Batpeople, Archers and other skilled gear users

assault

My deal is that "Batman", "Green Arrow" (Hawkeye) and similar characters are viable CNow characters by definition. I'm struggling a bit about how to build them.

Batman himself isn't an issue. In 1939, he was a "pure" martial artist without any drama.

That doesn't apply to, say, Green Arrow, Sandman, Doctor Mid-Nite or a whole bunch of other characters.

The problem with them is that they tend to be very broad concepts, involving skills, martial arts and gadgets. That spreads their points across a lot of things. This tends to mean they aren't all that effective in a pure combat sense.

It's not that big a deal if their gadgets are fairly narrowly defined. Sandman has a gas gun, Dr Mid-Nite has darkness. But Green Arrow has a bunch of different arrows, and so on.

I can kind of fix things, but none of my builds have yet impressed me.

Has anyone built a "skilled normal with gadgets" that works well for them?

(An admission, I'm looking at a Green Lantern/Green Arrow team, or a Superman/Batman "World's Finest" team.)

---

I will not rant about Dennis O'Neil's political background.

I think Green Arrow works best with an Archery Elemental Control. Each slot should be distinctive, should involve multiple Bonuses rather than a number of redundant attacks, and shouldn't include anything that can be done with Pushing. So he might have a Just Shooting slot that is a Blast with Piercing. He may not always use a regular arrow, it could be a boxing glove arrow or an incendiary, but it is assumed when he is Just Shooting he uses whatever is optimal. Then he has some kind of snaring arrow, a smoke arrow, and a swingline arrow.

This isn’t just a problem for you, all gaming is faced with the question “Do I want to do everything kind of well, or one thing very well?” 
   The way I try to deal with it is to follow the special effect of the character and powers to give me as many limitations as reasonable.  Batman’s belt is OIF, Hawkeye’s quiver only has so many charges, Green Lantern’s ring didn’t work against yellow until he bought off the limitation. Now it does.

Batman is an example of doing a lot of things at once, none of them perfect until he had the points. The Thing however was a top round Brick from the start and only got better with age.

Look carefully into your character and the questions will answer themselves.  Good luck & Have fun!

• 8 months later...
On 2/20/2021 at 10:11 AM, assault said:

It's not that big a deal if their gadgets are fairly narrowly defined. Sandman has a gas gun, Dr Mid-Nite has darkness. But Green Arrow has a bunch of different arrows, and so on.

I can kind of fix things, but none of my builds have yet impressed me.

Has anyone built a "skilled normal with gadgets" that works well for them?

What's wrong with the standard Multipower build? That seems pretty much tailor made for this situation.