2021 Baseball Thread

Pariah

The HIllsboro Hops got promoted this off-season. Previously they played a three-month season in the Short-Season A Northwest League. Now they have been promoted to full season A Advanced. It is unclear which league they will be in, or whether the Northwest League will be promoted with them.

One team that was not in voted into the new minor league system was Salem-Keizer, Which is south on I-5 in the Oregon state capital of Salem. Apparently that team would have to fold.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good article here:
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-lockout-four-things-to-know-as-talks-between-owners-and-players-get-serious-in-january/

What worries me, tho, is the players are asking for a LOT.  The owners have gamed the agreement a fair bit, and they won't want to change very much of it.  And things like the way vets are often *seriously* overpaid when they're just mediocre...just because they've been around...that's not a baseball issue, I don't think.  it's in every sport.  That's going to be an very intransigent issue.  Rookie deals...the killer to me is, SO MANY rookies bomb out.  So the base salary probably shouldn't be the issue.  The obvious alternative is performance incentives...but that just begs the front office to game the system.

So I wouldn't be surprised if this goes on an uncomfortably long time.

Nothing would prod the owners more than if actual club teams, one-player-one-share player-owned clubs, formed and started playing.  Probably not going to happen this year with the pandemic still raging, but it's an idea I would support.  Might even buy tickets for the first time in years.

Heck, they could make themselves even more popular by rolling back to the rules as they were pre-1973.

On 1/5/2022 at 8:52 AM, Cancer said:

Nothing would prod the owners more than if actual club teams, one-player-one-share player-owned clubs, formed and started playing.  Probably not going to happen this year with the pandemic still raging, but it's an idea I would support.  Might even buy tickets for the first time in years.

Heck, they could make themselves even more popular by rolling back to the rules as they were pre-1973.

This would be much harder to pull off than the USFL, at least in terms of getting high-quality players.  In addition to the majors, there's at least AAA, and possibly even AA to consider, where pretty clear paths to MLB and success exist.  Also, when would such a league play?  The USFL is smartly NOT trying to go head-to-head;  the Arena League didn't, either.  Would that even be feasible with baseball?  No...or, worse, this'd be competing with football.  Dream on there.

Mets announce they'll retire Keith Hernandez' number, IIRC in June.

All I have to say is...what the HECK took so long????

Granted, he spent more time in St. Louis, but in 6+ years, he hit just under .300 with 80 homers and 468 RBI.  3 time All Star.  5 time Gold Glove.  2nd and 4th in MVP balloting.  All in that time frame.  Went into the Mets Hall of Fame in '97;  voted the Mets top all-time first baseman.  He's not in the Baseball Hall of Fame, but the voters have always favored strikeouts and sluggers.

6 hours ago, Pariah said:

Hopefully we'll be able to commemorate some of these remarkable events by actually having a baseball season this year.

How baseball changed forever in 1972: A timeline of MLB's most memorable events, 50 years later

Hank Aaron signs the first $200K contract.  For reference, that would be about $1.3M today.  

I still fear that the timing is really poor for avoiding a strike this year, unlike 1972.  The antagonism level between players and owners has become exceptionally high.  I vaguely remember the Flood case, but pretty sure it didn't make a whole lot of sense at the time.  

I'd forgotten the Carlton trade.  Not Carlton;  arguably the best lefty slider I can ever recall.  

19 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Hank Aaron signs the first $200K contract.  For reference, that would be about $1.3M today.  

I still fear that the timing is really poor for avoiding a strike this year, unlike 1972.  The antagonism level between players and owners has become exceptionally high.  I vaguely remember the Flood case, but pretty sure it didn't make a whole lot of sense at the time.  

I'd forgotten the Carlton trade.  Not Carlton;  arguably the best lefty slider I can ever recall.  

The Flood cases are possibly the most important piece of sports legislation ever. They basically began to break the dam on free agency in all the major professional sports.

Curt Flood - Wikipedia

image.png.916a0e6cf5aef7358ad55647b643a69e.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2022 at 2:17 PM, Pariah said:

Hopefully we'll be able to commemorate some of these remarkable events by actually having a baseball season this year.

How baseball changed forever in 1972: A timeline of MLB's most memorable events, 50 years later

Not looking great.  Jeff Passan of ESPN reports talks still mostly stalled, and spring training is likely to be delayed.  Opening dates vary apparently, but the first ones were scheduled for the 14th.  Every team had first games scheduled for the 26th.

• 2 weeks later...