Gun Strength => Sword

HeroGM

In Dark Champions they have a fun little super-skill/talent called the above (I believe, my brain is half froze from work).

It basically gives extra STR with the limitation of only to help with the STR min of firearms. 

Has anyone else ported this over to Fantasy Hero? Or even played around with other little talent/feats for people to use?  

+xx runnning, only vs Armor Enc. 

+xx end, only to cast spells (or even extra ego or int)

+xx dex/acrobatics, only walking on ledges

I worked up a combination of PSLs and Movement to create Armor "feats" for Light/Medium/Heavy Armor. Also a few to help mages along, mainly Naked Advantages to help with spell casting or to nulify a limitation (or three).

Usually the points spent on characteristics are so minimal that I don't seriously consider buying characteristics with limitations. I'm buying five points of STR or four points of DEX. It's not like I'm buying thirty or thirty-five points of some characteristic so that some of the benefit I get from the characteristic could be optional.

I probably need what STR I buy to carry stuff, use weapons, make STR rolls, and add to figured characteristics in editions with those. I need the DEX roll, to help out on DEX skill rolls, etc. I need the INT for perception rolls, skill rolls, how many spells I can keep going at a time, etc.

I mean, I could probably buy limited STR only so I could use an over-sized war hammer. But I'd still have to tote the over-sized war hammer around along with all the rest of my gear so I'd really want the extra carrying capacity which would come from having STR without that limitation. 

5 hours ago, HeroGM said:

In Dark Champions they have a fun little super-skill/talent called the above (I believe, my brain is half froze from work).

It basically gives extra STR with the limitation of only to help with the STR min of firearms. 

Has anyone else ported this over to Fantasy Hero? Or even played around with other little talent/feats for people to use?  

+xx runnning, only vs Armor Enc. 

+xx end, only to cast spells (or even extra ego or int)

+xx dex/acrobatics, only walking on ledges

I worked up a combination of PSLs and Movement to create Armor "feats" for Light/Medium/Heavy Armor. Also a few to help mages along, mainly Naked Advantages to help with spell casting or to nulify a limitation (or three).

Hero GM, I would like to see these feats.  PM or post would love this.

To jump back for a second (and to be an @$$). I don't know what books Gandalf does or doesn't have so I'm just going to type this and fake it, especially since I have to reinstall Windows and everything else on this laptop. 

Most of the spells that my players start out with is 60ap. Common Limitations from Fantasy Hero/Fantasy Hero Complete are in observance so it's -3 1/4 (more or less). 

• Concentration
  • Incantations
  • OAF 
  • Require Skill Rolle (Ego) (Magic/Faith)
  • Extra Time
  • etc...

You may have extra things such as personal immunity, or Extra End Cost. Spells (even Cleric spells) require three things. Spells come from "The Weave" - a demi-plane of energy that Mages, Immortals, and Clerics may draw power from.  Yes, Mages and Clerics draw the power from the same sources. Clerics may also need to learn spells (prayers) from scrolls. 

To learn spells you need these three abilities: 

• Power Skill (Faith or Mage; based on Ego) - To pull power out of the weave you have to have the mental will to do so, otherwise the Weave might overpower you and pull you in (Side Effect anyone?).
  • Spell Research (Int) (mainly Mages) - How well do you know Magic? Can you connect the fact that Rassuman's Spell of Destruction is similar to Xygag's and that MAYBE Xygag's came first? Can you tell which diagram is from the Shadow School of Arcana?
  • Appropriate Language Skill - Scrolls, Spell books, etc are written in the Mage's native tongue. Can you translate it or do you have to pay 500gp (more or less) to get it translated? And what does the translator do with it? Keep it and give it to you, make 10 copies to sell behind your back? If you know the language you can put it in your spell book or a scroll without any issue (I'm not THAT mean.) 

MetaMagic (ack, D&D term I know)

As I said all the spells are 60ap with appropriate limitations. You can buy little "talents" to play around with spells to get more out of them. 

[My Math may be off here, these are examples, not hard-coded stats]

So I want to cast spells that are silent. Hence, no Incantations (-1/4) on it.  So a 60ap Power/Spell with -1/4 (nothing but Incantations for this example) is 48pts.

60-48 is 12 points, so our "Silent Spell Talent" is 12 points base. Now add on whatever Advantages/Limitations you want to add on to that cost. 

Woah, wait a minute...say what? Look in the Force Section of Champion's Powers and you'll see what I mean, with them using Always On as an example. Basically you are creating a "Naked Limitation" power. If you are taking away 12 points due to the limitation then with it the limitation is knocked out. Now remember though, this is only affecting spells (or Str or whatever other limited ability) up to the Active Points you put in (up to 60AP in this example). So if your Mage is flinging 120AP spells, well this talent doesn't cover it. Maybe a stronger version for him? 

One 'talent' I have used on occasion was "Armor Training" bought as +5 STR only to offset Encumbrance penalties.  It wasn't so much a matter of saving points as making the knight fit the player's character conception better, making the knight a little more mobile and cinematic in combat without having to buy a 20 STR.

37 minutes ago, Ockham's Spoon said:

One 'talent' I have used on occasion was "Armor Training" bought as +5 STR only to offset Encumbrance penalties.  It wasn't so much a matter of saving points as making the knight fit the player's character conception better, making the knight a little more mobile and cinematic in combat without having to buy a 20 STR.

I do things like that plus toss in some extra running to offset the movement penalties. "work mule" hehehe...only allow up to 50% encumbrance though. Maybe a small pool of endurance as well for it. If mages can do it for spells why not warriors?

48 minutes ago, HeroGM said:

I do things like that plus toss in some extra running to offset the movement penalties. "work mule" hehehe...only allow up to 50% encumbrance though. Maybe a small pool of endurance as well for it. If mages can do it for spells why not warriors?

Exactly.  Besides which it allows for more variety in warrior classes.  Of course I had a player with a mage who bought a spell called Phantom Servant that was basically extra STR to offset Encumbrance, but that was more for hauling supplies and treasure than offsetting combat penalties.