Bracing with bows

Btw no one memtion American Indians and their bow skills. Wonder how they compare and contrast?

Dunno, I always picture them more like Riding Horse archers or melee fighters. Light cavallery to infantery.

The have about the same thing as the Persian Army at Thermopylae - designed for wide, hot steppes.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno, I always picture them more like Riding Horse archers or melee fighters. Light cavallery to infantery.

The have about the same thing as the Persian Army at Thermopylae - designed for wide, hot steppes.

Don't forget that there are many many tribes that lived in pretty much every environment in the land. I guess most people think of the Sioux Nations because they are usually mentioned in Western Cowboy movies.

If you got to practice 1/7th of the week, then you are professional soldier in my book.

Sure, that was just a response to the assertion that archers were upper class landowners, which in England at least, was not true.

American Indians as Tasha notes, were not a very homogeneous group.  Some were superb horse fighters, some were peaceful farmers, some were excellent stealth guerilla types, etc.  And, of course, within tribes there was a terrific variety as well; some of them were no good at fighting but were great hunters, some were neither and pretended to talk to spirits so they had some status in the tribe, etc.

Natives dumped their bows as soon as they could get rifles, of course, since the rifles hit harder, were easier to use, could hold multiple rounds, had better range, and seemed more magical with the flash and the bang.