FrostFlame - Enchanted Khopesh

HeroGM

Ok, this is something built for a DragonBorn I was slowly transfereing from D&D(4th) to Fantasy Hero. Yeah the build is probably flawed. The idea is that it is made of an ice looking white-blue crystal.

When the blade actually pierces the target a 2d6 blast will go off (I didn't add trigger or anything else because the point was low to begin with), once in awhile a freezing blast will actually explode from the target to others in the area. Yeah I know, not 100% thought out. A lot of this is me playing with the rules after 3-4 years of being away from all the books. I may go back and take a look at what I want a little more accurately and try again.

FrostFlame:  (Total: 61 Active Cost, 22 Real Cost) HKA 1 1/2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (37 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 9-13 (12; -1/2) (Real Cost: 15) plus Blast 2d6, Penetrating (+1/2) (15 Active Points); OAF (-1), 4 Charges (-1), Linked (HKA; -1/2), No Range (-1/2) (Real Cost: 4) plus Area Of Effect (6m Radius; +1/2) for up to 15 Active Points of Blast, Personal Immunity (+1/4) (9 Active Points); Requires A Roll (8- roll; -1 1/4), Linked (Blast; -1/2) (Real Cost: 3)

• 4 weeks later...

Damn...questions for me.

You want the blast only to go off if the blade pierces?  That is when it does body??

In that case I would be inclined to reflect that with a limitation but I would also make the attack 1/2D6 NND Killing to reflect that the damage is done once the blade is through the defences of the victim.  I can see a case for AVLD (only against the natural ED of the victim) but I think this is very much meant to do BODY??

The explosion part is interesting - I do not see that there is any reason for it except it does do it randomly.  Obviously you have the personal immunity but 6m radius makes you a bad person to be fighting beside.  :-)  It is only 2D6 penetrating and so a nickel and dime type power.  If you are only, on average, going to get an explosion once a day (if you manage to get four penetrating hits), then why not make the reason for that something special, spend more points and give it one charge that happens in specific circumstances related to the history of the sword. Use it as an excuse to add colour to the item.

Not due to my questions surely? :-(

I was asking questions not criticising.  Apologies if I came across as critical...

I like the idea of the weapon, I like the idea of the frost blade as you have written it, better than the D&D version...I just wanted to get it straight in my head how it would work in the game, and to see if there was a way to make the explosion more colourful...

Usually I give stuff that only happens when it deals body a 1/4 limitation (if its a killing attack); like scorpion stings, etc.  Since the weapon is not defined as doing the damage under armor or inside the target's defenses, its just a triggered or linked blast.

The name intrigues me though, and proposed an idea:

How about an advantage that allows the attack to go against the target's lowest defenses.  For example with "Frostfire" it does either fire or frost damage, depending on what is lower in the target (like the World of Warcraft mage spell).  Its a pretty minor effect that often wouldn't have any effect, so a 1/4 advantage at most.  But it would be handy.

APG has multiple special effects, I'd have to look if it's in one or two, I believe 1.

and it seems like every time I post something there is some comment about it not doing enough damage or it's built the wrong way or something (how can it be be built wrong?). While I understand, and accept, some negative feedback, everyone gets it and gives it - I'm just tired of being told I'm wrong with something.

The idea is that when the sword pierces it gives off frost/ice damage. On a "crit" it will build up enough energy that it bursts out of the victims body and give off area damage. 

Yeah looks like Multiple Special effects does what I had in mind.  Seems like +1/4 would be enough though, since you can have ANY special effect and tailor it to the target with a +1/2 advantage, not just a limited set that goes off every time.

Chaos, your build looks good, I think most of the feedback is less criticism and more "hmm what if you did this..." or "I don't understand, did you mean this?"  People have different types of campaigns and ideas, so power levels will vary based on that.

You say the build is "probably flawed" in your first paragraph so of course people are going to try to help you "fix" it, YOU said t here was something wrong with it.

Also, if someone isn't sure what exactly your build is supposed to do they are going to ask. Looking at the mechanics of a power build don't always convey the intent and if they think from your description that your build does something other than what you built they are going to give suggestions. This is not berating you or saying you did something wrong, it is merely sharing how they would have done it, and theh might not even understand your actual intent.

There are multiple ways to build anything in Hero. I've seen contradicting write-ups for a fork. That's what we do here, discuss the game and power builds and argue about rules. "Wait, what's that supposed to do?" (doesn't wait for answer) "I'd do this instead" is not a personal attack.