MLB 2023

unclevlad

20 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Of course you do.  No card-carrying fan of any Denver sports team can do anything but LOATHE the LA teams.  It's in your blood.  

The fact that my ex was from the San Fernando valley has nothing to do with it, of course.

But much of my personal loathing is for teams from other places, too. The Lakers as well as the Dodgers, naturally. The Raiders, wherever they happen to be playing this decade. And although the Golden Knights are a recent annoyance, they'll never inspire the visceral revulsion caused by the Red Wings. 

YMMV, certainly.

a)  In deference to the sensibilities of certain occasional contributors here, I will not discuss the outcome of the 2nd game of the evening.

b)  My, my, Braves have backs to the wall.  Phillies pitching shutting them down, big time, to take a 2-1 series lead.  Braves have their 2 top starters for the next 2 games.

c)  It's rare that solo homers beat you...but.......

3nd inning for the D'backs.  Preface it by noting that Lance Lynn has given up 44 homers in 183 innings this season.

Perdomo leads off, homers.  Only his 6th of the year.

Carroll grounds out.

Marte homers.

Pham grounds out.

Walker, their best power hitter...homers.

Moreno first hits one down the right field line...called a homer, but overturned on appeal.  NEXT PITCH....blasts a homer to center.

Lynn's out, meaning the 3 Dodger starters throw less than 5 innings...through 3 games...combined.  And that the D'backs have opened the scoring with big crooked numbers in all 3 games.  Ron Darling just pointed out...in the first 3 innings of the 3 games, the combined score is 16-0, D'backs.

It's not over, I've certainly seen the D'backs bullpen blow up...but they've been on a roll.  

Funny thing is...the D'backs were struggling at the end of the season.  They lost their last 4...3 to Houston, but still...tough finish.

EDIT:  Bob Costas drops that the 4 HRs in an inning was a first in the post season.

I'm dumbfounded.

Dodgers only threaten seriously in 1 inning...get 2 runs.  But that's it.  The 4 solo shots are all the D'backs get...but it's all they need.

D'backs SWEEP the Dodgers...even more amazing, they completely *shut down* the Dodger offense.  2 runs in each game........that's it.

Where's my time machine?  I wanna go back and place a bet on the sweep.  I coulda got NICE odds.

And that finishes it.

Unreal.

Not so much the Phillies winning, but the Braves simply do not hit...with the exception of game 2, to a degree.  Total offensive shutdown.  

The symbol for this series?  Top 7th, first 2 Braves make outs.  Next 3 walk...bases loaded.  For Acuna.  He hits the ball good...but it's chased down on the warning track in left-center.

Rangers shut Astros down, 2-0.

Story in the Athletic today was interesting.  Baseball's biggest problem hasn't been addressed yet.  Yes, the games are quicker, but there's still a severe paucity of action, because now...there are more strikeouts per game, than hits per game.  They've been drawing closer for some time;  the inflection point is recent but it's there.  Tonight's game was another example.  11 hits combined...15 strikeouts combined.  And that's actually a moderate # of strikeouts overall.

League-wide batting average has varied only slightly over the last 4 seasons, and was actually a touch higher....but the strikeout rate was higher than '22, and only 0.07 below 21 and 20.  19 had the record...BUT...remember that the special runner on 2nd was introduced in 2020.  In 2019, according to Baseball Reference, the average game had 76.8 plate appearances.  In 2020 and 2021, this dropped to 74 and 74.8...but we have to toss these out, I believe, because double headers were 7 inning games.  In 22, it was 74.9;  in '23, it was 75.7.  The number of extra inning games isn't materially different.  And while 1 plate appearance isn't a big deal...if 20% of all outs are strikeouts (and that's low), then that accounts on its own for the 0.2 strikeouts per game.  

I think this may be a significant factor in the serious inconsistency we saw all year...from almost every team.  Dodgers had a bad stretch, when Arizona took over 1st for a bit.  Phillies started something like 26-31.  Cubs blew a playoff berth.

The Athletic's article offered up the point that every team throws a platoon of relievers...the average number of pitchers used per team, per game is well over 4...and they're mostly burners.  Note that this may account for some of the bullpen inconsistency, due to overwork...they're throwing more innings, and throwing too hard in those innings.  The article suggested...hey, maybe...limit the number of pitchers to 11?  The roster rules were changed a couple years ago;  I believe the max now is 13.  That won't happen, IMO, ever...the owners will never go for it, given the frequency of arm injuries.  There's no way they want to endorse a move that'll increase the workload of their high-dollar pitchers.  Also, it's the flip side of the shift rule.  Part of the reason for banning the shift is that it's effectively impossible to re-train the hitters to go the other way;  it's too ingrained.  That's true with pitchers...throw hard, harder, hardest, limited pitch counts, all that stuff also has become institutionalized.

hoo....boy.

ALCS may be over already. 

Game 2.  Rangers drop 4 on the Astros' heads in the first.  Sliding forward...it's 5-2 Texas, bottom of the 5th.  Astros load the bases with none out.

Strike out.

Strike out.

Ground out.

Astros' only runs are on solo HRs...after getting shut out yesterday.  

They *really* could've used at least 1 hit to drive in a couple, to break the ice properly.  Any momentum from those solo HRs died.

EDIT:  Astros get 2 more....but that's it.  5-4 Texas.  Noose around their neck gets substantially tighter...losing the first 2 is bad enough...but the first 2 *at home* is that much worse.

Their hope is they were a better road team and they still haven't gotten into the Texas bullpen, really. but yeah, not good, especially as this was Valdez starting and he really was their ace until they got Verlander back. but that 1st, seeing eye single, bloop single, error by Valdez for first run and men on 1st and 3rd, hard single for run, all on 10 pitches, strikeout ( on a very bad call - tipped 3rd strike ball that hit dirt but ump called out), then another single before another out.

and that bases loaded 5th for Houston, those were batters 9, 1 (Altuve) and 2 (Bregman)

Edited by slikmar

NOT SO FAST!!!!!!

In a *serious* pitching duel, D'backs walk off with a 2-1 win.  Marte's bases loaded single with 1 out seals it.

And a notable game for the rules changes.  With Kimbrel pitching, Gurriel takes the count deep and forces a walk.  Kimbrel is *terrible* in holding runners.  AWFUL.  Gurriel steals 2nd;  the throw bounced but he was on the bag before it bounced...2 feet in front of the bag.  Left handed hitter Pavin Smith slaps one up the middle, but to the first base side enough...Gurriel was gonna make 3rd no matter what, but the defense was playing a bit more tilted to first.  Long run, slide...no play at first.  1st and 3rd, none out.  Smith then steals 2nd with no play.  

Gabe Rivera slaps a ball to Turner at short, playing in.  He makes the *forced* play to the plate.  Smith botches the situation;  he goes *back* to 2nd.  WRONG.  Turner MUST go home or the game's over.  Perdomo works another walk, setting up Marte with the bases loaded.

WHACK!

Still a series.  D'backs didn't hit great...but their pitching locked Philly down.  1 run on only 3 hits.  And this was the kid, Pfaadt...5 2/3 innings, 2 hits, no walks, no runs, only faced 1 over the minimum.  Pulled so Schwarber wouldn't get a 3rd AB against him.  Hey, it worked.  I'm kinda thinking the D'backs may win one of the next two with offense, but I'm still leaning to Phillies in 6.  But it's no lock.  The D'backs are *pesky*.

And even led off the 9th getting the first 2 on, but couldn't punch it in.

Yeah, that was a big time gut punch...but not a surprise.  LeClerc isn't a closer.  57 appearances, only 9 save opportunities...and only 4 saves.  That's the *critical* flaw with the Rangers...their bullpen generally, and end of game specifically.  27th in saves, with only 30...the Rockies had more.  Fewer?  Royals, White Sox, and A's.......the other 3 teams with 100+ losses.  Lowest save percentage in *all* baseball...slightly lower than Colorado.  It looked like;  I was just eyeballing it but that looked right.

Will Smith's their most common closer, but he was ineffective in game 3 (3 batters, one out, allowed a walk and 2 run single) and game 4....1.1 innings but a 2 run dinger.  So he was also likely just not available in any case, after 2 straight days of work.  But that's the Texas problem.  It also means the game today was even more significant, because tomorrow is the travel day.

Wow.  

The LCS is turning into Sheer Insanity.  

D'backs walk off last night in the 9th.

Astros steal the lead in the top of the 9th.

Now the D'backs push 3 runs home against Kimbrel...which would mean 2 losses in a row for him to take a 1 run lead going into the 9th.  Sewald gets the first 2 out...then Schwarber rakes a double into the corner.  But Sewald strikes out Turner to end it.

Series tied 2-2!  

Eww...ugly play in the top of the first.  Phillies have 1st and 3rd, 2 out, fake a double steal.  Moreno throws to Marte, Harper breaks from 3rd, Marte tries to get him instead.  The throw's up the 3rd base line and short-hops the catcher, forcing him to dive to stop it.  It also takes him right into Harper's path.  

POW.

Nothing Harper could do.

Moreno stays in, but whether this'll last remains to be seen.  In the Dodger game, he took a follow-through *squarely* on the helmet and was taken out.  That wasn't that long ago, so there's still elevated concussion concerns.

Phillies also jump out to a 2-0 lead.

And the Home Field Curse continues in Texas.  Rangers ice it with 5 in the top of the 9th to blow open a close game.  9-2 Rangers.

Report is, they're still throwing Scherzer as the starter tomorrow.  I get it...and it's possible they really don't have a better choice.  Still...lots of rust there.  Rangers fans have to be particularly nervous.

D'backs-Phillies is the afternoon game, of course.  Phillies are 1.5 on the run line, -184 on the money line.  Nola vs. Kelly...Kelly can be very good, but Nola's probably the more reliable.

Rather a good chance we'll have a very quiet baseball week after this.  World Series starts Friday.

Also saw:  Padres gave the Giants permission to talk to Bob Melvin.  Wouldn't surprise me if he jumps back north...11 years with the A's.  And there's something off with the Padres, which predates Melvin.

Wow.  NOT expected.  D'backs rock Nola, driving him out in the 5th.  Lovullo only lets Kelly go 5....I say only because he only gave up 3 hits, 3 walks, and 1 run...but the bullpen is lockdown again.  5-1 D'backs.  ON TO GAME 7!!!!

And in Houston?

Rangers ambush again.  Knock out the Astros starter, Cristian Javier, in the *1st*...3 runs so far, with 1 out and 2 on.  Scherzer gets a lead before he throws a single pitch.

This could be a CRAZY game.

EDIT:  Scherzer's knocked out in the 3rd, because it is game 7.  Homer and triple.  Montgomery...game 1 and game 5 starter...brought in, strands the runner on 3rd.  4-2 Rangers.  Fun stuff.