Willow on Disney Plus

Scott Ruggels

I remember that there was a Sourcebook for RPGs for the Original Willow film back in the day, that was written by Allen Varney? As I remember the book, it was thin, and had stat blocks for the Movie Characters (for which system, I forget), and had a lot of info on the various gods, and some description of a couple of kingdoms.  I guess now they can or will flesh it out more?  As for the original Movie, I was ambivalent, but the first use of "morphs" on film, was one of the moments where I could accept the magic as real.

The setting in the movie was a Lucasfilm and ILM attempt to make a Tolkien-esque Fantasy, but was a bit spare, mostly wilderness locations, save fore places used for set piece action. It was one of Ron Howard’s first film directing gigs.  Now while there was a minor Fantasy boom in the 80s with films like Conan, Beastmaster, and Ladyhawke, Willow underperformed and never had its promised sequel. For some of us gamers, the film was too light and too predictable.  Madmartigan tonaly felt a bit mismatch for the rest of the characters. A 1980s slacker in the 12 Century. Unfortunately this was an often seen slaw in other movies as well, but in the successful films, the mismatch was used in comedies.  

So now, to add yet another piece of serial content to Disney+, Lucasfilm dives to the back of their vaults of their IPs and brings up this film. It looked interesting, and with the health problems that Val Kilmer has, there will be no roguish swashbuckler with an 80s attitude.  With the LED environment technology, locations could look more artistic and less sparse. Lucasfilm always had a good crew of artists, so the costumes and props can easily surpass Wheel of Time, and Rings of Power, and can approach The Ring Trilogy, levels of fit and Polish. 

The problem is, that it is 2022, which means COVID protocols will rob about 30% of time and budget, and place restrictions on blocking, cinematography, and cast density. So while the locations may look a lot more lush, markets, cities, and armies will look sparse, or full of digital extras. 

The other problem is Disney and Lucasfilm as they are currently. The two weakness of the script for the latest Disney+ shows, are young writers who have little life experience or knowledge of history or things outside of school, and a company drive to push “The Message”. Because of this there is a high possibility that it will be unpleasantly “woke”. I have walked away from Star Wars, or any woke taunted properties, not because of the message, but because they prioritized the message above the story and entertainment.  Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner could be considered woke, but it starred a top actor, and had a very sharp and well written script.  Now I don’t expect this from the Willow show, I would hope it would be an entertaining fantasy, but that hope wilts in the expectation I have of how it will most probably appear. 

I will watch one episode and see If I am entertained and if there is anything I can mine for a Fantasy Hero campaign,but I may just cancel Disney+ and save some cash.  

Madmartigan tonaly felt a bit mismatch for the rest of the characters.

Yeah he never seemed like he took the place seriously, like he wandered in off another set and dressed up.  I liked the character quite a bit but he was out of place with everyone else in the film being fairly in genre and serious (even the faeries were genre appropriate, if annoying idiots).

Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner could be considered woke, but it starred a top actor, and had a very sharp and well written script

That's it in a nutshell.  If you make it well, with good writing and acting, its tolerable to have your message.  But obnoxious politics plus bad writing, plus meh acting against a green screen and you have nothing worth watching.  And to combine problems, the studios attack anyone who criticizes them or doesn't like the movie as monsters and haters. 

I mean, its like cooking crappy food, preaching a sermon at the customers, then yelling insults at them as they walk out.  This is how you run your business??

When it was first released to theaters, I hadn't expected Willow to be fantasy's Star Wars, but I'd hoped it would be a fun adventure. And it was, sort of. There were some good lines and some good moments. But in the end it just wasn't very well done, like most fantasy films.

I rewatched it a few years ago, and still see it that way. It's OK, but unremarkable.

Will they improve on it with a series, or will they just try to give the audience more of the same? I suspect the latter.

Will they improve on it with a series, or will they just try to give the audience more of the same? I suspect the latter.

I really liked the Dark Crystal as a movie, but the series was kind of bland.  I mean it looked wonderful and all it just was retelling the same story, but MUCH MUCH SLOWER.

4 hours ago, GM Joe said:

When it was first released to theaters, I hadn't expected Willow to be fantasy's Star Wars, but I'd hoped it would be a fun adventure. And it was, sort of. There were some good lines and some good moments. But in the end it just wasn't very well done, like most fantasy films.

I rewatched it a few years ago, and still see it that way. It's OK, but unremarkable.

When my friends and I watched it way back when, we couldn’t seem to help ourselves from riffing on the bits it seemed to steal from Star Wars. Not a surprise given who produced it.

The Evil General was also given a costume seemingly made for mockery by teenaged film goers like we were.

• 2 weeks later...

There have been movies that when the concept was taken to TV, the TV show turned out much better.  The one I am thinking about is Highlander movie -> TV show.  The TV show grew past the original material in a very good way.  There were plenty of "who is the immortal of the week to die" episodes.  There were also longer story arcs that were intertwined in the series.

I am kind of hoping that Willow will turn out the same way.  I will probably watch a season of the series just to see if it is any good.  Most TV shows have a marginal 1 season (see Star Trek Next Generation).

On 6/24/2022 at 11:00 AM, bluesguy said:

I am kind of hoping that Willow will turn out the same way.  I will probably watch a season of the series just to see if it is any good.  Most TV shows have a marginal 1 season (see Star Trek Next Generation).

The opposite is also true. Westworld and Altered Carbon had great first seasons then it all fell apart. 

As for Willow, a new trailer came out, and yet again, Female lead, and deconstructing poor Willow. I’m done with Disney. 

9 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Well if its the little girl Willow saved in the movie, it makes sense she'd be the hero, since she was the Chosen One, etc.  Just a tiny baby at the time.

“If”, would be acceptable, but the Tiny baby should be sitting on the throne, no? 

10 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

That might be the story: why she's not on the throne, and Willow trying to get her there, presumably having learned a bit of magic a long the way.

We'll see. as I said, I'll watch the first episode, but if its the usual "current year Disney tropes" I will not watch further.

• 4 months later...