College Football 2022

unclevlad

Tulane's color scheme of forest green and sky blue is just delightful.

Houston wearing Black For Black's Sake with white helmets? Not so much.

And I know that Boise State's blue turf is a part of the program's identity, and that it's iconic and all that. I get that. But when they wear mono-blue on that field, it's almost impossible to see the players. Which, I guess, might be some sort of tactical advantage.

OU is getting gouged on defense.  Allowed 2 60+ yard runs, and 2 more 60+ passes.  Well over 500 yards.  Oh, and that's right now...haven't even reached the midpoint of the 3rd.

Unfortunately, their starting QB got nailed with one of the most egregious hits I've seen this year;  he was sliding, the defender came running full bore, lowered, and plowed through high.  One report was that the QB was knocked unconscious.  I'd love to see the conference suspend the kid for an extra game, it was really bad.

Air Force just kicked a field goal to take a 13-10 lead on Navy with 4 minutes and change left in the game. Definitely a lot closer than I anticipated.

I'm not a huge fan of Air Force's alternate Space Force unis. Black pants with blue stripes and USSF down the legs, black jerseys with way-roo-wide grey block numbers and the phrase "Semper Supra" across the back, and blue helmets that fade to black in the back. Profoundly meh. 

23 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Unfortunately, their starting QB got nailed with one of the most egregious hits I've seen this year;  he was sliding, the defender came running full bore, lowered, and plowed through high.  One report was that the QB was knocked unconscious.  I'd love to see the conference suspend the kid for an extra game, it was really bad.

That was a horrible play, and completely unnecessary. Absolutely inexcusable. If the league doesn't suspend him for additional games, his coach should.

Missed most of the game, it was clear by the second quarter what was going to happen… so I fixed the deck at the cabin and went shooting. Having a drink on the stained (last trip), tightened up deck looking at the American River. Football is supposed to be the pleasant distraction from the more important things in life, but I have other good ones.

Pot Roast tonight, Apple Hill and Pathfinder tomorrow. Good times

I'm not surprised at all.  

Arizona was 72nd in the CBS rankings going in;  they actually *dropped* 14 slots to 86th.  They didn't win by enough, I guess.  Out of 131, that's barely escaping the bottom third.  Colorado defense gave up almost 500 yards passing, and almost 180 more on the ground.  36 first downs.  And Colorado has been a laughingstock all season...an important season where CU was trying to advertise their program.  Instead, they got gonged.  

This was the closest game the Buffs have been in.  Rest of the season:  Cal is 66th, Oregon State 29th, Arizona State 101st (and it's in Boulder, so this is a plausible win)...then ranked Oregon, USC, Washington, and Utah, 

22 hours ago, Pariah said:

As I read it, there are only two winless teams left in FBS. And they're both in Colorado.

CBS bottom 25 just out.  CSU #1, Colorado #2.  NMSU is only #5...but they do have a win, even if it's over #3 Hawai'i.  And 8 of the 12 MAC teams made it in...ouch.

The truly mind boggling?  Their full ranking is out.  CBS puts Ohio State #1...fair enough for now.  But KANSAS is #13.  Yeah.  One of the most consistently bad Power 5 programs is #13, in the top 25 rather than the bottom.  Not too surprisingly, Oklahoma crashed.  Down 22 spots to #40.  Red River Rivalry game is to try to remain relevant this year...both of em are 3-2.  Obviously if Oklahoma loses, they're well into a freefall.  0-3 in the conference, with 2 more games against ranked conference opponents, threatens sub-.500 conference record and possibly falling out of all the conference's automatic bowl slots.  Texas needs the win because they've got OK State, Kansas State, TCU, and Kansas later on.  If they can't beat Oklahoma, the Alabama game will look like nothing more than a fluke.

Actually, I know in the past that Boulder was a tough sell to recruits.  It had a nasty rep for liberal snobbishness.  It's 90% white...and only about 1% black.  It's EXPENSIVE!!!!  Cost of living index is 167, altho the worst part of that is housing, because Boulder's *sharply* limited new housing development for decades now.  

I also wonder about facilities issues.  The campus is tightly constrained, and it's atop a hill.  Not easy to get new facilities;  the base of that hill is Boulder Creek and its walking/riding trail.  Facilities are a huge selling point.

Colorado State got their first win of the year last night! They kicked a walk-off field goal to beat Nevada 17-14. The Rams' two touchdowns came on a pick-6 and a scoop and score fumble recovery, so the offense only accounted for three of the 17 points. But hey, a win's a win, and at this point the Rams will take anything they can get.

Since the Rams previous for embarrassing losses were all non-conference, that means that CSU technically has a 1-0 record in conference in is currently at the top of the Mountain division. Meanwhile, Colorado has a bye today and will consequently remain the lone winless team in FBS for at least one more week.

In a little bit of inspired trolling, I saw an article saying that after seeing Oklahoma struggle against K-State and TCU, the Texas Longhorns had decided today that they were going to wear purple instead of burnt orange. Turns out they don't need the purple after all. Texas is up 28 nothing on Oklahoma at halftime in a result that I absolutely did not see coming.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

In a little bit of inspired trolling, I saw an article saying that after seeing Oklahoma struggle against K-State and TCU, the Texas Longhorns had decided today that they were going to wear purple instead of burnt orange. Turns out they don't need the purple after all. Texas is up 28 nothing on Oklahoma at halftime in a result that I absolutely did not see coming.

Seriously? With the OU starting QB out due to concussion protocol and at least the other starters due to injuries? After the departures last year?

I assumed this would be the outcome, didn’t even bother to watch the game. Until Gabriel is back there’s not much to be done, and he’s not a world beater by any means. It’ll be a long season, but frees up my Saturdays for more entertaining activities.

Going to see Elton John tonight. Should be fun!

42 minutes ago, Iuz the Evil said:

Seriously? With the OU starting QB out due to concussion protocol and at least the other starters due to injuries? After the departures last year?

I think it's the combination of the departures *gutting* the depth chart, and the injuries.  Outside of a VERY few top programs, no one really has even a full 2-deep roster these days...and all the departures took OU out of that completely.  So they're looking at a complete, almost from-scratch rebuild.

Just in time to be thrown into the SEC fire, no less.

Social media points out that OU skipped the usual post-game press conference.  Losing team goes first.  OU didn't show for a half hour, so Texas just went ahead.  My guess is that a camera feed from the postgame locker room would have had to be labeled NSFW.

And there's Colin Cowchip showing his usual class:

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/fans-are-crushing-colin-cowherd-for-what-hes-telling-oklahoma-players

The other surprise was Tennessee whooping LSU in Baton Rouge.  20-0 before LSU scores, then another 17 straight, and at that point it's obviously over, up 30 with 2 minutes left in the 3rd.