First meeting

Mark Rand

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"She and her team went Downtown to deal with Amok, who is running amok, punching out cars and buildings and throwing things around," Tara says.  "If you want to go, I can send the information on him to your smartphones and navigational data to the tablet computer on Joanna's knee pad."

24 minutes ago, Mark Rand said:

"She and her team went Downtown to deal with Amok, who is running amok, punching out cars and buildings and throwing things around," Tara says.  "If you want to go, I can send the information on him to your smartphones and navigational data to the tablet computer on Joanna's knee pad."

"So, what do we say?"

"I'll send the information we have on him to your smartphones." Tara replies.

Once Voight had it all - a family, a respectable job, a home in a nice neighborhood.  But his hot temper and drinking cost him everything.

Now Voight lives on the streets of San Angelo, just another face in the anonymous crowd of homeless people.

He still has a temper, and a few years ago Voight realized after one of his rages that he had done a lot more this time than bust a few store windows.  Wrecked cars and half-destroyed buildings were everywhere.  Voight had somehow developed super strength and defenses.  He didn't really care.

The newspapers dubbed him Amok, and over the years he has gone on several berserk rampages through the city. Police are looking for him, but when he's not enraged Amok blends into the street scene - one more homeless person among many.

Personality: Amok just wants to be left alone.  Period.  When people annoy him, he tends to go berserk, smashing through downtown San Angelo in an uncontrollable fury.

Anything can set Amok off- a chatty homeless person, a snotty liquor-store clerk, a religious pamphleteer or city police officers moving vagrants along.  Paranormal arch-criminals sometimes try to recruit Amok for their schemes, which also bugs him.

Amok doesn't really want to fight anyone, but when he's annoyed his temper takes hold and he becomes uncontrollable. Afterwards, he's often remorseful about his berserk actions and drinks to forget his horrible rampages.

Powers and Tactics: Amok has incredible strength and defenses, but his paranormal powers have also left him

oddly vulnerable to sound-based attacks. Amok only fights when he's berserk, so his combat tactics are almost non-existent. He attacks anything in front of him until it's destroyed, then goes on to the next target.

Amok often attacks cars, buildings and other inanimate objects as people usually flee at first sight of him.  He'll gladly fight supers or anyone else who holds still long enough, though.

Once his anger has been touched off, Amok cuts a random path of destruction through the city until halted

by heroes or exhaustion.

Appearance: Amok, 43, is a homeless man with black hair and brown eyes.  He stands 6' tall and has a muscular build, which he often conceals under an old overcoat.  His clothing is typically dirty, smelly, and worn-out.

"On it," says one of the two ski-masked communications staffers whose voice sounds like she's from New England.

"Margo, our secretary, suggested that cat burglar chic look for us," Tara says.  "All of us agreed with that.  Since she's the first person everyone sees when they enter from the main building, Margo decided against wearing a ski mask.  Bonnie and I sometimes do, but the communications team, headed by Peggy Carter, who is off duty today, always does."  

Bonnie looks at a monitor and reads off weather information.

"Good flying weather," Joanna says, grabbing her bag.  "I'm going to pre-flight the copter."  She then heads out.

"Navigation data will be on your tablet, Joanna" Tara says.

"Understood," Joanna says.

"Lotus approved your coming," the communications staffer says.  "She adds that, due to injured people in the area, the REACH Air Medical Services copter is inbound from Lakeview Airport and that the press has arrived."

Lady Heart reads from the tablet. "Our prime mission is search and rescue. Our secondary mission is to assess the senior members. Our third mission is do not get hurt." S/he looks at the team. "Sounds doable. Me and Spirit Cat have assisted the team before, unofficially of course. When you've been at it for three years, you know."

"Don't forget that there are gas and water pipes as well as storm and sanitary sewers under the streets, Cornerstone," Bonnie says.  "Some also have electrical, telephone, and fiber optic cables there." 

Tara snaps her fingers and says, "You could go through the storm sewers.  The ones in the city are big enough for two people to work in side by side.  I'll send the map to your smartphone."

"Joanna keeps waterproof flashlights in the copter's emergency gear cases," Bonnie adds.  "She'll loan you one."

Edited by Mark Rand
fixed spelling error

"OK. The word sanitary added to the word sewer sounds like an oxymoron.   Many gas and water pipes are often in straight lines and not that hard to avoid.   I will use the storm drains.  Concrete walls line the sides and bottom.   I'm ready whenever you are. "

You arrive at the hanger for the helicopter and TurboJet.  Both sets of roof doors are open and the exhaust fans are running.

"Once everyone's aboard, I'll start the engines and takeoff," Joanna says from her seat.  "Headsets are above the seats."

Spirit Cat climbs into the left rear seat, buckles her seat belts, puts her headset on, and positions the microphone.

Cornerstone sits in the seat he was asked to sit in.  He checks the seat belt twice to make sure it is snug and the chest strap works.

He puts on the headphones.  He whispers. "Blue leader. This is orange leader, I see stormtroopers off your port...  "  he looks up realizing his headphones were on.  If rocks could turn red... "um, test, test."