Concept Challenge: Quantum Mechanics

Dr. MID-Nite

That's kind of vague I mean in the strictest sense it would just be 2 detects. Each would only work while the other is off.:D

Discriminatory Analyze ranged targeting detect mass

and

Discriminatory Analyze ranged targeting detect velocity

Not much of a character really.

On the the other hand if you mean a character with the ability to manipulate the sub atomic universe then you really have an excuse for any power. The problem is going to be deciding what limits the character's power ie: inexperience? limited energy, limited range, ...etc.

What Kristopher said.

Quantum Mechanics is the study of how molecules are put together/interact.

Off the top of my head...

Molecular Conversion/Transmutation (changing the atoms/molecules). Teleportation (tunnelling). Heat/Cold/Electromagnetic energy manipulation (speeding up/slowing down/shedding or absorbing energy levels of atoms). Disintegration (disassociation of molecules) .

D

without a VPP this character would probably be pretty unsatisfying they'd probably just be another energy projector for the most part since you couldn't really embrace the full spectrum of abilities implied by the concept.

The difference between a MPP Green Lantern and a VPP Green Lantern is huge in flavor. VPP exist for a reason and it's the GM's call to restrict them but at the same time that restriction may restrict some concepts.

How about going the probability-manipulator route? Build a character with obscene amounts of Luck (using a handful of the variants, maybe) and multipower of "Probability Manipulation Tricks" with Requires Luck Roll. Some possibilities:

Indirect EB (object drops on target)

RKA (Spontaneous combustion)

Negative CSLs

HA (lucky shot)

etc.

I'm not a particle physicist or anything, but IIRC quantum mechanics have sometimes been explained as "waves of probability", so this makes sense in a psuedo-sciencey comic book way.

As I was reading, I first theought VPP, then saw that wasn't possible. Thought of Luck-based powers, then saw Fireg0lem was there first.

So, how about a character who can affect things on a sub-atomic scale, but (at the moment), has only mastered certain phenomena? Then give him a Power Skill and let that take the strain.

There was a Marvel character called Quantum, who was super strong (Spider-Man range, I think, maybe a bit stronger, but my memory is hazy). I think he could fly too, but his main power was that, by manipulating probability, he could create duplicates of himself.

Teleportation was a good suggestion for a power too. He exploits the probability of him being somewhere else and there he is!

Perhaps he has Find Weakness on his punch, as he somehow manages to stirke at the weak spots of his enemy (maybe he has some kind of Analyze Skill too).

Quantum Mechanics powers...

Actually, I can think of a few interesting ideas...

Oh, and quantum mechanics is not about "molecules", but is the study of matter and energy (roughly speaking, of how atoms are held together)...

I actually like the idea... have to play with it...

On to the power ideas. I am just listing concept ideas, and not how they are linked together. I can see a combination of a MP and EC, but how the character would be built would be up to the designer...

1) Teleportation would seem to be likely... as the character would be able to turn himself into energy, transmit himself accross a space, and then reintegrate himself.

2) Along the same lines, Desolid (Energy Form) would make a lot of sense.

3) An energy blast that could have several advantages, such as: Affects Desolid, AP or Penetrating, Indirect... Or, even better, would be an EB +1/2 Variable Advantage (Quantum Blast). The special effect would be manipulating the various primary forces (Strong, Electro-weak, Gravity).

4) Tunnelling seems obvious, with the "Fill In" adder. Max inches tied to the max of his running (or other "standard" movement), simulating walking through matter (ok, this would be possible with the desolid as well). I would see a high DEF being penetrated, but lower inches of movement.

5) Invisibility (character bends light around himself)

6) Find Weakness - by perceiving a target on a sub-atomic level, the character can detect weaknesses in defenses.

7) Any number of enhanced senses, possibly including a spatial awareness (mass detection, electromagnetic detection, etc), and N-ray Perception (good ol' X-ray vision!)

8) Hardened Armor, Power DEF, and Lack of Weakness (on both) make sense, as he can manipulate the matter on his surface to be more resiliant, and more perfect...

Well, these are just a few minutes musings... I am sure you can come up with far more.

Silbeg...

Re: Quantum Mechanics powers...

Originally posted by Silbeg

Oh, and quantum mechanics is not about "molecules", but is the study of matter and energy (roughly speaking, of how atoms are held together)...

Silbeg...

Quantum Physics actually deals with sub-molecular and sub-nuclear matter, energy and forces.

My first Fifth Edition character is a Quantum Physicist whose exposure to Shadow Matter has given her the ability to manipulate her molecular structure, giving her mass manipulation powers (Density Increase, Desolidfication, and a few Gravity-manipulating powers).

Another direction to consider...

Originally posted by misterdeath

What Kristopher said.

Quantum Mechanics is the study of how molecules are put together/interact.

Off the top of my head...

Molecular Conversion/Transmutation (changing the atoms/molecules). Teleportation (tunnelling). Heat/Cold/Electromagnetic energy manipulation (speeding up/slowing down/shedding or absorbing energy levels of atoms). Disintegration (disassociation of molecules) .

D

It goes beyond molecules, all the way down past electrons and protons and neutrons and electrons, to the quarks that make them up, and all the other strange particles out there.

Control over photons gives control over the entire electromagnetic spectrum.

If there really are gravitons, then the character has control over gravity.

If there are tachyons, it might give the character an excuse to buy FTL movement.

The character could create spontaneous fission or fusion explosions by tampering with the weak and strong forces.

Transmutation of matter, as long as the mass is conserved, would fall under the SFX.

Simple energy blasts and force fields are a simple matter by comparison. The list goes on and on. The only thing he really can't do is rewrite history.

This really is a Cosmic VPP, and there is no other way to accurately simulate the SFX of Quantum Mechanics Manipulator. Such a character might as well be called a Reality Manipulator.

Chill out, Kristopher, it's a game. Sure, it doesn't fully represent the scientfically verifiable effects that a quantum manipulator could create, but there's a lot of ways around them. Either don't worry about "hard science" and use comic-book logic, or just assume that the character's ability to manipulate quantum mechanics is limited by experience and they can only do so many things.

how about a charecter lets call them schrodigers cat

who can only use his powers when not being wtached so if no one sees him he can choose not to die from a fatal wound teleport move at great speed but only when not being actively watched. as a watcher would force him into one probability without him being able to choose him self. thats got to ber a pretty hefty disadvantage.

Clairvoyance and precognition by way of nonlocality or quantum entanglement or something like that.

Maybe he can do something with superconductivity like um control electronics or ground out electrical or thermal attacks or something. ED force field?

The Infinite Improbability Drive! Teleportation.

How about being in two places at once?

There's another thread about controlling radiation.

Growth and Shrinking without changing mass. He just moves his particles closer together or farther apart by adjusting Planck's constant or their binding energies.

Quantum particles are at their weirdest when you're not looking at them. I think he could take that as a limitation on some of his powers, like Teleportation or Duplication.

edit: Dur, freakboy just said that.

Originally posted by freakboy6117

how about a charecter lets call them schrodigers cat

who can only use his powers when not being wtached so if no one sees him he can choose not to die from a fatal wound teleport move at great speed but only when not being actively watched. as a watcher would force him into one probability without him being able to choose him self. thats got to ber a pretty hefty disadvantage.

LMAO...very nice!

I agree mostly with Kristopher and Fuzzy Gnome here...I think a Quantum Physics Manipulator character should go beyound simple EB & FF. This special effect is a great justification for all kinds of off the wall and seldom seen powers.

Duplication...M-Theory Multiverse Duplicates

Transformation Attack...Transform the very fabric of matter

Dispel...Alter hard energy into something more harmless or shift the attack into another quantum layer altogether

Summon...Pull items or creatures from other dimensions

Remember your four fundamental forces are Gravity, Electromagnetism, Strong Nuclear and Weak Nuclear forces. Quantum Theory...Unified Field Theory...M-Theory tries to reconcile these forces in a single theory that works mathematically in multiple dimensions, beyond the 4 physical dimensions we can perceive height, width, length and duration. Controlling these forces could eventually lead you to controlling space / time as well.

Hope that helps...

Originally posted by levi

I agree mostly with Kristopher and Fuzzy Gnome here...I think a Quantum Physics Manipulator character should go beyound simple EB & FF. This special effect is a great justification for all kinds of off the wall and seldom seen powers.

Who says this character has to start out with total and complete mastery of his powers? Start with the freaking multipower, add more slots as time, practice and EXP justify, and then work your way up to converting the whole thing into a VPP when you have truly mastered your powers. As someone who can do almost anything, it may take some time to get there.

Come on folks... even the likes of Magneto and Superman are still finding new and interesting ways to use their powers, and it took them years of practice to get to where they were before they appeared in their first comic.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I'm definitely using the variable advantage EB somebody mentioned. I might do the Transform too, but how would it work\? Even using quantum mechanics I doubt you can turn anything into anything. There must be a logical limit or else it would just be magic. I imagine you could transform physical states of matter(soild, liquid, gas) and probably transmute elements. Not sure you'd get any limits for that though.

Rob

Simple Quantum Mechanics, from a chemistry standpoint.

http://www-theory.chem.washington.edu/~trstedl/quantum/quantum.html

http://www.mtmi.vu.lt/pfk/funkc_dariniai/quant_mech/

from the latter reference

In principle, all of atomic and molecular physics, including the structure of atoms and their dynamics, the periodic table of elements and their chemical behaviour, as well as the spectroscopic, electrical, and other physical properties of atoms, molecules, and condensed matter, can be accounted for by quantum mechanics.

Depending on how much you can control the equations, you can make an atom/molecule/energy field/practically anything, do whatever you want.

I would think the Transform any Molecule/Element to any other Molecule/Element would be childs play for this character.

Other things, perhaps not so easy.

D

Originally posted by Dr. MID-Nite

... I doubt you can turn anything into anything. There must be a logical limit or else it would just be magic...

Any sufficiently advanced technology would seem like magic to the locals.

I don't know who said it first, but it applies here I think.

Let's say there were creatures living in a two dimensional world that we could interact with. Now in this two dimensional plane of length and width, drawing a circle or square around one of these creatures would make an inescapable prison. Now we come along and peel that 2D creature up and place it outside the circle. To the inhabitants of that dimension, the prisoner would have disappeared and reappeared outside the prison wall...magic indeed!