maybe I'll fiddle around with that and see what happens :)

Actually, the cosmic criminal being forced to reform idea I was discussing for another fellow looks to have fallen through... I kinda liked that idea. Maybe I'll steal it. heh.

That stretching through force wall thing might be weird, too. Sort of a short range TK. What's a good way to make strength inversely proportional to how far your stretch? It's almost like a negative linked.

Re: just a few

1) I took the term "Captain America Clone" litterally. The government, in seeking a perfect hero, cloned a golden age hero. They began to put in false memories, and implanting skills as best they could by expemental tech. They fed him a lie... he WAS that Goden Age hero, they told him, frozen in suspended animation... and America needed him more than ever. Now, I had him find out he was just a clone, his martial arts were too mechanical, and so forth. However, one could play him as still a dupe. Betrayed being questioning his humanity, or heroic clone living a lie... your call.

I kind of like this idea. Maybe I can combine it with the crook on the straight idea. Maybe his ethics implant (or whatever) is based off recordings (genuine or fake) of a famous hero. Heh.

No archetypes are smashing me in the jaw yet, though. I guess I should find my % dice. heh heh

Guest Champsguy

Well, there's the character I thought up, but never could entirely write-up, and never got the chance to play.

You could be...

The Spirit of the 80s!

That's right. He's sort of a force of nature, a living embodiment of all things good and pure in this world. He looks like a member of White Snake (alternatively, others see him as wearing a Michael Jackson-style red jacket with accompanying glove, still others see him as a Bruce Springsteen blue jeans and blue jean jacket kind of guy, he can also look like Don Johnson--whatever a person's inner visualization of the 80's is, that's what he'll look like). He can do anything that derives its powers from the 80s.

Put him in a car, and he can go back in time if he gets it up to 88 mph.

He can trace a square in the sand, fall backwards into it, and transform the whole thing into a swimming pool (the Nestea plunge).

He can extradimensionally travel to the pencil-sketch mirror universe (Aha's "Take On Me").

He can crash through a wall like the Kool-Aid Man (but only if he's feeling really cheesy at the time).

Of course, he's a master of ninjitsu.

I recommend watching "The Wedding Singer" over and over again for ideas. If you really want to have fun, play the character straight. Pretend that it's perfectly natural to have a pistol from "V" at your house.

Oh, and by the way, he changes the world around him into the 80s, as well. That means the Internet don't work if he's within 50 feet or so. And he can point at a girl and change her outfit to big hair and legwarmers.

Re: Re: just a few

I kind of like this idea. Maybe I can combine it with the crook on the straight idea. Maybe his ethics implant (or whatever) is based off recordings (genuine or fake) of a famous hero. Heh.

No archetypes are smashing me in the jaw yet, though. I guess I should find my % dice. heh heh

By all means, mix and match. :)

The random generator in the Champions genre book can be interesting. If you want to really confuse it, roll secondary powers from a completely different archetype :)

an idea

What, no Transform? ;)

One thing I'm sure I don't want is the "ready for anything" thing. I've done that, I do that well, and because I am sensitive to not stealing thunder or hogging the spotlight, I bore myself by not doing anything to give everyone else a chance. This is actually harder with a large group, because you have a wider spectrum of character types. Perhaps I should just be more selfish. heh.

having spent some time in the fantasy mmorpg's over the last few years, a character type that might appeal to you based on the above paragraph is someone who isn't very good on their own, but makes the team better.

in everquest, for example, no good party can really function in a rough environment without without crowd control. best character for that is a class called an enchanter. on their own, an enchanter is not to powerful. but, they can stun or charm incoming monsters so the players only have to fight one or two at a time, as an example.

how about a character who takes this one step further? some type of telekinesis or entangle, or a martial throw, but enough to hold someone in place a moment for the team brick to nail the target. some defensive abilities like missile deflect at range or a force wall to help a vulnerable teammate. maybe a little bit of healing to help out a person who is down.

as for a character type, make this a person with some skills and training, say ex-military, who has some scientific and gadgeteering abilities. with some tactics and leadership, he makes his team all the more effective without being a powerhouse. and for the roleplay side, he's not sure he should be doing this because of his relatively weak power level on his own, but he's successful at making the team better. give him a wife and family to make him question this even further for even more angst potential.

-v

Here’s some ideas I’ve been toying with. Some of them are obviously some hammered together random rolls and such. If I don’t use them, maybe someone else can :)

The Entropic Man

A scientist doing experiments on entropy, he accidentally created an artificial demon. Using his knowledge, he managed to defeat the demon, but was imbued with entropic powers. Entropy powers (could) include: The ability to diminish incoming attacks (extra defenses or missile deflect, perhaps AE style), the ability to cause objects (maybe people) to rot away (perhaps he can send an entopic steam through items to cause a weird attack/indirect attack thing), END and STN drains and some sort of technology disruption ability.

Totem Caller

Anthropologist who discovered a shamanic formula for tapping into the spirits of animals. Kind of like DC’s Animal Man, I suppose. Not a multiform, but he can summon up a couple animal abilities at a time (multipower, likely). Wings of the Eagle (flight), Eyes of the Hawk, Claws of the Tiger (a HKA, some sort of specter-like claw manifest), Roar of the Lion (PRE only for attack), speed of the elk, strength of the bull, ears of the bat, etc.

Shadow Wing

Bat themed vigilante with gliding and a variety of enhanced senses. Also has a variety of darkness/shadow generating powers and perhaps the ability to travel from shadow to shadow.

Dynamo

Cyborg martial artist who can cycle up his own “power ups†(kind of like video game advancement, I suppose). Perhaps every turn he becomes strong and faster and maybe unlocks an additional ability/power as he goes. Rarely will hit “top end†because fights just don’t last that long :) Possible “renegade†experiment from a bad guy group.

Snowblind

An ice and light manipulator. Low end impact initially, but when focuses his light powers through ice sculptures (or something) he creates an enhanced effect (like AE or magnified blast or whatnot). Flashes a must. Other fun cold & light powers.

Griffin

Strong flying guy (couldn’t think of a name). Telekinetic based. Not too strong and not too fast, limited ranged ability (the farther out he reaches, the less strength he has). Also able to generate barriers (force wall) at no range at the expense of his other TK powers (MP time!). Also has limited telepathic abilities most subconscious giving him danger sense (only vs sentients intentionally targeting him) and some communication skills. Because of his “open†telepathy, he is vulnerable to some incoming mental powers.

Lockdown

Mutant with stasis powers allowing him to freeze incoming attacks (some form of FF/FW/missile deflect). Also perhaps a TK grab/entangle thing to lock people into place, as well. Maybe an attack based on velocity being halted (some sort of +v/5†martial arts thing???).

two more concepts

Concept for a Spider-Man Clone I had, and may one day make...

A young man, with the blood of some American Indian tribe in him, makes the mistake of ticking off Grandmother Spider (Perhaps by showing disrespect as he tries to level ancient sites?), she therefore decides to make him part of her grand design. After a near death experence, he awakens with Spider powers, and finds himself accidentally changing at odd times, and drawing attention from elements of chaos.

Another one...

Kind of a DOOM jr., a powered armored concept who is a real life Prince of a small Europeon (or other, take your pick) country. He is studying in America at insistance of his father, and the suit is part of his nation's tech. Load him with perks, give him Noblise Oblige, and I dubbed him "Imperial". It's the name the media would give him, he would point out his nation had never been an empire.

If you don't like them, well, it's late...

if you DO like them, then *bow bow, collects kudos* :D

Re: two more concepts

Kind of a DOOM jr.

I did this one... but I made him a vampire, too. The armor was originally to protect him from sunlight as he searched the globe for possible cures to his curse (and what better place than the metahuman heavy USA?) and to try to make up for his blood-drinking shame, he battled bad guys. That was a while ago, though. Don't remember too many details.

Re: Re: two more concepts

I did this one... but I made him a vampire, too. The armor was originally to protect him from sunlight as he searched the globe for possible cures to his curse (and what better place than the metahuman heavy USA?) and to try to make up for his blood-drinking shame, he battled bad guys. That was a while ago, though. Don't remember too many details.

Have you considered using Lex Luthor as portrayed in Smallville as a potiential super hero then? :)

Fascinating depiction there...

No.

I've only seen a couple episodes of Smallville. One where Lex was being mind controlled by some Siren chick and then that recent one with Christopher Reeve.

Here's another idea I had. A sort of legacy adventurer type who uses his vast wealth to fund a hero team (basically, he pays for the base and vehicles and some agents - we usually don't have such things) but is so worried about not living up to the name in the field, he disguises himself as the "assigned agent" to the group. If he screws up, he just changes the disguise/fake identity and is in denial about screwing up. lol

So he'd be, like, Prometheus Agent Jones instead of Clark Savage the Fifth or something.

For Tick like campaigns, I've thought of one...

Density Increase, Head only (-1)

(Possible Mental Defense Linked)

Extra Running and Leaping on Charges

Armor, again, Head only...

An HA Penetrating attack... (Guess where?)

Behold, you have created "Headstrong! The Living Lawn Dart!"

Fabulous Frogman and Bendable Buddy are just too silly for long term play.

For those curious (and heaven help you)...

Fabulous Frogman was a college nerd with frog powers... leaping, stretching on his tongue (and entangle) and he had poisonous blood. Surprisingly, he usually only need use his entangle once for most people to surrender. His "Costume" was putting a big velcro F on his sweater, and wearing a snorkle mask and flippers. :rolleyes: A tongue lashing from this guy took on a whole new meaning.

Bendable Buddy was your basic stretchy guy. I only remember a couple of his disads "Hates that people with stretching powers are stereotyped as practical jokers" and then, of course, "practical joker." I do remember that the further he stretched, the stronger he got.

I think you dropped one too many little red pills in your Mello Yello.

How easily you misjudge me...

I like Dr. Pepper :)

Actually, the talk of Aquaman in another thread has me wondering, ever do a sea hero concept?

If you already posted an example of it, disregrad this opps :)