2021 College Football Thread

Pariah

21 hours ago, Pariah said:

Colorado State might also be on upset alert against South Dakota State (an FCS finalist in the spring).

SDSU 42, CSU 23. In Fort Collins. Embarrassing.

Looks like Colorado State's going to be locked in death match with New Mexico for last place in that division.

Not *that* bad.  SD State is a good team;  have to be, to win the FCS title.

Of course, CSU is one massive embarrassment, so any more is only appropriate...

Or, you could be down here in southern New Mexico.  The preseason Bottom 10 has UTEP at #10...and NMSU at #2.  As they usually are.  Of course, when you're 43-141 since 2005, you earn that.

And this is amusing....

https://www.bestcolleges.com/features/worst-college-football-programs/

CSU is #18, to be sure.  As a graduate of the state's real university, this is excellent.

But UTEP is #8.

And NMSU is #5.

So down here...we know bad football.

10 hours ago, Iuz the Evil said:

Dang UCLA, maybe the Kirby hire pays off this season?

I presume you mean Potato Chip...Kelly?

One must also start listening for the grumbling about Orgeron.  LSU fans are not known for their patience.

And Dabo lost.  That said...it probably won't hurt that much.  Clemson's rep is too good;  if they blow through the ACC as expected, they'll still make it into the playoffs.

30 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

I presume you mean Potato Chip...Kelly?

One must also start listening for the grumbling about Orgeron.  LSU fans are not known for their patience.

And Dabo lost.  That said...it probably won't hurt that much.  Clemson's rep is too good;  if they blow through the ACC as expected, they'll still make it into the playoffs.

Yeah Chip Kelly. 

The Dabo loss isn’t bad, he’ll be fine. Aside from the rep you correctly point out, it’s exactly the sort of loss one wants (if one is going to lose): early in the season, to a highly ranked opponent, in a close fight. 

Well, that's good to know.

FSU and Notre Dame.  ND's punting.  FSU rusher hits the kicker firmly;  flag's thrown.  The question before the house is...5 yards running into, or 15 for roughing?  It was 4th and 9.

So ESPN bounces it to John Perry, their college rules expert.  He says...if it's the kick leg, it's 5 yards.  If it's the plant leg, it's 15.  That makes a lot of sense.  It was the kicking leg, so the punter gets spun around...but that's diffusing the impact.  When it's the plant leg, that's *seriously* dangerous;  severe knee or leg injuries are alllllll too possible.

I can't recall ever hearing that distinction before.

EDIT:  cool story in this game.  Remember McKensie Milton from UCF?  Led UCF to a couple excellent years in 2017 and 2018...finished quite respectably in the Heisman voting both years.  HORRIFIC!!!!! injury....from the Sporting News:

Dr. Bruce Levy, one of the top orthopaedic surgeons in the United States who took over Milton's case, told the Orlando Sentinel that he suffered a knee dislocation in his knee where the thigh bone and lower leg bone were completely dislocated; that caused significant disruption to the blood flow in his leg. He also tore ligaments and some tendons, resulting in "no nerve function or very little nerve function" in his knee, per Levy.

One doctor reportedly told Milton that nearly 50 percent of patients with similar injuries had to have their leg amputated. The damage was more severe than expected, and doctors, including Levy, weren't sure if Milton would ever play football again.

So the starting FSU QB had to come out for a play;  his helmet got knocked off.  Milton enters the game...his first play is a nice 18-20 yard completion.  He stays in...nothing discussed as to why, but concussion check is certainly plausible when a player loses his helmet.  Anyway, Milton quite briskly marches the Seminoles right down the field, bip, bang, boom, TOUCHDOWN.  To bring FSU to within 3.

Dr. Levy was at the game;  he said he had to see if it happened, because, as far as anyone knew...no one had ever come back from this.  

VERY cool.

It is week 1.  One has to wonder how much on-the-field drills there've been...lots of teams didn't have spring drills, for example.  And practice probably still isn't completely normal.

But still...

Ole Miss is taking Louisville behind the woodshed, pretty much;  it's 23-0 with 3 minutes left in the first half.  But that's not the big story, for me.

There have been 4 targeting penalties already.  4 of em, 2 on each team.  And each one was solid;  they weren't borderline in any way.  One of em was even a hit on a sliding QB by 2 defensive players, BOTH of which could've been ejected.  Only 1 was.  

Hopefully this will be week 1, overly hyped, and something that the coaching staffs will address, but it's not a good reflection about the staffs  in my book.

((confusion, sorry))

1 minute ago, Cancer said:

It may not be purely the coaching staff's fault.  Different schools have adopted/are adopting measures against the pandemic in different ways; university administrations are far from a monolithic single voice of authority.  Researching how exactly each program has been bollixed up by these would take far more effort that it's worth.

BTW:  the final tally...6 FCS schools beat FBS schools over the long weekend.

OK, one of the FBS schools was Vandy, and another was UConn, where the coach just got dumped..."this is my last year" became "let let the door hit you on your way out."  You don't give a departure tour when the team's gone 3-21 in the 2018-19 seasons, and 0-16 in conference play...and then lose to Holy Cross.

12 hours ago, Pariah said:

I'd swap Boise and Utah State personally, but that's just me.

What's next in college football realignment? A common sense plan to bond Group of 5

What kills the idea in the article is the inter-school politics and perceptions.  

Plus, who's gonna want to watch games with many of these bad teams?  And where are they going to find broadcast time?  Feels like these'd be relegated to regional sports networks only, and the money isn't there.

American Athletic Conference commissioner Mike Aresco: “It’s ironic that the Big 12 appears to have done what they accused us of doing”.

--

14 hours ago, unclevlad said:

That's because they have CSU #1, admit it.

I watched part of the CSU game last Friday. They sure looked like one of the worst teams in the country.

It's official.

Big 12 extends conference membership to BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, UCF; programs to accept invitations Friday

Does the addition of these four programs make up for the loss of Oklahoma and Texas? No, of course not. Does it mean that the conference will still be at least as competitive as the PAC? Yes, though that's not a particularly high bar to clear. It does put to rest any talk of the American being a "P6" conference, though. 

With the American losing three schools, what will the G5 domino effect look like? Who does the AAC poach to replace Cincy, Houston, and UCF? I've heard Boise State and maybe even San Diego State mentioned. Personally, I think Army would be a great pickup (especially as a natural rival of Navy). Coastal Carolina might work, too, though I haven't heard them specifically mentioned. Would Liberty like to be a part of the American? It sounds like the AAC commissioner wants to move quickly to reinforce his league.

Losing Boise would hurt the Mountain West (who suffered the loss of Utah, TCU, and BYU a decade ago). There aren't a lot of good teams west of the Mississippi who aren't already in the MW. UT-San Antonio, maybe? Nobody else really comes to mind. Sure, you could mention New Mexico State, but nobody would take you seriously.

It will be interesting, at least to those who follow G5 football, to see what happens next.