Need a little example

steph

Hello to you guys. It is written in the rules that defense power can be bought with ' resistant ' ' Can you give me examples of attacks or they would be required to have purchased power defense with ' ' resistant ' ' ?

Thank in advance and excuse my english not my first language.

Steph

Resistant is uaed to provide defenses from killing attacks. Say a sword is defined as a 1D6 KA. If it hits a normal person, all the body done gets applied to a persons body. Regular PD and ED do not provide protection. On a typical Heroic game, resistant defenses are bought with the special effect of armor. In super heroic game that could be defined as skin hard as rocks I.e. the Thing or Alien super skin i.e. Superman.

P.s. no worries on the English. Its my only language and its horrible :)

As Ninja-Bear said, Resistant makes a Defense function against Killing Attacks. From the point of view of Hero System game mechanics, Killing Attacks exist to be more lethal than Normal Attacks: they do more BODY but less STUN damage on average than Normal Damage attacks. As an example, the Champions villain Galaxia from CV Vol. 3 has a "Deadly Gem-Blast" attack built as a 3d6 RKA, AVAD (Mental Defense), Does BODY. Any Mental Defense a target of that attack has would have to be Resistant, or else it wouldn't diminish the attack at all. I would imagine that the Special Effect rationale for it is that the blast strikes directly at the target's mind, bypassing his physical body; but mechanically, the designer of Galaxia wanted her to have a life-threatening attack that requires a rare Defense combination to stop, to make her that much more dangerous.

Now, if the same attack had been built with AVAD: Power Defense instead of Mental Defense, that would be an example of Power Def needing to be Resistant to block the attack. You might define the Special Effect of that attack as a mystical/spiritual bolt which affects the target's soul, rather than his body.

Insidious Call of the Necromancer: (Total: 49 Active Cost, 10 Real Cost) Severe Transform 1d6-1, Reduced Negation (2), Alternate Combat Value (uses OCV against DMCV; +1/4), Attack Versus Alternate Defense (Resistant Power Defense; +1/2), Sticky (+1/2), Invisible Power Effects (Invisible to [two Sense Groups], effects of Power are Inobvious to target; +1 1/4) (49 Active Points); Damage Over Time, Lock out (cannot be applied multiple times) (17-32 damage increments, damage occurs every 1 Day, can be negated by 3 days of fasting and ritual purification; -3), Conditional Power Target must be wounded by the Necromancer or an undead minion ((That is, at the time the curse is cast, the target must be down STUN or BOD due to an attack); -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 10)

The necromancer knowing this curse may use it on someone that has been harmed by the necromancer or their minions (if the damage has been healed or recovered, the curse has no effect.) Over the course of a month it will gradually, invisibly, turn the victim into a Human-seeming ghoul compelled to seek out and serve the cursing necromancer, or any necromancer or powerful undead if the necromancer is no more. Anyone with at least 5 pts of Resistant Power Defense is totally immune, lesser amounts of Resistant Power Defense slow the working of the curse.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary runs out and gets Resistant Power Defense

The necromancer knowing this curse may use it on someone that has been harmed by the necromancer or their minions (if the damage has been healed or recovered, the curse has no effect.) Over the course of a month it will gradually, invisibly, turn the victim into a Human-seeming ghoul compelled to seek out and serve the cursing necromancer, or any necromancer or powerful undead if the necromancer is no more. Anyone with at least 5 pts of Resistant Power Defense is totally immune, lesser amounts of Resistant Power Defense slow the working of the curse.

I personally wouldn't pay 8 points to protect myself from this. I would just use my 17 DMCV to dodge it. 

Resistant specifically exists for Killing Attacks.

Normal Damage attacks: All Defenses* are counted agaisnt Body damage. All defenses* are counted against the STUN damage.

Killing Damage attacks: Only resistant defenses* are counted against the Body damage - non-resistant defenses offer no protection. But all defenses* are counted against the STUN damage.

*Asumign the proper type.of defense. Physical Defense still does not work on Energy Attacks

Combine these two facts with the following asumptions/fast rules:

Killing damage does on average slightly more Body and slightly less STUN then Normal Damage Attacks.

Resistant Defenses have a lower cap then Defenses in general. Between 1/2 and 3/4 of the total PD/ED can be Resistant, depending on Campaign and intended lethality.

That means Killing Attacks will fall into one of two categories:

a) They are mostly useless (due to high Resistant Defenses), except for destroying Barriers, Foci and the odd "takes no stun" builds. This applies mostly for superheroic games, but not all.

B) They are the default attacks (due to low or average resistant defenses). You are more likely to take out a hero/mook with them then with Normal Damage attacks. Normal Damage is only there for taking foes alive. This extreme applies to most heroic games.

Due to balance reasons by default killing attacks only go against PD or ED. Applying Attack vs Alternate Defense by default turns off dealing of body damage. An extra advantage (+1) is needed to turn it back on.

Insidious Call of the Necromancer: (Total: 49 Active Cost, 10 Real Cost) Severe Transform 1d6-1, Reduced Negation (2), Alternate Combat Value (uses OCV against DMCV; +1/4), Attack Versus Alternate Defense (Resistant Power Defense; +1/2), Sticky (+1/2), Invisible Power Effects (Invisible to [two Sense Groups], effects of Power are Inobvious to target; +1 1/4) (49 Active Points); Damage Over Time, Lock out (cannot be applied multiple times) (17-32 damage increments, damage occurs every 1 Day, can be negated by 3 days of fasting and ritual purification; -3), Conditional Power Target must be wounded by the Necromancer or an undead minion ((That is, at the time the curse is cast, the target must be down STUN or BOD due to an attack); -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 10)

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary runs out and gets Resistant Power Defense

OK but for a transform power a regular power defense is ok. Why make it resistant  ?

TY

• 11 months later...

OK but for a transform power a regular power defense is ok. Why make it resistant  ?

TY

The attack is bought as "Attack vs Alternate Defense"so no, regular Power Defense won't help.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary declares the power to be "insidious!"