Damage Shield

steph

Hmmm....I think I'd have to see the build on this one.  I mean it is a defensive power, so the abort is technically allowed.  That said, I've seen too many builds where the Damage Shield was clearly designed to be its own attack, rather than just a "back off" sort of thing, where anyone too close (or in one case a mental DS) got a buzz for the duration they were there.

Edit: I see eepjr24 beat me to this response, and was a bit more articulate in the issue.

6e2 p21 says:

A character can never Abort to make an attack (including to use a Damage Shield, which is not a defensive power). However, if a character has an attack of some kind Linked to a Defense Power (for example, a Damage Shield Linked to his Resistant Protection), he may activate the attack when he Aborts to activate the Defense Power.

So in general, yes. But I do agree as a GM I would want to look at the build to make sure the player wasn't deliberately trying to get around the prohibition on Aborting to an Attack. For example, if they wanted to attach a 12d6 Blast to just 1rPD, that would look munchkiney to me.

6e2 p21 says:

So in general, yes. But I do agree as a GM I would want to look at the build to make sure the player wasn't deliberately trying to get around the prohibition on Aborting to an Attack. For example, if they wanted to attach a 12d6 Blast to just 1rPD, that would look munchkiney to me.

I'd allow it, since the dragon would not be affected by either when using the player for a snack in the prequel to play session. =P

- E

I've known players that would build powers that way, so I'd be inclined to house-rule that the Damage Shield doesn't kick in until after the attack lands. YMMV.

I've known players that would build powers that way, so I'd be inclined to house-rule that the Damage Shield doesn't kick in until after the attack lands. YMMV.

I was joking a bit above about the dragon, but I would generally rule that the defense power has to be higher AP than the offense to allow the abort.

- E

I was joking a bit above about the dragon, but I would generally rule that the defense power has to be higher AP than the offense to allow the abort.

- E

Offense powers approach 60 AP. 20 Resistant Protection ED+PD would barely amount to 60.

I do not think math is nessesary. When in doubt, do not forgot the user of the "attack" is still Aborting. And needs to take the hit (or at least block with success) in order to use the damage. And that he could have propably turned on that power at any other time anyway.