6E Speedster 400 pt Homage (for comment)

Comic

Characteristics – c – aka Sol Southern

VAL CHA CP Base Price END Roll Notes
 15 STR  5  10    1   [1]  12- Lift 200 kg; 3d6 HTH; 75 STR w/DI Lift 3.2 Mt 15d6*
 18 DEX 16  10    2        13- 38 DEX 17- w/DI
 13 CON  3  10    1        12- 38 CON 17- w/DI
 13 INT  3  10    1        12- PER Roll 12-; 38 INT 17- w/DI
 10 EGO  0  10    1        11-
 10 PRE  0  10    1        11- PRE Attack: 2d6
  3 OCV  0   3    5            12 OCV w/DI
  3 DCV  0   3    5            10 DCV w/DI
  3 OMCV 0   3    3    
  3 DMCV 0   3    3            8 DMCV w/DI
  4 SPD 20   2   10            Phases: 12, 3, 6, 9; 8 SPD w/DI**
  3 PD   1   2    1            18(15r) PD; 30(15r) w/DI
  3 ED   1   2    1            18(15r) ED; 30(15r) w/DI
 12 REC  8   4    1            37 REC w/DI
 40 END  20   1/5
 11 BODY 1  10    1
 38 STUN 9  20  1/2
Meters Movement            
  4 LEAP 0   4   1/2  [1]      up to half upward
 21 RUN  12    1   [2]      X2 Noncombat; Megascale 1m=1km w/DI
  4 SWIM 0   4   1/2  [1]      X2 Noncombat

80 Characteristics & Movement Total

CP  Powers  Notes  [END]    

Powers   Relativistic Speed

40 DI Relativistic Speed x12 48 AP Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) 60 AP OIF Metamaterial Suit [6]
         400 Ton +60 STR -24m KB +12 PD +12 ED
 15 Bare Advantage 0 END (+1/2) for 60 STR 30 AP Linked to DI (-1/2) OIF (-1/2) [0]*
 20 DEX +20 Linked to DI (-1/2) OIF (-1/2) [-]
 12 CON +25 Linked to DI (-1/2) OIF (-1/2) [-]
 12 INT +25 Linked to DI (-1/2) OIF (-1/2) [-]
  9 Rapid Sight x1000
  7 Mental Defense 15 Relativistic Speed Cannot Turn Off (-0) Linked to DI (-1/2) OIF (-1/2) [-]
 22 OCV +9 45 AP Linked to DI (-1/2) OIF (-1/2) [-]
 17 DCV +7 35 AP Linked to DI (-1/2) OIF (-1/2) [-]
  7 DMCV +5 Relativistic Speed Cannot Turn Off (-0) Linked to DI (-1/2) OIF (-1/2) [-]
 20 SPD +4 Cannot Turn Off (-0) Linked to DI (-1/2) OIF (-1/2) [-]**
 30 Resistant Protection 15 rPD/15 rED OIF Metamaterial Suit (-1/2) [-]
 12 Recovery +25 Linked to DI (-1/2) OIF (-1/2) [-]
 10 Regeneration 1 BODY/20 Minutes 10 AP [-]
  2 Leaping 2m Van der Waals Force Effect 2 AP Megascale (1m=1km; Megascale +1) Only Straight Up Surfaces (-3/4) [1]*
 15 Bare Advantage on 21m RUN 1/2 END (+1/4) Usable as Swim (+1/4) Megascale (1m=1km; +1) 31 AP Linked to DI (-1/2) OIF (-1/2) [-]
  5 Flight 6m 6 AP Position Shift (+5 AP) Gliding Only (-1) [0]
 15 Invisibility to Sight Group 20 AP 0 END (+1/2) Cannot Turn Off (-0) Linked to DI (-1/2) OIF (-1/2) [0]

270 Total Powers**

Perks    

2 Access: Crime Scene Investigator
  0 Positive Reputation: Street kid kept his nose clean became track star and scholarship winner

2 Total Perks

Talents
  6 Environmental Movement – no penalties at relativistic speeds
  3 Lightning Calculator
  3 Lightsleep

12 Total Talents

Enhancers

3 Scientist

3 Total Enhancers

Skills

General Skills

- AK: Campaign City Everyman 8-
  - KS: Police Procedure 11-
  2 KS: Street/Gang Life 11-
  2 LS: Spanish Fluent
  - LS: English Native Everyman – Literate
  - PS: Everyman Crime Scene Investigator 11-
  - TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

4 Total General Skills

Intellect Skills

3 Computer Programming 12-/17-
  3 Criminology 12-/17-
  3 Cryptography 12-/17-
  3 Deduction 12-/17-
  3 Forensic Medicine 12-/17-
  3 Inventor 12-/17-
  8 SS: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Nanotechnology 12-/17-

26 Total Intellect Skills

Interaction Skills

3 Streetwise 11-

3 Total Interaction Skills

300 Total Powers, Perks, Talents, Enhancers & Skills

400 Total CP

Complications    

5 DNPC: Floating
  5 Distinctive Feature: Blurred/Chipmunk voice when Running above 12m, using any powers
 10 Hunted: Floating (As Powerful, NCI, PC Easy to Find, Watching Only, Infrequently)
  0 Physical Limitation: Cannot Hear/Speak at Relativistic Speeds (aware of sounds only as a buzz)
 10 Psych Lim: Boy Scout Mentality
 10 Psych Lim: Code of Honor (Uncommon, Moderate)
 10 Psych Lim: Code vs Killing (Uncommon, Moderate)
  0 Psych Lim: Scientific Curiosity
  0 Rivalry: Floating
 15 Social: Secret Identity, Sol Southern, CSI
 10 Social: Subject to Orders (Keep Police Confidences, On Call; Infrequent, Major)

75 Total Complications

Background

Sol Southern was a street kid who kept his nose clean and stayed away from the lure of gang life. He became a gifted track star and scholarship athlete, determined to use his gifts to help others who had been like him, whose homes were broken by crime and whose lives were touched by too much death.

This may be why Sol turned his scientific skills toward crime scene investigation, to support the police in catching and putting away the right suspect, to speak for those who were dead, and to help right wrongs.

It was why Sol took up the work of the long dead scientist whose body had been discovered in his laboratory, where Sol's investigation took him. The garage inventor left no will and no family. He had been trying to perfect tachyon-vision, a device for seeing into the past. Sol had the advantage of decades of advances in technology, and the disadvantage of being driven by purpose and curiousity to experiment alone and unwisely triggered a cascade that transformed the young investigator's body to a living being capable of attaining relativistic velocities almost instantly.

Powers

As he approaches the speed of light, passing the point where he can run on water due the inertia of water, even run on air due Heisenberg Uncertainty, past the speed where sound is meaningful, where his form is visible, where even thought is remote and alien, Sol's mind races too, able to process ideas over two million times faster than when at normal velocity. And of course, as force is proportional to mass times acceleration squared, Sol becomes truly strong and durable beyond the ordinary experience of the normal world. It is only Heisenberg's Principle that prevents Sol's mere footfalls from shattering the mantle of the Earth, rather allowing him to glide smoothly along the ground as a blur instead.

Sol very quickly discovered he needed protective clothing to move at these speeds, and thus his 'meteen' suit was born of his speed-enhanced genius. Able to unfold the frictionless meteen armor from the size of a coin and don it in a nanosecond, Sol becomes the near speed-of-light superhero 'c', and steps into that strange world beyond street crime and standard police procedure.

*Edited March 9, to correct STR issues and add Megaleap.
**Edited March 10 to fix SPD issue.

Interesting take.  I would strongly suggest getting a copy of Hero Designer to clean up some of the math mistakes.

Hero Designer does indeed rock. But if I don't practice doing the math by hand and checking my work, I slide into having fun and getting things done faster. And who wants that? ;)

Couple more issues I see:

1. is that although his background and other powers reference him being able to move at relativistic speeds (or a significant fraction of the speed of light) he does not have anywhere close to enough Active Points invested in any movement power to actually do so even when considering the Megascale Advantage*.

*In 6e the minimum cost of Megascale became (+1) where 1m = 1 km but allows scaling back to normal 1m=1m as part of that additional cost.  To get close to relativistic speeds something around the range of MegaScale (1m = 10,000 km; +2) is actually required.

2. Since most of his power is through his OIF suit he will begin to lose powers whenever the suit takes damage.  As built, all that would require is a simple Killing Attack with the Penetrating Advantage that does 1 Body past his defenses.

Hero Designer does indeed rock. But if I don't practice doing the math by hand and checking my work, I slide into having fun and getting things done faster. And who wants that? ;)

I think his strength is questionable.

He's got 15 base, +60 from his DI, which gives 75, not 85. Have I missed something?

His reduced END on his strength is for 70 points, which would make sense if he got +70 from his DI.

I think his strength is questionable.

He's got 15 base, +60 from his DI, which gives 75, not 85. Have I missed something?

His reduced END on his strength is for 70 points, which would make sense if he got +70 from his DI.

You are quite right! I'd been editing the power levels late at night, and messed up. Will edit. Thanks for the catch.

Couple more issues I see:

1. is that although his background and other powers reference him being able to move at relativistic speeds (or a significant fraction of the speed of light) he does not have anywhere close to enough Active Points invested in any movement power to actually do so even when considering the Megascale Advantage*.

*In 6e the minimum cost of Megascale became (+1) where 1m = 1 km but allows scaling back to normal 1m=1m as part of that additional cost.  To get close to relativistic speeds something around the range of MegaScale (1m = 10,000 km; +2) is actually required.

2. Since most of his power is through his OIF suit he will begin to lose powers whenever the suit takes damage.  As built, all that would require is a simple Killing Attack with the Penetrating Advantage that does 1 Body past his defenses.

Yes. Excellent points.

1. I appreciate the math, as I hadn't gone to the extent of working out the exact level of advantage that would be necessary. I'd purposely kept the character's movement speed much lower than it will eventually become, to give him room to grow from starting level.

His sneezes and breathing, his heart rate, his blinking, his pulse, the chemical exchanges of his synapses?

Those can move at relativistic speeds now, and drive the mass increase. Much like some speedsters stand nearly still and vibrate back and forth to achieve invisibility or intangibility due high speed, while Sol is not yet a good enough inventor to make a suit that gets him so much closer to the speed of light without friction injury, he doesn't have a requirement for running speed to make him massive, relying instead on small muscle and other motion. I don't intend to ever have 'c' exceed the speed of light, but instead to explore Einsteinian relativity, possibly achieving teleportation by effectively becoming energy, for example, or turning his body heat selectively toward gamma frequency in a particular direction as an EB.

2. Yes. The weakness in the design is on purpose, and actually took a lot of head-scratching to figure out how to implement. The character has extremely high CV, special defenses, high DEF, high movement and high STR, but he has an exploitable disadvantage that if used against him will leave him vulnerable and combat ineffective, with only regeneration, gliding, 3 SPD, speed reading, 8m running, and about 20 CP of skills separating him from a competent normal. Between the choice of lower abilities with lesser limitation, and a playably challenging limitation to give the character something to work toward, I chose to go with the high risk gamble. It wouldn't be difficult to play the character with lesser power and no dependency on a suit, but then that would fail one of the key elements of the homage, as the original had the same limitation for a time.

It wouldn't be difficult to play the character with lesser power and no dependency on a suit, but then that would fail one of the key elements of the homage, as the original had the same limitation for a time.

Can you point me to the era you speak of? 

I've been collecting Flash comics* since the early 70's and I don't remember any reference to a dependency on a suit.

*The very first comic book I ever purchased in fact.

I know the 1st live action TV show made such a reference but I was not aware this was some type of homage to the original material.  Every internet search I've done has always had an invention of a special ring with special gases to shrink and expand his uniform and normal clothes that were protected from the effects of super-speed by his speed-aura.

Re: OIF and Invisiblity

Is OIF really worth -1/2 when the character is always Invisible when using his powers?

As built, it seems like the only time the suit will be visible is when he is Stunned or Knocked Out.  Are there markings on it stating "I am the source of the wearer's powers!"?

Can you point me to the era you speak of? 

I've been collecting Flash comics* since the early 70's and I don't remember any reference to a dependency on a suit.

*The very first comic book I ever purchased in fact.

I know the 1st live action TV show made such a reference but I was not aware this was some type of homage to the original material.  Every internet search I've done has always had an invention of a special ring with special gases to shrink and expand his uniform and normal clothes that were protected from the effects of super-speed by his speed-aura.

Re: OIF and Invisiblity

Is OIF really worth -1/2 when the character is always Invisible when using his powers?

As built, it seems like the only time the suit will be visible is when he is Stunned or Knocked Out.  Are there markings on it stating "I am the source of the wearer's powers!"?

I admit to being a corrupted television watcher, and do want to do justice to the original.

So here goes a couple of takes on it.

One answer might be to alter the limitations on the powers:

CP  Powers  Notes  [END]    as an Alternate ID with Unified Power

40 DI Relativistic Speed x12 48 AP Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) 60 AP OIAID (-1/4) Unified Power (-1/4) [6]
         400 Ton +60 STR -24m KB +12 PD +12 ED
 15 Bare Advantage 0 END (+1/2) for 60 STR 30 AP Linked to DI (-1/2) OIAID (-1/4) Unified Power (-1/4) [0]
 20 DEX +20 Linked to DI (-1/2) OIAID (-1/4) Unified Power (-1/4) [-]
 12 CON +25 Linked to DI (-1/2) OIAID (-1/4) Unified Power (-1/4) [-]
 12 INT +25 Linked to DI (-1/2) OIAID (-1/4) Unified Power (-1/4) [-]
  9 Rapid Sight x1000
  7 Mental Defense 15 Relativistic Speed Cannot Turn Off (-0) Linked to DI (-1/2) OIAID (-1/4) Unified Power (-1/4) [-]
 22 OCV +9 45 AP Linked to DI (-1/2) OIAID (-1/4) Unified Power (-1/4) [-]
 17 DCV +7 35 AP Linked to DI (-1/2) OIAID (-1/4) Unified Power (-1/4) [-]
  7 DMCV +5 Relativistic Speed Cannot Turn Off (-0) Linked to DI (-1/2) OIAID (-1/4) Unified Power (-1/4) [-]
 12 Recovery +25 Linked to DI (-1/2) OIAID (-1/4) Unified Power (-1/4) [-]
  2 Leaping 2m Van der Waals Force Effect 2 AP Megascale (1m=1km; Megascale +1) Only Straight Up Surfaces (-3/4) [1]
 15 Bare Advantage on 21m RUN 1/2 END (+1/4) Usable as Swim (+1/4) Megascale (1m=1km; +1) 31 AP Linked to DI (-1/2) OIAID (-1/4) Unified Power (-1/4) [-]
  5 Flight 6m 6 AP Position Shift (+5 AP) Gliding Only (-1) [0]
 15 Invisibility to Sight Group 20 AP 0 END (+1/2) Cannot Turn Off (-0) Linked to DI (-1/2) OIAID (-1/4) Unified Power (-1/4) [0]

250 Total Powers

I believe the preconditions on the Alternate ID -- invisible, super dense, distinctive movement modes, cannot hear/speak normally -- are sufficient to qualify for the limitation, and while suppress or drains are about as common as penetrating KA's, they affect all the powers just the same amount instead of knocking off one at a time. Sol Southern isn't going to be able to sneak into a gang undercover with the full benefits of his powers, nor keep his DI up at full while on the team jet, nor collaborate with other scientists while at the peak of his intellect. Or even wave his hands to get someone's attention.

Alternately:

Characteristics – c – aka Sol Southern as a more straightforward build less dependent on suit for powers

VAL CHA CP Base Price END Roll Notes
 15 STR  5  10    1   [1]  12- Lift 200 kg; 3d6 HTH; 55 STR w/DI Lift 50 ton, 11d6
 18 DEX 16  10    2        13- 33 DEX 16- w/DI
 13 CON  3  10    1        12- 33 CON 16- w/DI
 13 INT  3  10    1        12- PER Roll 12-; 33 INT 16- w/DI
 10 EGO  0  10    1        11-
 10 PRE  0  10    1        11- PRE Attack: 2d6
  3 OCV  0   3    5            9 OCV w/DI
  3 DCV  0   3    5            8 DCV w/DI
  3 OMCV 0   3    3    
  3 DMCV 0   3    3            6 DMCV w/DI
  4 SPD 20   2   10            Phases: 12, 3, 6, 9; 7 SPD w/DI*
  3 PD   1   2    1            18(15r) PD; 26(15r) w/DI
  3 ED   1   2    1            18(15r) ED; 26(15r) w/DI
 12 REC  8   4    1            32 REC w/DI
 40 END  4  20   1/5
 11 BODY 1  10    1
 38 STUN 9  20  1/2
Meters Movement            
  4 LEAP 0   4   1/2  [1]      up to half upward; Megascale 2m=2km
 21 RUN  9  12    1   [2]      X2 Noncombat; Megascale 8m=8km w/DI Usable As Swim
  4 SWIM 0   4   1/2  [1]      X2 Noncombat

80 Characteristics & Movement Total

CP  Powers  Notes  [END]    

40 DI Relativistic Speed x8 32 AP Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) 40 AP [4]
         25 Ton +40 STR -16m KB +8 PD +8 ED
 13 Bare Advantage 0 END (+1/2) for 40 STR 20 AP Linked to DI (-1/2) [0]
 20 DEX +15 Linked to DI (-1/2) [-]
 13 CON +20 Linked to DI (-1/2) [-]
 13 INT +20 Linked to DI (-1/2) [-]
  9 Rapid Sight x1000
  7 Mental Defense 10 Relativistic Speed Cannot Turn Off (-0) Linked to DI (-1/2) [-]
 20 OCV +6 30 AP Linked to DI (-1/2) [-]
 17 DCV +5 25 AP Linked to DI (-1/2) [-]
  6 DMCV +3 Relativistic Speed 9 AP Cannot Turn Off (-0) Linked to DI (-1/2) [-]
 20 SPD +3 30 AP Cannot Turn Off (-0) Linked to DI (-1/2) [-]*
 13 Recovery +20 Linked to DI (-1/2) [-]
  2 Leaping 2m Van der Waals Force Effect 2 AP Megascale (1m=1km; Megascale +1) Only Straight Up Surfaces (-3/4) [1]
 13 Bare Advantage on 8m RUN 1/2 END (+1/4) Usable as Swim (+1/4) Megascale (1m=1km; +1) 20 AP Linked to DI (-1/2)  [-]
  4 Flight 4m 6 AP Position Shift (+5 AP) Gliding Only (-1) [0]
 20 Invisibility to Sight Group 20 AP 0 END (+1/2) 30 AP Cannot Turn Off (-0) Linked to DI (-1/2) [0]

270 Total Powers

On the whole, I prefer the last of the three build options: the powers are more robust and straightforward without multiple limitations, and so what if there's a bit less raw power? He's already a SPD 12 7* Brick with moderate CV's, good DEF and plenty of movement options. All of the options keep a good core of skills, perks, talents and complications that adequately tell the story of the character, I think.

And of the three options, as a GM, the last one is the one I'd have least trouble accepting.. Though I'm still wrapping my head around General Relativity. But then, who isn't? ;)

*Edited to fix that SPD was missed in the powers section, h/t Hyper-Man for the catch.

re: OIAID

Volume 1: Character Creation Chapter Seven
page 387

ONLY IN ALTERNATE IDENTITY
For this Limitation to be valid, the character must have some difficulty changing forms — the change must take at least a Full Phase, if not longer (during which the character can do nothing else), and/or there must be other difficulties or ways to prevent him from changing identities. For example, a character who defines his suit of powered armor with OIAID would probably require much longer than a Full Phase to put the armor on. A character whose transformation to his alternate identity requires him to speak a magic word can be gagged or otherwise silenced to prevent the change.

re: OIAID

Volume 1: Character Creation Chapter Seven

page 387

"..or there must be other difficulties or ways to prevent him from changing identities.

At 8 levels of non-persistent DI (even with gliding to reduce impacts on the ground), mandatory invisibility, muteness, effective deafness, Sol Southern faces considerable other difficulties to accessing the c identity than a delay. Though yes, that's one of the reasons I prefer the last build over the second. I've always had issues with OIHID as anything but a (-0) limitation for most.

The bigger issue is, I forgot the keystone of the character; that his SPD was supposed to go up with the DI turned on! It's in the Characteristics section, but not paid for in the powers, another oversight that advertises just how much better life would be for me with HeroDesigner.

I'll go back and fix that with edits.

Some notes about how I envision the Gliding/DI combo to work.

1. I don't intend Gliding to remove the impact of the DI on the ground below c when he's powered up, but to spread it out reducing its damage. Sol Southern gains effective positional uncertainty, occupying a cloud of multiple locations simultaneously. Instead of his feet having a surface area of a few square inches, c more evenly spreads out the pressure of his relativistic mass. Which is still enough to leave a big dent.

2. On a ship, vehicle, moving apparatus (conveyor belt, amusement park ride, etc) or otherwise, the full impact of c's mass would be effective against the movement power of the vessel. This would also affect people holding or carrying Sol Southern's relativistic form.

3. When Gliding does or does not take over for Turn Mode is up to the GM to determine as the footing/terrain determine. Generally, I'm thinking of the Wally West 'Porcupine Man' effects of too much power running around, toned down so the damage isn't like a nuke set off around the character whenever he powers up, because he paid for Environmental Movement and Rapid Sight to be able to react in time to avoid the worst of the effects most of the time.

4. The Van der Waals Leaping straight up a wall is a different aspect of the character, where he effectively becomes ground lightning repelling himself from the ground using his electrokinetic connection with a vertical surface. For the most part, the surface bears the full weight of c's power as with point 2., but as with point 1. that weight is spread out by positional uncertainty. Doesn't mean every surface can handle even the dispersed weight, but then the power is not linked to DI, so Sol has the option of making himself vulnerable while ascending.

My inner munchkin would be highly impressed and jealous if you are able to pull of a viable character with a 12 speed on 400 points.

I was not able to do it without allowing straight Characteristics into a VPP (example).  It really wasn't a design goal either though.

I wanted an excuse to work on a speedster. Now I have it.

According to my back of the envelope calculations, a 5e 250 point speedster works out at about 350 under 6e. That leaves 50 points for extra speed.

Endurance would be a problem. He'd have to operate in short bursts.

An OIAID build would probably work best.

A first draft of a 12 speed 400 point character. Obviously a work in progress, but hopefully proof of concept.

Adding OIAID would help. ;)

---

Captain Mercury

CHARACTERISTICS
Val    Char    Points
10     STR        0
13     DEX        6
20     CON     10
13     INT          3
10     EGO        0
20     PRE      10
11     OCV      40
11     DCV      40
3       OMCV     0
3       DMCV     0    
12     SPD    100
15     PD         13
15     ED         13
18     REC      14
60     END        8
10     BODY     0
38     STUN      9
Total Characteristics Cost: 266

POWERS AND EQUIPMENT
Cost   Name            Power/Equipment                                  END

75     Superspeed Powers Multipower, 75-point reserve (75 APs)
12v     Super-Running     1) Flight 50m, x8 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance(½ END; +¼); Only In Contact

With A Surface (-¼) (75 APs)             3
5f     Full Speed               2) Flight 30m, Reduced Endurance (½ END; +¼), MegaScale
                                              1m = 1 km; +1); Only In Contact With A Surface (-¼)(67 APs)    3
2f     Superspeed Leap   3) Leaping +30m (34m forward, 17m upward) (Accurate), Reduced Endurance (½

END; +¼) (25 APs)                 1
1f     Instant Change        4) Cosmetic Transform 1d6 (standard effect: 3 points) (Switch one set of clothes for

another), Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger

resets automatically, immediately after it activates; +¾); Limited Target ([Limited];

Character's current clothing; -½) (5 APs)                     1
4f     Superspeed Punch 5) Hand-To-Hand Attack +9d6, Reduced Endurance (½ END; +¼); Hand-To-Hand

Attack (-¼) (56 APs)                     2

Total Powers/Equipment Cost: 99

SKILLS, PERKS, & TALENTS
Cost    Name                                          Roll
3          Acrobatics                                  12-      
3          Breakfall                                     12-
3          Superspeed Powers: Power    12-

6          Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)
20        Lightning Reflexes (+20 DEX to act first with All Actions)

Total Skills,Perks,& Talents Cost: 35

Characteristics Cost:              266
Powers/Equipment Cost:         99
Skills,Perks,& Talents Cost:     35
TOTAL COST:                        400

I'd definitely want to see some rounding out skills, at least the skill profile of a skilled normal is my general preference, but nicely done, and fittingly quickly.

So.. 60 km/sec is undeniably speedster range and more than enough for any game purpose; can you get him to the speed of light, for bragging rights? (That's another ~5,000x as fast, I think?) 

Does he move fast underwater?

Can he see where he's going at top speed?

What would be his difficulties with getting into OIAID; a long delay, or something else at least somewhat debilitating in some way?

I believe you can get there from here. Possibly you may need an END Battery or some such, but doable.

And here's an entirely alternative view of the Speedster archetype. One who's a Speedster not because of velocity, but by virtue of reach and independent control of each part of his form:

Characteristics – Strand – Professor Paul Lymer (aka Professor Pedantic by students)

VAL CHA  CP Base Price END Roll Notes
 15 STR   5  10    1   [1] 12-  Lift 200 kg; 3d6 HTH
 13 DEX   6  10    2       12-
 25 CON  15  10    1       14-
 18 INT   10    1       13-  PER Roll 12-
 10 EGO   10    1       11-
 15 PRE   10    1       12-  PRE Attack: 3d6
 10 OCV  35   3    5
  8 DCV  25   3    5
  3 OMCV   3    3
  3 DMCV   3    3
  8 SPD  60   2   10             Phases: 12, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 11
 15 PD   13   2    1             30(15r)
 10 ED    8   2    1             25(15r)
 16 REC  12   4    1
 25 END   1  20   1/5
 10 BODY  0  10    1             *
 28 STUN  4  20   1/2
Meters Movement            
  4 LEAP   4   1/2  [2]       up to half upward; Megascale 4m=400km
 12 RUN   0  12    1   [2]       X2 Noncombat
  4 SWIM   4   1/2  [1]       X2 Noncombat

197 Characteristics & Movement Total*

CP  Powers  Notes  [END]    

Powers   Graphene Biopolymer

5 Bare Advantage on 4m Leap 'Elastic Legs' Megascale (+1.75) 4m=400km  7 AP Increased Endurance x2 (-1/2) [2]
 16 Damage Reduction 50% Physical 'Elastic Resilience' 20 AP Unified Power (-1/4) [-]
  4 Enhanced Senses Telescopic Normal Sight +8 PER to Offset Range 'Elastic Eyes' 4 AP [-]
 54 Multipower Pool 67 AP Reserve 'Elastic Versatility' Unified Power (-1/4)
  5f STR +45 'Elastic Power' 45 AP 0 END (+1/2) 67 AP
  4f Teleport 8m x16 Ncbt = 128m 'Elastic Fluidity' 28 AP Position Shift (5 AP) Safe Aquatic (5 AP) 38 AP [0]
     0 END (+1/2) Safe Blind (+1/4) 67 AP Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-1/4)
 45 Resistant Protection 'Graphene Polymer Durability' 15 rPD/15 rED [-]
 39 Stretching 3m Malleable x64 = 256m Reach 'Elastic Stretch' 33 AP 0 END (+1/2) 49 AP Unified Power (-1/4) [0]
  1 VPP 1 point 1 AP 'Two Bit Inventor'* [-]
  1 Control Cost 6 points 3 AP All Slots Focus, Fragile, Obvious (-1) 'Two Bit Inventor'* [-]
174 Total Powers*

Perks

0 Positive Reputation: Professor Risked Life to Save Students (Limited Group)

0 Total Perks

Enhancers

3 Scientist

3 Total Enhancers

Skills

General Skills

- AK: Campaign City Everyman 8-
  - KS: Academic World Everyman 11-
  - LS: English Native Everyman – Literate
  - PS: Professor Everyman 11-
  - TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

0 Total General Skills

Intellect Skills

3 Computer Programming (Masters in Software Engineering) 13-
  3 Deduction (BA Philosophy of Logic) 13-
  3 Inventor (B.Eng. Biomechanical) * 13-
  3 Paramedic (Pre-med; trained Search and Rescue volunteer) 13-
  3 SS: Biology, Chemistry, Physics (minor degrees in the major sciences) 11-
  2 SS: Nanotechnology (PhD - almost posthumus) 13-

17 Total Intellect Skills

Interaction Skills

3 Bureaucratics (BA Economics) 12-
  3 Oratory (Public Speaking & University Debating Society - PSEUDS) 12-
  3 Social Media (White Hat Maven) 12-

9 Total Interaction Skills

201 Total Powers, Perks, Enhancers & Skills

400 Total CP

Complications

5 DNPC: Floating (as demands of campaign determine)
 10 Distinctive Feature: Stretchy & Malleable (Easily Concealed, Major Reaction)
 10 Hunted: Floating (As Powerful, NCI, PC Easy to Find, Watching Only, Infrequently)
  5 Physical Limitation: Begins to swell & inflate at low pressures (Infrequent, Barely)
 15 Psych Lim: Protective of Innocents
 10 Psych Lim: Scientific Curiosity
  5 Rivalry: Floating (as demands of campaign determine)
 15 Social: Secret Identity, Professor Paul Lymer

75 Total Complications

Background

Grad student Paul Lymer gave his PhD defense of his project, "Space Elevator Graphene Biopolymer Nanochemistry, Macro Economics and Mesophysics" swathed head to foot in bandages, in a hospital bed. He was not expected to pull through after the horrific injuries he received when the nanotechnology lab session he was heading was broken into by a VIPER squad. Sacrificing himself to ensure his students' escape selflessly, Paul was blasted into some very advanced experimental graphene biopolymer equipment by some exotic rays from the VIPER guns. That his own DNA was the basis for that particular biopolymer experiment (it was handy when he ran out of lab supplies) may have saved his life. It certainly altered it.

Powers

Strand is a being of ultra resilient, malleable superpolymer composite meshed with a living human form. Not just able to stretch a quarter kilometer and bounce to the stratosphere in a single bound, Strand is able to harness the elasticity of his substance to store and release immense power at phenomenal speeds, and practically flow like a liquid from point to point within more than a hundred meters. His presence is like a living ricochet crossed with an elastic web the proportions of a city block.

Tactics

Strand's first priority is protection of innocents. Other innocents first, then himself -- he thinks he's innocent -- by getting them out of range of danger. There's no equity in his view toward sources of danger, no code of honor: Strand is quite comfortable swatting villains like flies from far out of their reach, if he can, by surprise, from cover, preferably with a dumpster or wall unit in either hand. He's very new to the whole combat way of life, so is evolving his response to being shot at. He did not like it the first time. He did not like it at all.

Personality

Called 'Professor Pedantic' by his students for his classroom manner, Paul Lymer is more personable in social media, with his extensive blogs about how to best negotiate the complexities of academic office forms and procedures, and space elevator contemplations. It is only affectionate ribbing; Lymer has an aura of high regard among students who know what he would do for them, and fellow faculty who expected his PhD would have been awarded posthumously. Hesitatingly mild-mannered, Paul concentrates on precision in all things, seeming at understandable pains, for a main who spent almost a year in hospital and therapy regaining the ability to walk.

Strand operates at a different scale, reveling in speed and strength and span. He's a combination of cautious distance and thrill seeker daring, more intensely after the months of recuperation from being blasted into pretty much every separate experiment in an overcrowded advanced bionanotech lab. Paul has no interest in revealing his transfiguration to the wider world, at least not until he comes to a better understanding of both. If VIPER were prepared to leave him for dead just for some prototypes of space elevator system components, Lymer shudders to think what they'd do to get their hands on tissue samples of a living space elevator.

Up! Up! ..One day!

*Edit - Two Bit Inventor by moving 2 Body from Characteristics, and switching Systems Operator with Inventor. This gives the ability to MacGuyver some small gadgets (like say 2 points of Body in an OIF) with versatility, better expressing the character I'm after.

Interesting.  I would have never thought of Mr. Fantastic as a type of Speedster.

I am always impressed by your character designs. They are works of art.

I figured that if Extra Limbs could be a basis for SPD, and informed by Mr. Fantastic (and the advantages of Hero Designer clearly show in the link), Plastic Man, Ralph Dibny and Elastigirl examples, that Stretching could be even moreso.

Plus, it's fun to try alternate takes on characters, shake up pre-conceptions, and see what comes out.

In this case, I'm particularly pleased by my younger, less Cosmic, earlier-in-his-career alternate Mr. Not-Quite-Fantastic.. Which leads me to suspect I've made a math error along the way. This is a Speedster (a character type that's always been trouble for me in game) I think I could play, and have fun with.

I did a rough paper outline for a Mary Marvel style brick yesterday. 12 speed. 10 would work better, though, since it would bump up her defenses while still leaving her crazy fast.

I'll try and get around to typing her in.

I'm a little over OIAID limitations at the moment, though. Getting Captain Mercury to work properly requires a -1/4 limitation on most things, but I'm trying to think of one that floats my boat.

I suppose I could change "Wendy Wonder" (Mary Marvel) into "Mighty Maid" (Supergirl) by replacing her OIAID with "Not in the presence of Neonite" or something.

That doesn't help with Captain Mercury. Although... I could make him an alien named Blue Streak. who is affected by Glowing Blue Rocks.

I'd definitely want to see some rounding out skills, at least the skill profile of a skilled normal is my general preference, but nicely done, and fittingly quickly.

So.. 60 km/sec is undeniably speedster range and more than enough for any game purpose; can you get him to the speed of light, for bragging rights? (That's another ~5,000x as fast, I think?) 

Does he move fast underwater?

Can he see where he's going at top speed?

What would be his difficulties with getting into OIAID; a long delay, or something else at least somewhat debilitating in some way?

I believe you can get there from here. Possibly you may need an END Battery or some such, but doable.

Working on it.

I've given him a decent skill set.

I think the light speed thing is doable.

I'm not sure about underwater, or what senses would be appropriate. I might have to borrow from Hyper-Man.

The easiest/laziest OIAID model is Johnny Quick.

At the moment he's looking at about 500 points, without limitations. That's a bit much for a -1/4 limitation to cover up, so I might have to go with a -1/2. OIF?