What I Learned Playing a Robot

Lucius

If you look Human, or even Humanoid, people will insist on calling you an "android." It does no good to point out that "android" technically means an artificially created organic being

Lucius Alexander

Pondering the creation of a palindromedarioid.

Re: What I Learned Playing a Robot

Even if you don't look at all Human, some people will call you a "droid." This makes even less sense but is also usually futile to try to correct.

Lucius Alexander

Mimicking a palindromedary. Or is that mimicing?

The Three Laws of Robotics according to Dr. Asimov:

1. A robot may not harm a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence, as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Lucius Alexander

I, Palindromedary

They are damned expensive characters to create.

Keith "Stupid 5th Ed. Life Support" Curtis

Depends if you're building a Terminator or Marvin. If I'm a robot, I'll go for fragile but easy to fix and reboot over lumbering indestructable death machine.

Always have a way to self-repair since engineers love to change things without your permission.

Matt "Been-there-done-that-and-sold-the-operating-system-on-eBay" Frisbee

The Three Laws of Robotics according to Dr. Asimov:

1. A robot may not harm a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence, as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

You forgot the Zeroth law.

You forgot the Zeroth law.

Didn't forget it; chose not to include it. The original formulation only included three; that's why a superordinate law articulated later had to be called "Zeroth."

And a still later one, the "negative first."

20486f7720746f20777269746520696e2068657861646563696d616c207573696e67206173636969203a2920

1100100100001101001001111011101000011001101100111101101011110110100100010101101011010001110100110101110111101011110011101001010100001001011011101111011011010001100011011011011011011010001110100000

Lucius Alexander

And a binary palindromedary.

Different worlds can have very different approaches to sentient robots... make sure you do your research before going off ship!

"We don't want their kind round here..." could be the prelude to one nasty bar-room brawl...

Many of your fellow players will expect you to obey Asimov's laws, whether or not you're playing in a universe where Asimov ever even existed, and regardless of whether or not the the presence of those laws in your programming is appropriate to your function.

You're only bound by Asimov's laws if they're programmed into you.

Nobody's going to program Asimov's laws into a warbot or assassin-bot.

Just because you technically don't "eat" or "breathe" or "sleep" or even "get sick" does NOT mean that you need to take the full suite of Life Support Powers.

You don't eat, but you do need to input energy in some form, and even materiels (spare parts, perhaps.) Do you really need "Does not eat?"

Unless you were specifically designed for multiple environments, that does not mean you won't suffer deleterious effects if dropped into water, methane, a high pressure atmosphere, or vaccuum. Just because you don't "breathe" as such, doesn't mean you can't be deactivated or even destroyed if out of the environment you were designed for.

You don't "sleep" but you may need regular downtime for self-maintenance, internal computer diagnostics, and to correlate and properly assimilate the day's experiences into your memory banks.

Just because you're not organic, doesn't mean you can't catch a virus. Or a worm. Just because you can ignore some or most of the things that poison a Human, doesn't mean there aren't substances that will do you serious damage. Instead of taking a broad-based immunity, ask if you can be assumed to be vulnerable to different things - the way a fish doesn't need "life support" to breathe water, it just has a different "default" environment.

Just because you don't feel "pain" (trust me, you're not missing anything) doesn't mean you should have Takes No Stun. If you get hit by a lightning bolt, it's still a shocking experience. You can be "stunned" just as effectively as if you felt pain, and you can be rendered temporarily inoperable as readily as a Human can be rendered unconscious - and they are the same thing mechanically (pardon the expression.)

Parts wear out. Quantum effects and background radiation eventually degrade even shielded positronic brains. Even personality programs that are repeatedly uploaded to new bodies become corrupt over time. Check out your warranty. Odds are, you DON'T really have "Immunity to Aging."

They are damned expensive characters to create.

Keith "Stupid 5th Ed. Life Support" Curtis

That depends on your assumptions. See above.

Lucius Alexander

Things I learned riding a palindromedary

Just because you technically don't "eat" or "breathe" or "sleep" or even "get sick" does NOT mean that you need to take the full suite of Life Support Powers.

You don't eat, but you do need to input energy in some form, and even materiels (spare parts, perhaps.) Do you really need "Does not eat?"

Unless you were specifically designed for multiple environments, that does not mean you won't suffer deleterious effects if dropped into water, methane, a high pressure atmosphere, or vaccuum. Just because you don't "breathe" as such, doesn't mean you can't be deactivated or even destroyed if out of the environment you were designed for.

You don't "sleep" but you may need regular downtime for self-maintenance, internal computer diagnostics, and to correlate and properly assimilate the day's experiences into your memory banks.

Just because you're not organic, doesn't mean you can't catch a virus. Or a worm. Just because you can ignore some or most of the things that poison a Human, doesn't mean there aren't substances that will do you serious damage. Instead of taking a broad-based immunity, ask if you can be assumed to be vulnerable to different things - the way a fish doesn't need "life support" to breathe water, it just has a different "default" environment.

Just because you don't feel "pain" (trust me, you're not missing anything) doesn't mean you should have Takes No Stun. If you get hit by a lightning bolt, it's still a shocking experience. You can be "stunned" just as effectively as if you felt pain, and you can be rendered temporarily inoperable as readily as a Human can be rendered unconscious - and they are the same thing mechanically (pardon the expression.)

Parts wear out. Quantum effects and background radiation eventually degrade even shielded positronic brains. Even personality programs that are repeatedly uploaded to new bodies become corrupt over time. Check out your warranty. Odds are, you DON'T really have "Immunity to Aging."

That depends on your assumptions. See above.

Lucius Alexander

Things I learned riding a palindromedary

repped

If you look Human' date=' or even Humanoid, people will insist on calling you an "android." It does no good to point out that "android" technically means an artificially created [i']organic[/i] being

That's because it isn't true. "Android" just means "manlike". A machine made to look exactly like a man is at least as android as those things made out of glorified play-dough that Marvel comics typically calls an android. Pretty much any human-sized artificial biped can be justly called an android.