4th ed Stretching Charater

Ninja-Bear

Supermage Bestiary has a few auapecta amongst the various elemental, but nothing we havent seen in the examples cited thus far.  However, I would call your attention specifically to  the Mud Elemental on p33, which has a special effect we havent seen yet:

Armor defined as "attacks just sink in."  You can see it in your mind's eye, I am sure.  I liked it a lot, and have used it as an sfx for Desolid, but I never considered it as am actual defense (just "damage avoidance," so to speak).

It reminds of a scene in Fist of the North Star (Oh God, no!  Not the live action one!)  Where one of the heroes attacks a gigantic guard with an enormous belly, and his hand gets stuck inside the fat, where he remains helpless while the guard delivers a mighty blow to his head.

Super-pliable guy could have a similar "damage shield: Entangle," I think.  Haven't run across that, at least not up through 4e (miggt be in the 5w Metamorph book, though; I have yet to read it).  

Oh, and on p36.you will find an actual Plastic Elemental, which seems pretty handy.  Several of the Ooze's tricks, and again, some interesting new SFX.

15 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Supermage Bestiary has a few auapecta amongst the various elemental, but nothing we havent seen in the examples cited thus far.  However, I would call your attention specifically to  the Mud Elemental on p33, which has a special effect we havent seen yet:

Armor defined as "att

It reminds of a scene in Fist of the North Star (Oh God, no!  Not the live action one!)  Where one of the heroes attacks a gigantic guard with an enormous belly, and his hand gets stuck inside the fat, where he remains helpless while the guard delivers a mighty blow to his head.

Sounds like Heart. That is the guys name in the manga. He goes berserk when he sees blood, not just his own, but others also.

I have completed everything Champions through 4e save the Adventurers Club magazine, all of which are relevant to era.

So far, no new suggestions.

I am waffling on whether to begin re-reasing them tomorrow, or akio on over ans start Fantasy HERO from the beginning.

Thoughts?

On 2/27/2024 at 6:48 PM, Duke Bushido said:

Couldn't say.  I sont remember if he had a name in the movie.  He got a few lines, then got machine gun kicked all about the stomachal region, then exploded.

His name wasn't actually said in the animated movie, but those who read the manga and watched the anime television series would definitely know who he is, as each of the heads of Shin's forces were named after card sites. And Heart was the most memberable because his fat was protection against Kenshiro's pressure point killing attacks (if Ken couldn't press the points because of a thick layer of fat, then he couldn't be killed in such a way...he hoped until Ken actually made it happen via his rapidly kicking his chest, causing fat to move out of the way of the points and pushing them after that ..)

But that is a bit off topic.

Edited by Stanley Teriaca

21 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

eh;

It's all good, Steriaca.

I think I might be the only person left interested in the topic, so....

Guess I am off to re-read some AC!

:D

Well, stretching and elongated super beings are actually few and far between. Basically you can count the famous ones on one hand. Plastic Man, Elongated Man, Mister Fantastic, Flatman, Rope Man (Mighty Heroes), Machine Man (elongated arms and legs, but that is it), Extensor (from Masters of the Universe), Maneckaneck (MotU again). Ok...more than one hand, but not really more than two.

I will take your word for it, having heard of....  Maybe three?  I think Elongated Man was on that most recent Flash TV show?

Even I know who Plastic Man is, of course, and the forum has previously taught me who Mr Fantastic is.  (Plastic Man, less flippancy, less irreverence, less Unluck, more brains)

1 hour ago, Duke Bushido said:

I will take your word for it, having heard of....  Maybe three?  I think Elongated Man was on that most recent Flash TV show?

Even I know who Plastic Man is, of course, and the forum has previously taught me who Mr Fantastic is.  (Plastic Man, less flippancy, less irreverence, less Unluck, more brains)

The original idea which Stan Lee was going for Reed Richard's super identity is that when he stretches, it was supposed to be painful for him to do so. But that was soon dropped. (Sue was supposed to be fully invisible 24/7 and had to wear clothing to be visible, Jonny could only flame on for about 20 minutes...the only character to keep his power drawbacks was Ben being transformed all the time).

I remember that in the earliest issues of the comic, when Reed would stretch a limb he seemed to need to physically pull it back to him with his other arm, in order to restore its normal proportions. The powers of the FF were much weaker in the early days: Sue could only turn invisible with no force fields, Ben needed several blows to completely smash through an admittedly very large log, and Johnny's fire could be momentarily doused by a wet mop.

Duke, thank you for bringing up Dean Shomshak's 4E The Supermage Bestiary. It and its predecessor companion book, The Ultimate Supermage, never got the attention that IMHO they deserved because they were only released in PDF, back when that was far less common and desired. A lot of TUS was reprinted in 5E books, but a great many cool characters, concepts, and background info in that book were not, and very little from TSB was ever referred to again. The books are both in the Hero online store, and ridiculously cheap for what you get.

The original idea which Stan Lee was going for Reed Richard's super identity is that when he stretches, it was supposed to be painful for him to do so. But that was soon dropped. (Sue was supposed to be fully invisible 24/7 and had to wear clothing to be visible, Jonny could only flame on for about 20 minutes...the only character to keep his power drawbacks was Ben being transformed all the time).

I really like those concepts on their own but it would have made a pretty miserable Fantastic Four.  It would have been more Doom Patrol (they have a stretcher don't they?  I know Metal Men do).

The powers of the FF were much weaker in the early days: Sue could only turn invisible with no force fields, Ben needed several blows to completely smash through an admittedly very large log, and Johnny's fire could be momentarily doused by a wet mop.

Yeah they were weaker, especially Sue.  Being invisible has its advantages (especially for the original concept of the comic) but its not very useful against guys like the Mole Man.  I cannot actually remember when she got her force field which Byrne so brilliantly used.

Edited by Christopher R Taylor

10 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

they were only released in PDF, back when that was far less common and desired. 

Yep.

They were something of a "lucky find" for me.  I had a couple of the "hero plus" books on disk (You were right: it wasnt a desirable format then, and frankly, it is still my own least-preferred format.  Essentially an e-book is, to me, staring into a lightbulb for recreational reasons.....  Ugh.

Several od my hero-plus title were bought on diskette, way back when, amd painstakingly copies forward each time disk format changed...

Actually, one of the ones on the web store today was donated by me.   Not a big deal in the days od digital everything and piracy and "sharing" even before the ink on the paper copy is dry, but it felt good knowing that I had continued to presrve it even as the format was abandoned....

Embarrassingly, I dont remember which one it was-  I sent copies of my entire collection, but I remember being thanked for one in partocular that apparently Jason had been unable to track down elsewhere.

But enough digression.  I have more reading to do!

And,yes:  I concur.  Superman Beastiary was an,excellent bit of work!