Pulp Images

HeroGM

On 1/10/2024 at 9:27 PM, wcw43921 said:

I don't think she's that thrilled, if you ask me.  .  .

"Those gloves start wandering and I'm high-sticking this guy."

I find myself wondering which feature story is being illustrated there.  I suppose it's Meet Miss Jones, given the relative scarcity of ice hockey players south of the Mason-Dixon line in this era, much less the Rio Grande.

Monty Python spent a whole skit warning us about blancmanges invading from space, when all along it was actually omelets we needed to look out for.

AST_1930_02_L.jpg

Even with the eyes it's still more appetizing than anything I ever had at Denny's back in my youth.

Edited by Rich McGee

Amusingly, the phrase "Everything's better with monkeys" hadn't even been invented in 1931.

AST_1930_12_L.jpg

AST_1931_06_L.jpg

AST_1932_01_L.jpg

Must not have been as effective a sales booster as it was for comics a decade or two later, I don't see a single other simian cover in the 25-odd years before Astounding turned into Analog.  

1 hour ago, GDShore said:

As to that fist western cover, the body in the street "probly got hiself shot inna back. Pistols are lousy weapons at ranges above 10 meters.

Which poses some interesting problems if your gunfight is happening in a realistic Old West railroad or cattle town.  The main street(s) were often ~100' wide, since they were built to allow horse-drawn wagons to make a 180 degree turn.  You literally could not blaze away from one side of such a street to the other with real accuracy, and getting closer leaves you standing in the open with little or no cover - horses, livestock and potential human shields would generally vacate the area with haste, although you might luck into a conveniently-parked wagon in the right spot.  OTOH, back streets (if there were any) could be smaller, and transient mining towns were often very cramped with no real evidence of any kind of urban planning until they'd lasted long enough to burn down and get rebuilt a few times.

6 hours ago, GDShore said:

As to that fist western cover, the body in the street "probly got hiself shot inna back. Pistols are lousy weapons at ranges above 10 meters.

spacer.png

"Just what in tarnation do ye mean by that word 'meters?'

You keep that sorta highfalutin' talk back East where it belongs!" 

18 minutes ago, GDShore said:

Another thing wrong with that cover, the two guys two guns each, unless they are both ambidextrous, dumb, dumber, dumbest. With the off hand their just wasting lead, and I hate waste. 

And how do you feel about Glock Roach here?  :)

ogssf-zb-27.webp

The trench coat makes him a potential pulp character, especially since the sculpting on the guns could let them double as practically any automatic you'd see waved around on the cover of Black Mask or Thrilling Detective.  :)

2 hours ago, GDShore said:

I was going to gush about the figurine myself, Arthur beat me to it. 

FWIW, Old Glory has a huge online catalog that includes quite a few Prohibition Era figures, a whole range of Wild West stuff, various horror/weird tales-appropriate minis, and resin buildings from many time periods, as well as their big fat Superfigs range and a nice array of very early-pulp-styled scifi stuff under the Blue Moon listings.  If you're after minis for playing pulp era they're a decent place to window shop. 

If you do see a pile you like, I strongly recommend grabbing a membership in their "Old Glory Army" program before pulling the trigger and ordering.  It's $50 for teh year, but you get a whopping 40% off on almost everything they sell, plus a free bag of minis from a big menu of stuff that can cost almost as much (sans the 40%) the membership.  I'm partial to their modular robot set myself.  Back when I was more of a mercenary painter my friends and I would put together one big order a year (to save postage) and the discount would pay for the membership five or six times over.  Harder to do when you're one person, but if you've got anyone else who might want to bundle with you it's easy to at least break even.  Never pay retail from OG.  Their stuff's already priced pretty low for what it is, but it's crazy cheap at 40% off.

9 hours ago, DentArthurDent said:

Amazing miniatures pix you posted on your blog. The Gnome Conjurer and ‘pet’ dragon are exceptional.

Thanks.  I used to be at least semi-pro as a mercenary brush, but the market changed and I gave up on it around the start of COVID.

The Spell Wars gnome is a bit of a cheat owing to being larger scale than the usual 28-30mm stuff you see from Games Workshop or Paizo.  Much easier to paint mid-size stuff like 40-54mm figs (even when they're shorter than a human) than smaller gaming figs or larger pieces (like busts or big vinyl/resin kits) IME.  OTOH, 15mm and 6mm are easy to do in large numbers and look good en masse.  That gnome is a lovely sculpt as well, which always helps.  With some figs the paint job feels like putting lipstick on a pig, y'know?  :) 

8 hours ago, wcw43921 said:

For Pulp RPGs--it's the diner.

Great images.  We've still got a couple of local diners that reach back into the latter part of the Pulp Era.  One's been mostly refurnished but kept a corner largely as it was originally, and the other's almost vintage throughout - barring the modern kitchen and bathrooms. 

There's also a great little diner out in the boondocks where all the decor is vintage stuff from WW2 - postcards, GI training manuals, photos, kit, etc.  They even play period music.  There's usually an old half track or tank out front too, but whoever was loaning them hasn't had one on display in years so maybe that's done for good.  The food's not very good, but it's a history buff's dream.

That's a fair chunk of prize money for 1930, even divided between several winners.  Mind you, they're paying in gold, so these days you'd need a magnifying glass to see your winnings.  What's $25 of gold mass in 2024?

AWS_1930_02_L.jpg

To paraphrase from MST3K, "Sure am glad this outfit doesn't make me look stupid."

Edited by Rich McGee