Hidden Monsters

Steve

In the TV show Grimm, monsters are able to look like normal people until they manifest their true natures. Buffy:TVS had a similar thing going on with vampires.

I've been wondering how to portray two things as game effects: the ability of monsters to pass as normal people, and the ability of some humans to either detect them or even see their true natures.

"Hidden Monsters" is my working title for a campaign of hunters versus monsters that are able to disguise themselves as regular people.

The most points-intense way I could think to portray this would be to give every "monster" race a Shape Shift ability that allows them to pass as human. Perhaps it shuts off automatically when they need to use their full abilities, maybe like a kind of lockout limitation. A "Detect Monsters" ability would be how certain humans, like how Grimms work in the TV show, are able to tell who isn't actually human.

What other methods might be used to replicate such abilities? Are there less points-intensive ways to do this?

Visible as a Power Limitation. Whenever they activate their powers, they lose the benefit of their human mask. Some powers would simply be defined as Special Effect. Extra Presence or Striking Appearance being such cases.
Looks like editing posts is no longer supported. Anyway, I might also throw on a mandatory Social Limitation for breaking the code of secrecy. Vessen (Wessen) political leaders tend to frown on the idea of mundane society getting a peak at their little secret world.

Also, the Limitation in 6E is "Perceivable."

In the TV show Grimm' date=' monsters are able to look like normal people until they manifest their true natures. [i']Buffy:TVS[/i] had a similar thing going on with vampires.

I've been wondering how to portray two things as game effects: the ability of monsters to pass as normal people, and the ability of some humans to either detect them or even see their true natures.

"Hidden Monsters" is my working title for a campaign of hunters versus monsters that are able to disguise themselves as regular people.

The most points-intense way I could think to portray this would be to give every "monster" race a Shape Shift ability that allows them to pass as human. Perhaps it shuts off automatically when they need to use their full abilities, maybe like a kind of lockout limitation. A "Detect Monsters" ability would be how certain humans, like how Grimms work in the TV show, are able to tell who isn't actually human.

What other methods might be used to replicate such abilities? Are there less points-intensive ways to do this?

good thinking steve

• 1 month later...

You might find the Here There Be Monsters material useful in this regard.

A number of different tacts are taken, depending on the nature of the supernatural and how overt their abilities are.

Note that you don't need Shapeshift in the HERO System to have a different appearance when using some or all of a character's abilities; this is covered by "activation of powers" and SFX. Shapeshift is primarily about deception; it's few functional benefits are edge case at best (such as the ability to deform and slip thru cracks).

For starters, Supernatural Awareness (a 10 point Talent in the HtbM setting) or equivalent abilities is a central concept of the setting. Almost all "supernaturals" have some kind of Distinctive Feature that is detectable to Supernatural Awareness, and there are also abilities specifically to hide from Supernatural Awareness.

There are also abilities that target those who are Supernaturally Aware and have no affect on those who are not, such as Sabrina's rather nasty Psychic Blast, and also her Psychic Aura.

Next, many supernatural abilities that are normally not visible take the Limitation "Perceivable to Supernatural Awareness", -1/4 and are thus detectible to those who are supernaturally aware. In the case of passive abilities such as resistant defenses that take this lim they are always detectable, otherwise only when in use. Those with Supernatural Awareness observing a supernatural with Perceivable abilities can infer the general nature and even relative power of the character's perceivable ability.

Some supernaturals, particularly spirits and extradimensional entities such as Daemons, have the ability to pass unseen via either full on Invisibility or more indirect ways. For instance, the Daemon Baraerazil, and Spirits of Woe.

At the most extreme end, Multiform is used for supernaturals that have distinct modes of existence. Lycanthropes such as Jon Bregg and Beau Givens, the Troldkin Rollo Fjor, and the Fey Valravn Ebon Belasko are examples of this kind of supernatural.

You can check out about 80 posted characters between the Iconics and NPCs for examples.