Do you have a problem with telepathic pcs?

Kevin

Your Mind scanning character has to know his target in order to find them. He has to get + 10 to attack mentally, and a +20 to do so without his target knowing he is in his head. The target also knows exactly where the mind scanner is and what they are doing.

But this is another instance of not letting the player abuse the ability. Used well it adds a lot to the game. Used badly it is BORING to mind scan and attack from a continent away. The other players will be twiddling their thumbs staring at the player with hatred, and staring at the gamemaster for letting this happen.

Play well, and it is fun.

Play selfishly, and your mentalist gets attacked by robots with no ego and your fellow players start examing their shoelaces while you get pounded.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Kevin

But this is another instance of not letting the player abuse the ability. Used well it adds a lot to the game. Used badly it is BORING to mind scan and attack from a continent away. The other players will be twiddling their thumbs staring at the player with hatred, and staring at the gamemaster for letting this happen.

Play well, and it is fun. Play selfishly, and your mentalist gets attacked by robots with no ego and your fellow players start examing their shoelaces while you get pounded.

I bought the power, I deserve the benefits. It's up to the gamemaster to alter things another way. If the players sit back while the GM takes revenge on my character, I hope that GM and players never play in one of my games...

Secondly, one of my characters - Angel, who's both a mentalist and a brick (if he chooses to be) would laugh at robots. I think someone has Charles Xavier stuck in their head as a psionic archetype. LOL :o Why kind of novice, puts all his eggs in one "power basket?"

Oh, the power of the word "and."

Anyone ever heard of the FTL and Desolidification combination? You mindscan and find the location of the villian. Then, you go desolid and FTL to where the villian is.

You can't handle the power, don't let it into your game.

Originally posted by Galadorn

I bought the power, I deserve the benefits. It's up to the gamemaster to alter things another way. If the players sit back while the GM takes revenge on my character, I hope that GM and players never play in one of my games...

Secondly, one of my characters - Angel, who's both a mentalist and a brick (if he chooses to be) would laugh at robots. I think someone has Charles Xavier stuck in their head as a psionic archetype. LOL :o Why kind of novice, puts all his eggs in one "power basket?"

Oh, the power of the word "and."

Anyone ever heard of the FTL and Desolidification combination? You mindscan and find the location of the villian. Then, you go desolid and FTL to where the villian is.

You can't handle the power, don't let it into your game.

I wasn't proposing that the GM take revenge on anyone. There are logical consequences that occur in the context of the game for the actions of the characters. EVERYTHING is story driven.

Players, however, are free to and often do make choices about how their charcters will react based on how much (or how little) they enjoy playing with the characters in the game.

However, as for as "I bought the power, I deserve the benefits" goes:

There are players (and I am NOT saying anyone reading this is one) who abuse game mechanics.

There are players who abuse the SPIRIT of the game, if not the mechanics.

It would be profoundly dull to play in a game where one character routinely mindscanned and attacked the foe from a distance. Personally, I prefer to use mind scanning for comic book flavor, for last ditch efforts, for unusual circumstances and NOT as a routine fight tactic.

Some experienced players actually ENJOY pure character concepts like telepaths, bricks, speedsters, etc. I am one.

Doesn't make us novices to enjoy playing a character with strengths and weaknesses.

If anyone has a good concept for a mentalist brick with desolidification and faster than light capabilities, I am sure that combat monster would work just fine for them.

It probably wouldn't work for me.

Originally posted by Victim

If you don't expect a normal guy with a gun to pose much of physical challenge to character loaded with combat powers, then why do you expect a normal guy to mentally challenge characters loaded with mental/investigation powers? Are those powers less super?

I agree. But most GMs don't seem to have a handle on how to handle mental powers. And that's why I asked someone to consider writing an article for Digital Hero. Do some research and share. :)

If messing the PCs up in combat against agents requires well trained enemies with good equipment, diversionary tactics (bombs, hostages, rubble falling on civilians), and limited objectives (delay the heroes so X can happen, etc) since total victory is unlikely, then shouldn't similar methods be required for any would be criminal mastermind?

I agree. But, again, giving every agent ego defense in a non-psionic centered campaign is overdoing it as well. Where's the balance? How can I not give every agent ego defense and still keep the players from finding out everything in one telepathic fell swoop?

Telepathiclly attempting to discern the teenager's motivations might work. If you consider a confusing mix of reasons without context to be good data. And it doesn't tell you how or why she got ahold of the armor. Finally, everything you get from her is colored by her perceptions. You get information, yes. Useful or accurate info, well, maybe not.

Yes, and not having accurate information is a twist the GM would have to include. And this twist takes more thought and extra time to figure out all the plot implications. I wonder if anyone has some solid solutions and tricks for handling telepathic characters in adventures, in a subtle and effective fashion, without giving away the whole store?

If anyone has a good concept for a mentalist brick with desolidification and faster than light capabilities, I am sure that combat monster would work just fine for them.

It probably wouldn't work for me.

That's fine. Some people enjoy using the game mechanics to their maximum effect as well. Each GM and player has their own limitations and weaknesses as well.

Myself I ENJOY using the game mechanics. As far as the spirit of the game goes, I treat my games as a GM as judge at his court bench, trying to be fair to everyone. Point is, though no game system is perfect, the bottom line comes into play. If you don't follow the rules in the heat of the moment, how can I know you're being fair?

I had a close friend and someone who game mastered one year longer then me, who suddenly changed the rules in the middle of the game. This was AD&D 1st Edition, he didn't like rules on detect invisibility, which at the time let you detect secret doors, invisible characters, ethereal characters, etc. So when I cast the spell to find a pesky secret door, he said he wouldn't allow secret doors to be detected with detect invisibility. This was an abuse of the rules, by a DM.

Needless to say, since most people don't expect, or encounter an invisible character, I didn't take detect invisibility again. It was pretty much a usless spell after that point, as far as I was concerned.

I think so many GMs don't even try to be fair to each individual player, so it drives the fun out of the game - favoritism has to go, and revenge with it.

[/b]

I agree. But, again, giving every agent ego defense in a non-psionic centered campaign is overdoing it as well.

Point of order... if one of your series stars is a potent telepath who can routinely rip info out of any non-superhuman mind with a reliable chance of success...you are, by dint of that fact alone, IN a psionic centered campaign. Every episode will have as one of the primary characters a potent psionic telepath.

This is not me being flip, well a little, but trying to get across a point. The decisions of "what type of game it is" are perhaps even more determined by the PC designs the GM approved than by the overarching story vision and NPCs the GM plans to use.

Swap some nouns around in your question... replace agents with "rope bridge traps", mental defense with "anti aircraft guns", and telepathy with "flying."

If a GM was questioning how to handle fliers without making all combats indoors or adding flying NPCs or jet packs... people would likely be pointing out that he does need to consider his PC abilities when choosing these type of "campaign definitions" like no jetpacks and no flying npcs.

The same holds true here.

One option i would give off right away... perhaps this game should not feature agents as significant elements. Perhaps this game should, to meet the demands the PCS you approved dictate, feature mostly superhumans and aliens and robots and the like. Save the agent level stuff for those games where the PCs are appropriate.

Of course, agents can be used, just used well. Sometimes mental defense. i used that as a clue in my last hero game. Some VIPER thugs were unprotected. Some viper thugs were protected. Soon the PCS realized these different agents were working at cross purposes and deduced some mentalist was running the latter group. He was conditioning the minds of his lackeys. They soon realized they could use the mental powers to mind rape and follow through on the unprotected viper guys, and that was the much larger viper group, but this was simply serving the goals of the other gang, who also was growing stronger as they broke up the non-mental group and the mentalist recruited the stragglers. The real danger was the mentalist backed vipers which they could not get through easy mental tricks.

Also, from a villain perspective, why would a villain send an agent up against a mentalist PC if that agent had useful info? Thats tantamount to giving your thugs t-shirts to wear on the crime with the location of your secret base on it. So he would either use agents in an in-and-out way, creating distractions to keep the supers yied up at those times, or not use his agents in this venue at all.

It all comes down to the fact that the story and type of game the GM wants to run are wholly dependent on the PCs she approves and not independant of them. Those choices about type of game need to be made specifically focused on the PCs, being more or less "what type of game will enable me to highlight these guys well."

Let me give you and example far outside the realm of supers... my current stargate game. It is currently in chargen and prep to startup in january. I started work on the big pieces and rules and such and as my players started giving me their notions of characters., I realized i needed to change up.

First player discussed running an alien with healing powers. OK, no problem, invent a rule or two and it even has series precedent. Second character thought of a guy who was into medic and rescue. OK thats cool too. Third guy wanted to be air force pararescue. OK... now i gotta think. Three of my four guys were all talking about different versions of healer. The secondary traits they described still gave me plenty of differentiation but their overall "its what I do" was more focused on healing than other things.

Panning pauses... i have a few beers... then it hits me... instead of their team being the normal exploratory team, their team would be a medical response or search and rescue team designed to respond to emergency situations and get people out alive.

So this means while they can go on the occasional exploratory first-in missions, the majority of their missions would be of the "going in to rescuethe first in guys" or "go in to deal with medical emergency" types.

Did i start off as "this is what my campaign is about" being that? Nope. but the purpose of the "campaign definitions" is to create a game that will be a good fit for those PCS and thus enjoyable for their players.

Its not mangling or distorting or twisting your game to make it a good fit for the player's characters... its good GMing.

I think so many GMs don't even try to be fair to each individual player, so it drives the fun out of the game - favoritism has to go, and revenge with it.

I agree with you 100%

The game has to be fun. The game has to be fair. Everyone needs an opportunity to shine.

And I was writing as a player when I wrote I liked pure concepts. Just a personal player preference thing. As a gamemaster, if a player can make a concept work with a good back story, they can play it.

I also like subtle powers. Intricate abilities. No problems.

But if every game had the mentalist solving the problem by mindscanning and remote attacking, the game would not be enjoyable. It is possible in game mechanics terms. But, to use comic examples, the team telepaths don't solve all the problems sitting in their base sipping tea and mind scanning. Even though they could.

This is my only point.

But if every game had the mentalist solving the problem by mindscanning and remote attacking, the game would not be enjoyable. It is possible in game mechanics terms. But, to use comic examples, the team telepaths don't solve all the problems sitting in their base sipping tea and mind scanning. Even though they could.

One point I haven't noticed, and which I feel compelled to bring up, is that "mentalism" is a very generic sort of concept. Some power constructs simply do not exist in some fictional universes, and others exist and are "balanced" because they can be thwarted.

For example, telepathy in the Lensmen setting works via "thought-waves". You can get a thought screen that blocks incoming (and outgoing!) telepathic powers, you have Mental Defense, you have Telepathy with a serious Megascale, but at the same time your really significant powers (like memory retrieval and editing) must work up close. With interstellar distances, this can make it quite difficult to just mind-blast an opponent into oblivion from orbit - you must be up close, and even then, the "trickier" telepathic powers are hard to learn.

Tune your allowed mentalism powers based on how they work in your setting. Work out a coherent model for telepathy, and apply it as a standard to all characters (PCs and NPCs) in your setting. Require characters without significant telepathic experience to buy limitations on what Powers they can use via Mind Scan (and maybe Mind Link as well).

Play around with "standard" limitations on mental powers. Case in point: "The Shadow" (the movie, with Alec Baldwin), which features three mentalists: The Shadow, Margo Lane, and Shiwan Khan. The Shadow's Mind Control seems like it was bought with Reduced Penetration - he can't just Mind Control Khan into giving up, or Margo into forgetting about him, but he can dominate his uncle easily enough. Margo has Mind Link and Mental Defense, but not much else. Khan has Mind Control enough to overpower most mortals, even Margo with whatever Mental Defense she has. By using some of the same limits on mental powers as on physical ones, mentalist combat can become a lot more tactical, ESPECIALLY if most of the PCs have access to at least a degree of Mental Defense (natural or artificial).

I agree completely.

I prefer to build mental powers, especially specialized ones, with advantages and limitations, instead of as simple constructs.

Cumulative is an excellent one. Used with just a die or two and lots of increased maximum, it represents a mental power that hardly affects the resistant, but given enough time affects almost everyone else.

Reduced Penetration is great for the powers of inexperienced mentalists. They have trouble affecting experienced mentalists or anyone with some mental defense. Plus, it helps get the cost down (which was more of an issue for starting mentalists back in 4thEd, really).

Well, instead of mental defense, consider giving Agents some 2 point skill levels with Ego rolls so they can break out more easily. This could easily reflect some strong will, mental indoctrination (cults, secret societies), or torture resistance (that Air Force survival and evasion thing). A mentalist could still dismantle these agents in combat with ego attack, but probably couldn't completely overpower them with mind control or telepathy.

Giving henchmen information only on a need to know basis is another useful tool, employed by governments around the world. Also, minions may not need to know the correct information. The Imperial agents you telepathicly interrogate explain that the new death Star is under construction at Endor. But only a handful people know that all the main systems are operational so the station will kill the rebel fleet when it attacks. Pity the poor techs who installed the weapons systems. These tricks also reduce the number of effective witnesses, so a villain is less likely to be ratted out.

And there could be some kind of illusions versus mental that some people can throw up. With appropriate lims, it'd be a non-powered power. I'm reminded of The Vlad Taltos books when the main character is questioned by the Imperial Orb (detects lies). "I think he commited suicide." (with the things he said to me, he was asking to get killed.) Or something like that. It was funnier (or, actually somewhat funny) in the original text.

Originally posted by tesuji

Point of order... if one of your series stars is a potent telepath who can routinely rip info out of any non-superhuman mind with a reliable chance of success...you are, by dint of that fact alone, IN a psionic centered campaign. Every episode will have as one of the primary characters a potent psionic telepath.

This does seem a little flip to me. Basically what you are doing is negating a characters power, or reducing it significantly. While there is an issue with how much freewheeling a character should be able to do telepathically, there is also an issue with plausibility of every agent having ego defense.

In X-Men, the 1980 series, Charles Xavier was teaching the X-Men how to defend against psionic powers. In short, they had probably 3 points of ego defense, going up to five points after a while. This is different. At the very least, just starting out, a telepathic character should be able to freewheel a bit, until his enemies were able to train their agents to give them some ego defense. But outright negating a character's powers, demotivates a player to play that kind of character at all.

The point is this, how are we to handle telepathy in a balanced way. Being a rules lawyer of a type, I would say the rules hold the answer. Some of my best GMing is when I fine-tune powers, skill levels, combat maneuvers, etc. so that it's like a chess match between PCs and NPCs. I got rave reviews on my games when this goes on, even though players had to work harder. I would never try to do an all or nothing style of play; telepathy totally works or doesn't - its too demoralizing to telepathic players.

I agree with you 100%

The game has to be fun. The game has to be fair. Everyone needs an opportunity to shine.

Exactly. Read my statement directly above to see how I think the game should be run.

And I was writing as a player when I wrote I liked pure concepts. Just a personal player preference thing. As a gamemaster, if a player can make a concept work with a good back story, they can play it.

I also like subtle powers. Intricate abilities. No problems.

But if every game had the mentalist solving the problem by mindscanning and remote attacking, the game would not be enjoyable.

I agree. :) But my argument is for not going to all extremes to negate a player's abilities. I also think there should be realism and plausability to agents. Every agent having ego defense in a non-telepathically centered game, is not plausible in my book.

And I don't think it's up to the player, I think its up to the GM. In my 100pt. low fantasy game, I give +1 experience point for special effect relevant use of powers, i.e. You don't throw ice powers around all the time with your VPP, if your generally a fire mage. Doing something like this I think would help quell the unfettered use of telepathy and mind scan.

It is possible in game mechanics terms. But, to use comic examples, the team telepaths don't solve all the problems sitting in their base sipping tea and mind scanning. Even though they could.

This is my only point.

Well, I think its it to the the GM as I stated above, not up to the players. Players will get very good over time with creative use of their powers, maybe even beyond the GMs ability to adjucate them. But I think the point is, players and GMs must work together, to create a good game - but don't put all the burden on the Player, if you haven't talked with him about it.

Originally posted by Victim

Well, instead of mental defense, consider giving Agents some 2 point skill levels with Ego rolls so they can break out more easily. This could easily reflect some strong will, mental indoctrination (cults, secret societies), or torture resistance (that Air Force survival and evasion thing). A mentalist could still dismantle these agents in combat with ego attack, but probably couldn't completely overpower them with mind control or telepathy.

I don't want to get too arithmetic here, but I think ego defense is more cost effective. Ego defense both reduces the effect of mind powers, thus making it easier to break out of in the long run. Of course the skill levels with Ego rolls would help with all non-ego attack powers, but it would still leave the agent wide open to ego attacks. I'm not just looking for a solution to telepathy, but being economic as well. ;)

Giving henchmen information only on a need to know basis is another useful tool, employed by governments around the world. Also, minions may not need to know the correct information.

I think this solution is good to cover all compulsion and telepathic powers. Even if mental illusions were used, the egoist couldn't fool an agent into telling him what the agent doesn't know. :o

Any other solutions? We have:

• 1. Ego defense (I think the worst solution)
    2. Ego skill levels
    3. Ignorance
    4. Misinformation.

What other solutions can people come up with? I can think of a character having a multiform that is another total personality, which retains only the knowledge and experience it had while activated (Special Effect). But I'm trying to find more down to earth solutions, i.e. doesn't cost much or anything at all.

[/b]

This does seem a little flip to me. Basically what you are doing is negating a characters power, or reducing it significantly. While there is an issue with how much freewheeling a character should be able to do telepathically, there is also an issue with plausibility of every agent having ego defense.

[/b]

Actually, and this is a big part of the point i was making, it is not a question of every agent has mental defense... its more a question of is this a game where agents play a significant role at all? What role do they need to play?

It is simply put about recognizing that you ARE in a psionically centered game when every week you feature as a star a potent telepath.

It is about how the challneges they face need to be chosen based on those PCs abilities and how the interaction of those will produce the drama and excitment and even humor you wish.

In X-Men, the 1980 series, Charles Xavier was teaching the X-Men how to defend against psionic powers. In short, they had probably 3 points of ego defense, going up to five points after a while. This is different. At the very least, just starting out, a telepathic character should be able to freewheel a bit, until his enemies were able to train their agents to give them some ego defense. But outright negating a character's powers, demotivates a player to play that kind of character at all.

[/b]

Ok i am at a loss. Where did i say anything about outright negating a players powers?

I didn't.

Now, as for the "honeymoon period" you seem to be describing, where th bad guys start out with no mental defense and start to get it after a while, that might well make sense early in the career of a mentalist hero who is the first mentalist ever to appear on the planet.

However, if the hero is part of a world more akin to marvel or sc, where there are plenty of other supers and plent of them came before him, its perhaps plausible that every villain intthe world did not ignore mentlism issues until this new guy came on the scene. maybe the mentalism defenses provided to the agents are because of several foiled master plans done over 10 years ago by Mind Master raping agents minds.

However, let me say again, the purposes of the challenges chosen is to highlight and spotlight the PCs power in ways so as to make them each feel equal and appreciated. If that means the majority of the agents dont get mind raped easily enough to make him the go to guy for most every plot, thats what it means.

The point is this, how are we to handle telepathy in a balanced way. Being a rules lawyer of a type, I would say the rules hold the answer.

[/b]

In my experience, rules rarely if ever hold the "answer" to balance. No rule i have ever seen carries anywhere near as much balancing power as does the answer to "what challenges will they be faced with today." Scenario is the 800 lb gorilla of balance. Rules are the lint in the pocket of said 800 lb gorilla's black jeweled battle shorts.

Some of my best GMing is when I fine-tune powers, skill levels, combat maneuvers, etc. so that it's like a chess match between PCs and NPCs. I got rave reviews on my games when this goes on, even though players had to work harder.

[/b]

I would suspect that you mean you fine tuned the skill levels and so forth of the challenges/characters they faced off against. Whether this or that skill level costs 3 or 2 is a rule and equates to the lint mentioned above.. Whether this enemy has 3 skill levels or four is a scenario issue and is part of the 800 lb gorilla also mentioned above.

I would never try to do an all or nothing style of play; telepathy totally works or doesn't - its too demoralizing to telepathic players.

[/b]

right... i am just confused since i said nothing about all or nothing styles.

It is simply put about recognizing that you ARE in a psionically centered game when every week you feature as a star a potent telepath.

I don't want to quibble over semantics, but I would say you are in a game with a psionic, not a telepathy centered game. Check out the work centered:

• Cen·ter ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sntr)
    n.
    6. A person or thing that is the chief object of attention, interest, activity, or emotion.

The game telepath is not the chief object of attention, the game does not revolve around one player I thought? Does every character in the group have telepathy or ego powers? That, in the meaning of the word centered, is what a psionic or telepathic centered game means. You may be talking about a telepathically oriented game, or a telepathy inclusive game, but not a telepathic centered game.

I guess I have the temperament of a writer. ;) Words have specific meaning, connotative and denotative - please try to use words more exactly.

There are many more powers in the game than telepathy. Unless you are running and egoist game, in which all characters powers are psionic, there is no justification for an agent, who has never met the psionic hero, to have ego defense, unless he is an egoist or psionic agent.

And btw, the thread has turned to talk about agents, to stay in context.

However, let me say again, the purposes of the challenges chosen is to highlight and spotlight the PCs power in ways so as to make them each feel equal and appreciated.

For once, I'm in complete agreement with Tesuji. That is how I see things too. But I admit that that is a GM style thing. Part of the old Storytelling x Simulationism divide. Batman's villains are crafted by the writers with Batman in mind. They're quite different from Superman's villains. That is the storytelling way of crafting an adventure. To the simulationist though, "realism" is a more pressing concern. And there is no realistic reason for the rest of the world to be crafted taking the PCs's traits into account.

You got a lot less headaches when you take the storytelling view.

Originally posted by Rene

For once, I'm in complete agreement with Tesuji. That is how I see things too. But I admit that that is a GM style thing. Part of the old Storytelling x Simulationism divide. Batman's villains are crafted by the writers with Batman in mind. They're quite different from Superman's villains. That is the storytelling way of crafting an adventure. To the simulationist though, "realism" is a more pressing concern. And there is no realistic reason for the rest of the world to be crafted taking the PCs's traits into account.

You got a lot less headaches when you take the storytelling view.

And to a person who holds both views as important, balance is key. ;)

Originally posted by Vorsch

Small point, since when were agents allowed mental defence? Its in the SUPER powers section, if they can have that what else?

Vorsch

So what? If they need it, and it's justifiable by training or technology, they get it.

In a Champs game, don't get hung up on what section of the book things come out of.

Originally posted by Vorsch

Small point, since when were agents allowed mental defence? Its in the SUPER powers section, if they can have that what else?

Vorsch

It's all in the SFX. There are several "powers" thar are quite adequate for normal humans to represent "training", even agents. Small amounts of Running, Enhanced Senses, Damage Reduction, Hand Attack, and Mental Defense are the most common.

Regarding one of these running points, the issue surrounding "is this a psionics campaign" and "how should the NPCs react", I think in a non-highpowered game it's not a real issue as typically the mentalist isn't going to have too much else in powers and should be fairly confined with weaknesses by that - he should be vulnerable to all sorts of things. Unless it's a "whodunit" series, it shouldn't be an issue - and if its a "whodunit", the GM either needs to do a LOT of work to justify most plots' twists that defray a telepath's abilities or just say NO (or properly circumscribe the telepathy, so many uses per day, etc.).

In a high-powered campaign, even a "non-psionics" one, I would find it hard to believe that there wouldn't be some level of resistance for any "serious" challenges to the PCs, and those should be EXPECTED, given that even if there are no psionics, with all the other mutant threats and high-tech, it shouldn't take long for the bad guys to catch up. I'd give the "honeymoon" described earlier, naturally it takes time and that should be a part of the story (unless one wants to just "skip ahead" and assume the psionic guy is known already). But after that, at least some organizations (not the street police) would develop reasonable protections.

You might decry that a PC in a high-powered world might not get well-known enough for that to be reasonable, and from some level of realism I agree, but then it seems that you must not be making the PCs "near stage" let alone "center stage" in that world. And if that is the case, then I'd argue you must have some relatively low-powered heroes and the situation should be balanced from that.

However, if somehow you have a mentalist with a team and they are reasonably high-powered but remain anonymous due to whatever campaign circumstances, AND they continue to run against normals and supers with no mental resistances, I'd argue you are deliberately not running a challenging campaign. That's okay, if that's what you want.

Just my thoughts to add to the mix.

Originally posted by zornwil

Regarding one of these running points, the issue surrounding "is this a psionics campaign" and "how should the NPCs react", I think in a non-highpowered game it's not a real issue as typically the mentalist isn't going to have too much else in powers and should be fairly confined with weaknesses by that - he should be vulnerable to all sorts of things. Unless it's a "whodunit" series, it shouldn't be an issue - and if its a "whodunit", the GM either needs to do a LOT of work to justify most plots' twists that defray a telepath's abilities or just say NO (or properly circumscribe the telepathy, so many uses per day, etc.).

Yeah. This is probably the way I would have to go. I'm too fond of whodunits to have much room for telepaths. Unfortunately, N-Ray and invisibility will have to go too. :(

Oh well. You can't have everything.

Alan