Realistic medieval and fantasy medieval combat

Narf the Mouse

Question would certain arms and or armor have bonus to PRE? Im thinking that maybe certain weapons are more feared? Or implied the wielder has more martial prowness? Armor could give a wearer more confidence? This for NPCs I think would add some realism. Of course PCs woukdn't be held to the same standard.

The Greeks certainly seem to have valued shining their metal gear ( shields mostly) so it could glint threateningly. And clashing sword to shield was popular...a threatening action? Or " demonstrating power"?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure. In general, I only give PRE bonuses if there is clear difference in gear and or percieved skill - so a heavily-armoured guy is going to look pretty threatening to a bunch of bandits in rags or leather armour ... But not to an experienced duellist, even though he has no armour. Likewise someone who's a known badass will get the reputation bonus.

As for things like clashing weapons to shield, that sounds like it qualifies as a threatening action. Generally, I am fairly liberal with what qualifies for a bonus to encourage players to be creative - I just don't let them stack too many bonus dice.

Cheers, Mark

PRE Attacks are liberally used by my players and highly encouraged by me.  I have also had major bad guys use PRE attacks on the players.  When they are at +10 PRE and find out what it is like to be on the other side of that they start asking "how can I improve my presence?" :yes:

I also encourage people who have Oratory to make that roll as part of their PRE attack to see if they get a d6 or 2 bonus.  And positive reputation can be a helpp.

They have learned that if they ever single stroke kill (or knockout) an opponent it is a good time for a PRE attack.  They have had entire bands of brigands/orcs/etc either give up or run away after a great PRE attack.

It just makes the combat a lot more fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would drop in the fact that I took inspiration from this thread.  I have some adventurers in a dungeon where goblins and kobolds are at war.  the goblins have the advantage of numbers the kobolds are supposed to be a trained war band with some higher level leaders (it is D&D 3.5).

I constructed small 4 kobold units - the point unit carries a huge shield with some cutouts and works on complete defensive mode.  The next two run interference, taking cover behind the shield and using their actions to hinder opponents or helping the main unit.  The main unit is one of the higher level kobolds wielding a pike at range, over the cover of his unit.  It provided the heroes with a different challenge - slow moving but difficult to break down and finding it easier to deal damage to them.

the secret is obviously to break up the unit, the big secret is working out how.  

mini-kobold pike blocks for the win...