Spirit folk and Hegenyokai

Mr. R

I was looking at my (OLD) copy of Oriental Adventures and saw the listed races.  The recent discussion about elves made me think that these are a lot more interesting as the elf types.  But...

How would you place them into a Hero game.  I ask because if I were to place non humans into a game, this would be it.  They are different enough to NOT be human but still be human like.  Also they have no "Homeland" so every country could have a sizable population of both!

I don't remember this race, and don't know what kind of campaign world you want to run. With that extremely large caveat out of the way ;) , my first thought is that they were either the original inhabitants of the lands which humans migrated to, or they were themselves driven from their original homeland and formed a diaspora across  neighboring lands.

Well, hengeyokai are probably closest to the Fair Folk in how you can look at them. They can be good, neutral or evil. Kitsune, Bakeneko and other Japanese spirit races pretty much run across the moral spectrum.

if you don’t have it, I would suggest picking up the two Asian Bestiaries in the Hero store for many, many write-ups of such beasties. They could be easily converted to racial templates.

what Steve said. Get Asian Bestiary for a start. Then use their bibliography to find all the stories you can about Japanese supernatural creatures, because it's always best to go back to the source.

As for, "How would you place them in a Hero game?" that requires an essay, not a post. And I wrote that essay: "Faeries in the Campaign," p. 195 of The Ultimate Mystic. Buy My Book! 😈

Dean Shomshak