2021 Baseball Thread

Pariah

On 3/11/2022 at 10:31 PM, Pariah said:

For an exhibition game that ultimately means absolutely nothing, I agree with the author that this is a fine idea. The only problem I have with it is that people might think it's such a good idea that they decide to move it to the regular season, which would suck.

MLB's All-Star Game could be decided by home run derby instead of extra innings

If people thought the runner on 2nd to start the inning was an abomination...and they did...they'd never, EVER consider a derby to decide a real game.

Personally, even for an ASG, I think this is even more stupid than normal.  But, the morons have painted themselves into a corner.  You cannot:

a)  insist on playing everyone

b)  protect players...there's no way you want a pitcher throwing too much, or coming back in after cooling off

c)  play the game as honestly as possible, in terms of the rules of the game, and 

d)  account for extra innings

b) is untouchable.  Burn out a pitcher for an exhibition?  Risk an arm injury by having him pitch, then sit, then come back to pitch?  Inconceivable.  But that makes a) and d) basically incompatible.

Also, as a variant on b).  Say you do a derby.  Who can hit in it?  The starters that've been sitting for the better part of 2 hours?  There's some injury risk there, I'd think.  The last players on the field?  We KNOW who gets the starts, tho:  the long ball hitters.  There's likely to be a *sharp* dropoff.

Honestly, I don't care.  Let the stupid game end in a tie.  Maybe go 10, instead of 9;  that wouldn't be a big stretch, one would *hope*, given the amount of downtime involved.  Ties happen regularly in preseason.  We don't *need* a winner.  

10 hours ago, Pariah said:

Okay, not really, but I appreciate the sentiment.

colorado-rockies-02.png

Toss in the logo of Sandlot Brewing, and you've got a lovely double entendre.