Rebuilding the weapons list

Christopher R Taylor

On 12/18/2021 at 3:06 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

I like some of these ideas, but the problem is you don't want to turn it into Chart Law where you have to consult table 4.2 to find out what matrix you use on page 742 adjusted by chart 13.8

Oh come on. 

Chartmaster was a hoot.  Who doesn't want 57 charts detailing every possibility of every type of critical?  I mean I can remember that time we actually completed one full combat in only one session.

:sneaky:

I don't know if you've seen my old alternate Arms & Armor Variant from back in the day. I used it in several 5e Fantasy Hero campaigns and it was very well received by the weapon fetishist players in the various groups. I also received feedback from other GM's who used it successfully in those days as well. It's much more gritty than I would go these days as I've drifted towards favoring lower crunch mechanics over the years, but it is a battle tested subsystem that might at least be interesting to take a glance at.

I defined a set of categories which determine DC, concealability, # of hands, and STR Min, and then a seperate list of traits that offer various benefits and drawbacks.

The weapon list is then just a process of assigning a given weapon to a category and tagging it up with the traits necessary to dial in its particular nature.

Some of the traits (Bashing, Slashing, Piercing, etc.) interact with specific types of armor (Cloth, Leather, Scale, Chain, Plate) which offers very tactical considerations in a given engagement depending upon what weapon is being used and what sorts of armor the current opposition is wearing. And so on.

image.png.0c964873e00112a7a6ecef4f4e8e6647.png

image.png.a54344f448276f08f36d701bf0f73a17.png

image.thumb.png.cc6c63e2c7793ca493d46717fc40dcde.png

On 1/3/2022 at 2:23 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

That's where I am headed as well.  I can be crunchy with the best of them, if not more so, but I am leaning more these days toward "easy to play"

Kind of find this a little sad, but then I look at 6th edition and retreat back to fourth. I think I understand, but On the flip side I really have a hate on for heavy narrative systems, as I still gravitate towards the mechanical impartiality of Wargame based systems. 

I immediately understood Killer Shrike’s weapon classification system and yes it allows for building historical and fantasy melee weapons. I could slot in several. It seems to work.