Ordering The Dragon's Gate

Gold Rush Games

The Dragon's Gate will be shipping in about a week! We are extremely excited about this book, being our first new San Angelo setting release in several years. The quality and detail is awesome and it surely reaches - if not exceeds - the bar set by previous San Angelo products.

Unfortunately, distribution pre-order sales of the book have been lower than expected. It looks as though many retailers will not have The Dragon's Gate in stock before Christmas. But rest assured you can still get a copy of this book before the holiday!

Contact your retailer today, and if they have not or will not order The Dragon's Gate for you, then by all means buy it from us today! If you order this week, we will ship your order out within 24 hours of the books arriving from the printer and you'll be guaranteed to have your copy well before Christmas!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a reminder that The Dragon's Gate is now available. I've seen several reviews of the book here on the Hero Boards (thanks, gang!).

Distribution sales have been much, much lower than we'd anticipated so many of you have probably not even seen it in stores (those poor retailers who didn't order it are passing up a bood thing; what a shame). But rest assured it does exist and you can buy it now! ;)

Originally posted by Gold Rush Games

Distribution sales have been much, much lower than we'd anticipated so many of you have probably not even seen it in stores (those poor retailers who didn't order it are passing up a bood thing; what a shame). But rest assured it does exist and you can buy it now! ;)

I'm sorry to hear that distribution sales have been slower than expected, but I think a great deal of that has to do witht he fact that DG is a reprint of a product that many of us have owned as a pdf for around 3 years now. The demand to the HERO System gamer is just not that great. I think you would have had better success if you had printed one of the other manuscripts instead.

I have been purchasing Gold Rush Games products from the start, but I have always had a problem get the product. My local gaming store tries to get the products but we also seem to be six months behind. I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Think that I have said this before. Stuff from DOJ comes within one to two weeks of hitting US shelves, so there clear is some sort of distribution problem, at least in my area. There is a great demand for anything super RPG material in this area.

S.A. Veira

There was (claimed) demand for the print version of the book among Hero fandom (and more specifically among San Angelo fans). PDF or no, the print version of the book I was certain would have been snapped up by a number of folks.

In terms of its "newness," we did add M&M Superlink and Action! System stats to the book, making it a "new sourcebook" for fans of Mutants & Mastermind, most of whom seem to have never heard of San Angelo (and understandably so).

In regards to stores having a hard time getting the book... either those stores are misleading you or their distributor is not doing its job. Our books are very much available to every distributor out there. All they have to do is fax or e-mail a purchase order to us and voila! They get the books shipped. If a retail store does not have our books in stock I assure you that that is not our doing.

Regardless, I have said it before and it bears repeating: If you cannot find a GRG book that you want, then buy it from us!

I promise you that we will appreciate every penny you spend on our books and it will help us (financially) more than a sale of the same book through distribution channels.

The books are available, I promise. All you have to do is visit our online store to see what all is available. ;)

Regardless, I have said it before and it bears repeating: If you cannot find a GRG book that you want, then buy it from us!

I promise you that we will appreciate every penny you spend on our books and it will help us (financially) more than a sale of the same book through distribution channels.

The books are available, I promise. All you have to do is visit our online store to see what all is available. ;)

I will bug my local game store again this week, if they cannot get it, I will order it through Gold Rush Games. It is nothing personal, but I just dislike all mail-order business. Not that I have a lack of trust, but I get nailed on the exchange rate, then by Customs collecting GST plus a $5.00 fee. Then there is wait for items to get through Customs these days. Mail-ordering within Canada is a lot easier, things just get harder when one order from outside the country. If I lived in the US, I would have placed an order some time ago. :D

I would say that it the distributor failing to get him your books in good time. The owner of my local game store stated once the he suspects that they fill US based orders first before his orders and that they do not order enough of some items up front the first time.

S.A. Veira

Just FYI, there are a number of distributors that we market our products to, including those in Canada. You (and your retailer) can find the list here:

http://eureka.goldrushgames.com/distributors.html

You can even print out the list and give it to your retailer so that he/she knows which Canadian distributors we directly solicit to.

Just FYI, there are a number of distributors that we market our products to, including those in Canada. You (and your retailer) can find the list here:

http://eureka.goldrushgames.com/distributors.html

You can even print out the list and give it to your retailer so that he/she knows which Canadian distributors we directly solicit to.

Thanks. I will do just that.

S.A. Veira

The Dragon's Gate has been solicited to several UK distributors (you can see a list of UK distributors that we solicit to at http://eureka.goldrushgames.com/distributors.html ). The books are available, though they are not selling as briskly as we'd have liked through distribution. You're better off, at this point, buying your copy direct. You'll get it much more quickly than ordering it from a UK store and waiting for their distributor to order it and then wait for their shipment to arrive and be posted off to the store. Ordering direct form us means it's posted directly to you.

Originally posted by misterdeath

Well, when I was in the Gaming Store on Saturday, I asked about the book. Apparently, the distributors are telling people it's not available, or somesuch nonsense.

Thanks for inquiring about the book with your local retailer. We appreciate it.

In regards to your being told that it's not available, I will be frank and say that someone is being lied to, possibly because they don't want to "bother" ordering and stocking the book. Either the retailer is lying to you, the distributor rep is lying to the retailer, or the buyer is lying to the sales rep. But nobody in that little chain seems to have the facts, despite my best efforts to see that they do.

I assure you that we are not telling the distributors or retailers that the book is unavailable. That would be just silly.

If your retailer would like to get announcements and product info directly from us, they can contact us and we'll add them to our list. Or, if I find out which distributor they use I can rattle their cage. ;)

In the meantime, please buy the book from us.

I've already got a campaign city, but wouldn't mind adding a China Town section to it. Do you think it will be easy to customize DG to fit my campaign city? (It's fictional contemporary city)

I'll try to check out a copy at my game store when I go hunting for Sharper than a Serpent's Tooth on Thursday.

Originally posted by Blue

I've already got a campaign city, but wouldn't mind adding a China Town section to it. Do you think it will be easy to customize DG to fit my campaign city? (It's fictional contemporary city)

DG is fairly easy to customize into any game. There would need to be a few "tweaks" but most would be minor. The main issue with DG is power-level. The super characters in the book (and there are not many) would need to be beefed up as most are built using a scale less powerful than a standard Champions game. Most of the characters in DG are closer to Dark Champions power level than standard Champions. The Chinatown info itself is quite useful though.

the distributor rep is lying to the retailer, or the buyer is lying to the sales rep.

This one is my guess. The distributor rep probably has no clue, and doesn't want to go and bother to check.

In the meantime, please buy the book from us.

But the nice guy at the local store gives me a 25% discount. :(;)

D

Originally posted by Monolith

DG is fairly easy to customize into any game. There would need to be a few "tweaks" but most would be minor. The main issue with DG is power-level. The super characters in the book (and there are not many) would need to be beefed up as most are built using a scale less powerful than a standard Champions game. Most of the characters in DG are closer to Dark Champions power level than standard Champions. The Chinatown info itself is quite useful though.

Since it sounds like you've got the new version, how does it compare to the pdf version?

Just curious as to the extent of the changes/updates...

D

Since it sounds like you've got the new version, how does it compare to the pdf version?

Just curious as to the extent of the changes/updates...

The only difference between the book and the pdf is that one superhero (Flamestar) has been removed and the write-ups for the characters in Action! and M&M have been added in place of the Fuzion write-ups. In every other way the two are exactly the same.

This has been a dream product for me. I have two long time players who invariably play mystic, asian, martial artists. The depth and richness of detail has given me no end of plot directions to take them.

It would be particularly good for a Dark Champions campaign as say Hudson citie's Chinatown.

Thanks again Goldrush, an out of the ballpark great product.

The distributor rep probably has no clue, and doesn't want to go and bother to check.

That's still giving misinformation (i.e., lying). That's not to say that that's what's happening, but the end result to me is the same -- my books aren't being sold to stores and aren't reaching consumers. So my primary concern is that our books be made available to consumers -- to you kind folks. :)

But the nice guy at the local store gives me a 25% discount.

That's terrific! But, just out of cusiosity, what good is a 25% discount on a book that they don't have in stock to sell to you in the first place? Hm...

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

Mr. Arsenault, if we find that a distributor is claiming the book is not available, would you like us to send you an email or private message with said distributor's name, so you can do some of the cage-rattling you mentioned? ;)

Absolutely.

Most distributors are run by great people, many of whom are knowledgeable about the companies and products that they rep to the retailers. So please don't think that I am down on distributors, as that's not the case at all.

Nor retailers, for that matter. There are some terrific retailers who go out of their way to satisfy their customers, including ordering books that they think their customers will enjoy (and buy). Those retailers deserve your support and dollars, and we encourage you to do just that.

But since one of my many jobs is to try to sell product to distributors (who then, presumably sell them to retailers), then I feel it is important to quickly address any issues that arise involving a sales rep telling a retailer that our books are unavailable when they are very much available.

The bottom line is, if a retailer won't do its job to sell a product to a consumer, and a distribution sales rep won't do their job and sell our books to retailers who ask for them, then to what extent do I continue trying to sell our books through distribution?

We'll keep plugging away, but when consumers and/or retailers are literally being turned away from the next higher step on the distribution ladder, then I will pound my chest and say "Buy 'em from us, becase WE want to sell them to you!" ;)

Originally posted by Redmenace

This has been a dream product for me. Thanks again Goldrush, an out of the ballpark great product.

Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying the book and finding it so useful.

Now to convince those two players of yours that they need their own copy to help enrich their characters' backgrounds... ;)