Skill ranks questions.

herrswags

I've got a few questions about skill ranks. Steve Long suggested I ask here since I have the HD files.

I've got a character in my game who's basically resurrected 1930s pulp noir Batman. Since Batman knows all of the things Batman knows, we gave him +3 to all skill (limited to things from the 1930s). Once his HeroDesigner sheet, there's a 12-, 13- etc., next to all of his stats. If he's got a +3 to all skills, does that mean that his  target number is whatever the linked stat is +3? I.e., if he's at a 13- for all Intelligence skills, with his +3 to all skills is he now at a 16-? I was trying to represent the fact that pulp noir superheroes know basically everything regardless of the fact that they're not powered, but I don't know if I did it right.

Similar question. I've got a speedster (Godspeed file) with OCV 7, DCV 7. He's got +2 to all HTH skills. He's got a Power skill for his Speedster Tricks multipower, which includes various speedster tricks from the Champions powers books. There's the flurry of blows +9d6, hitting in a trail for +4d6, and a taser touch for 6d6NND. Standard stuff. With one rank in Power: Speedster tricks he's at 14-. Does his +2 to HTH make that a 16- for the attacks? It seems really high, but I honestly don't know.

Godspeed.hdc Godspeed.pdf Silver Spectre.pdf Spectre.hdc

From the 10.000ft level, you buy into a skill and get a base value. Each additional rank nets you a +1 to the target number.

There are 5 distinct skill cost structures as outlined on 6E1 Chapter 3 (buying skills) in the sidebar.

Each skill can have a different base (commonly 9 + Stat/5) thereby making the total +3 higher than the base.

You may consider a broad +3 all around skill level (listed as a skill...) for a total of 36 points (if the GM allows) vs. trying to up every skill. 😄

not exactly.

So, for example: the +2 HTH would add to all those melee-range attacks.  but it woudl make the OCV a 9, instead of a 7, or they could be put into DCV for a 7 OCV/9DCV, or split for OCV 8/DCV 8.

the +3 to all skills adds to the final skill value.

So, for example: If Batclone has a 3 points in Deduction, and a 13 INT, he would have a 12- in Deduction, the +3 makes ita  15-.  Meanwhile if its an 18 dex, with 3 points in Acrobatics, that would be a skill of 13-, putting the +3 to that would be a 16-

it woudl only apply to skills he is fully taken, it cannot apply to familarity (8-) or skills he never bought

13 hours ago, herrswags said:

I've got a few questions about skill ranks. Steve Long suggested I ask here since I have the HD files.

I've got a character in my game who's basically resurrected 1930s pulp noir Batman. Since Batman knows all of the things Batman knows, we gave him +3 to all skill (limited to things from the 1930s). On his HeroDesigner sheet, there's a 12-, 13- etc., next to all of his stats. If he's got a +3 to all skills, does that mean that his  target number is whatever the linked stat is +3?

Not necessarily. FIRST you have to actually spend points to BUY THE SKILLS. This character doesn't have anything listed under Skills.

I was trying to represent the fact that pulp noir superheroes know basically everything regardless of the fact that they're not powered, but I don't know if I did it right.

I don't think you did it right. This character knows nothing. Overall Levels can be used to improve Skills but won't actually give you a Skill you don't have.

Okay, I'm running into a formatting problem so I'm going to split this post up.

Lucius Alexander

No I didn't I have nothing to do with this palindromedary!

Similar question. I've got a speedster (Godspeed file) with OCV 7, DCV 7. He's got +2 to all HTH skills.

No, he doesn't. No one does. What he has is 2 levels with hand to hand COMBAT. With the exception of Overall Levels, a Level is either a SKill Level and can help Skills, or a Combat Level and can help combat.

herrswags said:

"the flurry of blows +9d6, hitting in a trail for +4d6, and a taser touch for 6d6NND. Standard stuff. With one rank in Power: Speedster tricks he's at 14-. Does his +2 to HTH make that a 16- for the attacks? It seems really high, but I honestly don't know."

First of all, I'm going to point out that for another 2 pts spent on DEX, your roll with DEX Skills including the Power Skill will be 15 or less.

Then I'm going to explain that you don't have to make that Power Skill roll to use ANY Of the listed attacks. You bought the powers, you can use the powers. What you do have to do to use them successfully is make an Attack Roll, which is not the same as a Skill Rolll. Your Attack Roll is 11, PLUS your Offensive Combat Value, MINUS the target's Defensive Combat Value. What these Combat SKill Levels do is modify either your OCV or your DCV. And since you have two, you can split them and do both if you want - be harder to hit and have an easier time hitting.

Lucius Alexander

Did the palindromedary eat my tagline?

Godspeed.hdc 67.55 kB · 1 download Godspeed.pdf 82.84 kB · 1 download Silver Spectre.pdf 83.32 kB · 2 downloads Spectre.hdc 92.01 kB · 1 download

This is less a Hero Designer question and more of a rules question; you'd get a better response if it were moved to the HERO System Discussion board.  

When you buy Skill Levels (including Combat Skill Levels), they don't automatically add to the Skills (or combat).  Instead, you have to allocate them during play, and -- here's the crucial difference -- each Skill Level (including Combat Skill Levels) can only be allocated to one use at a time.  So if you had, let's say, +2 Combat Skill Levels with Hand-to-Hand Combat, then you could use them to add +2 OCV to one hand-to-hand attack, +1 to OCV and +1 to DCV when in hand-to-hand combat, or +2 to DCV when in hand-to-hand.  None of those would work with any type of combat other than hand-to-hand.  If you had +3 Skill Levels with all "thief" Skills (Concealment, Lockpicking, Sleight of Hand, Stealth), then you could take +3 on one use, but if you needed to use more than one of them on the same task, you'd have to allocate the +3 between the Skills you wanted to use.