College Football 2022

unclevlad

Yeah, I saw the score, decided there wasn't much point in looking at the drives/possessions.  

Brewing QB controversy at Clemson?  Uiagelelei (hereinafter referred to as DJU) was leading them nowhere.  21-10 midway through the 3rd, Syracuse, and Clemson had 4 TOs...some of which were QB mistakes.  Backup comes in and moves them for 2 TDs, plus a nice throw for the 2 point conversion on the 2nd, after a 5 yard penalty set it back.  Suddenly it's 24-21 Clemson, trying to keep their playoff hopes alive.

WTAF is Oregon wearing? I mean, I get the whole "Wear pink to support the fight against breast cancer" thing, but Mother of Hades, Oregon's black uniforms with pink and neon yellow trim are hideous, even for Oregon. 

Meanwhile, early results suggest that BYU's defense is still MIA after last week's debacle against Arkansas. 

BYU's determined to limp through its final season as an independent before joining the Big XII next year, apparently. This will mark their third consecutive loss, and this one's arguably the worst of the three. Down 27 to Liberty with 10 minutes left? Absolutely inexcusable. Liberty has over 500 yards total offense.

Meanwhile, Weber State suffered their first loss of the season at Montana State, 43-38. The margin of victory? Weber State had four safeties on botched punts. Again, absolutely inexcusable.

I'm feeling so cranky right now, I think I'm going to have to go start grading papers.

It's official. BYU, who held a 14-3 lead at the end of the first quarter, gave up 38 unanswered points the rest of the way in one of the most embarrassing losses for the team in recent years.

Next week they host East carolina, who's currently 4-3 but has a game against Central Florida this evening. That's a game BYU should usually win, but the state of their defense now makes it impossible to make any reasonable predictions.

If TCU can't come back against K-State...down 11 at halftime at home...that'll mean the #7, #8, and #9 teams lose.  Oregon was #10, they'll clearly rise to #7...but that still suggests the big separation is between the top 6 (OSU, MIch, Tenn, Clemson, Georgia, Bama) and the rest is potentially...pretty big.  I put Bama with the top group because a) they're Bama, and b) if they can win out, they reach the SEC title game.  Win that, and we'll have both Georgia and Bama in the playoffs.

We can't have that in the Big 10.  Michigan and OSU are in the same division...so they'll play each other, and only one of em can make the conference title game.

OK, so TCU came back...I left this hanging.  Oops. :)  But again, I think they need help, beyond winning out.

Elsewhere, Colorado returned to title form, getting chewed up by the Beavers 42-9.

2 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

Damn, Florida. Nobody expected you to win, but could you at least put in an effort?

Damn.

I dunno, looks like they had a good 10 minute stretch or so, in the 3rd.
No effort looks to be OK State against K-State.

Hey, what's this?  NMSU managed another win!  Granted...it's UMass.  They've been pretty poor...and sat out the last 2 years altogether, so this season, they're more or less in the middle of a restart for the whole program.  

Weber State (#7 in FCS) earned a Top 10 win over Montana (#10) yesterday to move to 6-1 on the season. They have games remaining at home against Sacramento State (currently 8-0 and ranked #3 in FCS) and Idaho State (currently 1-7), and then close out the season at Northern Arizona (currently 3-5). Win out, and the Wildcats almost certainly earn a first round bye in the FCS playoffs.

Holy cow.......we don't see the start of things, but I'm not sure it matters here.  

And that, apparently was not the only incident;  it's reported there was another, and that 1 player...dunno if it's this one, or the other...may have a broken nose.

Yeah, criminal charges are warranted.  There are at least a couple MSU players who stand out in the vid;  they should be suspended immediately.  Not dismissed from the team *yet*, but suspended.

EDIT:  now Monday morning.  MSU suspended 4 players from the team last night.

EDIT 2:  Tuesday.  One of the Michigan players has a concussion.  I suspect that would make the crime felony assault.  At least one player's family has retained an attorney.  Jim Harbaugh's demanding criminal charges.  The MSU player suspensions are until the criminal, program, and conference investigations are complete...and that will likely be awhile, with significant civil and criminal proceedings clearly on the table.

4 minutes ago, Starlord said:

How the hell is Clemson ranked 4th?  Is the committee actually watching these games?  I'm not convinced they are even top 10.

Reputation.  As always, it's the hidden element.

Elsewhere, the fallout from the Michigan State incident continues;  they've suspended 4 more players.

BYU's football season is in dire straits. They sit at 4-5 and need to win two of their final three games for bowl eligibility. Those three games:

• Nov. 5th at Boise State
  • Nov. 19th vs Utah Tech (an FCS school formerly known as DII Dixie State)
  • Nov.  26th at Stanford

Boise State is gonna be tough. They had as slow a start to the season as BYU had a fast start, and the two teams have been trending in opposite directs for the last month. BYU needs another effort like they had against Baylor if they're gonna pull out a win on the unsightly blue turf. Plus, this is the last game between the two for the foreseeable future. Boise will be hyped to close out the series with a win.

Utah Tech should be a gimme. They're currently 2-6 with one FCS win.

So it'll probably come down to the Stanford game. Stanford is not a good team, their overachieving win against Notre Dame notwithstanding. But BYU is not a particularly good team right now either. BYU has traditionally played pretty well against the PAC—5-0 last season—but not against Oregon or Washington. So there's hope against the Cardinal.

But an impressive showing in Boise would change to direction of the season for the better.

Meanwhile, the Big Ten is having a weird year.  Maryland has locked in a bowl game, and Rutgers isn't the worst team in the east division, somehow.  In the west, Illinois is the best team, and Purdue has a decent shot at number 2.  I'm disappointed, though not surprised, at the Badgers having a bad year.  I'm not going to pretend I could do a better job at play calling than Paul Chryst, but even I have to wonder what he's been doing the last 4 years.  In any case, I'm just hoping they can win at least 2 more games out of the next 4, so that they can keep their streak of bowl game appearances.  They've got the 3rd longest active streak, behind Georgia and Oklahoma.

If you want to diss Clemson...what about Michigan?

Non-conference, they've played 3 dread noughts...CSU, UConn, and Hawai'i.  CSU and Hawai'i are 4th and 5th in the CBS bottom 25;  UConn just drifted out of it this week, after being one of the consistent members for several years.  They're listed as 30th.  Granted, Clemson is 36th.

We've got one of the major showdowns this weekend...Tennessee-Georgia.  If Tennessee wins, then runs the rest of the table until the SEC title game (Missouri, South Carolina, Vandy, all under .500 in conference)...they can probably lose to Alabama in the title game and still get in.  If Georgia wins, they have Miss St, Kentucky, and Georgia Tech.  They'd probably get in, even if they lost to Bama in the title game...but it's somewhat more tenuous.  Michigan-Ohio State is Thanksgiving weekend, so there won't be time to recover from a stumble.  Michigan probably needs to pick up some style points and smack Rutgers and Nebraska *hard*.  Should be entirely feasible, tho.

Clemson's got the soft road...again.  In what may well be a first for me:  I'm rooting for Notre Dame.