Critical Hits in the Hero System

tigersloth

16 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

If it is the hero that is one-shotted or killed then they sit out the fight (boring), get captured (which they hate) or get killed (which makes them hate you!).  ?  The risks to each side are the same, the consequences are much higher on the player side.

Thanks, Doc, for saying that better than I could.

Though I will maintain that the risk to the player is actually _higher_ since, as you pointed out, they will be in every contest, having dice rolled against them.  The villains will rotate back and to.  I know a lot of people go the "you don't take crits against players" route, but you know, I work my butt off putting together good villains and good stories, and it's rather unfair to watch that all be blatted away for something the system isn't designed around anyway.  And as I said before, if you are immune to crits, that's an awful lot of limited-situation (but still a lot) defense you're getting effectively for free.

16 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

All I can say is that after 30 + years of actual play with critical I have NEVER came across the issues that many of you guys are griping about. (Except the GM when his villain is one-shoted!). 

1)  I can't count the number of times I've made that same comment on this board, or variations of it.  I totally get where you're coming from; really I do.

2) The fact that it has never come up in no way affects the probability that it ever will.  If you ask the truly superstitious, it increases the odds considerably because you are "due."

3) I am not at all an expert, and though I show having been here a long time, it's in and out, with years-long lay-outs.  That being said, I would ask you to consider that nearly every thread that runs more than three pages on this board has moved into theory and philosophy of the thing being discussed, and is of little to no practical value.  It simply becomes an exchange of thoughts and math for those interested in continuing to plumb the possibilities.  Run with it, Dude.  No one here is saying it's going do what the math shows that it will do; we can't guarantee that the universe is always logical.  And no one here is saying it's going to wreck your game.  It's just a discussion of opinions, rationales, and potentials at this point.  Enjoy it. :D  I always enjoy it when the mathier minds get involved, and have a particular appreciation of Hugh's talent with numbers and theory.  It's like my own Bill Nye show :), only about HERO!  What's not to love?