Victorian Hero released

specks

I’m really enjoying Victorian Hero. I’ve started working on a campaign for a team of Heroic investigators in London. There's just too much good source material not to start in London.

But …

I’m using the electronic version and I feel like I’m missing out, not being able to see the beautiful two-page illustrations.
Is there a format I can use on an iPad that let’s me see two pages side by side?

• 2 weeks later...

My call would be that for the stalwart heroines of Victorian Hero, they aren't in any way discommoded.  Actually Corsets weren't nearly as restrictive or extreme as their reputation, but they would act as a restriction for bending over or to the sides in the real world.  But then, the real world doesn't have any Phlogiston or Spring-Heel Jack

10 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

My call would be that for the stalwart heroines of Victorian Hero, they aren't in any way discommoded.  Actually Corsets weren't nearly as restrictive or extreme as their reputation, but they would act as a restriction for bending over or to the sides in the real world.  But then, the real world doesn't have any Phlogiston or Spring-Heel Jack

True. The worse would be a Physical Complication: Tight Laced (requires a STR roll to bend down if needed, a CON roll to avoid being winded if moving at a run), and is not needed or recommended for players to take.

As for wearing a hobble dress/skirt, can't run when wearing one (at least the ones without leg slits), and can't kick unless making a DEX roll...but that is it. And I'm sure a woman of adventure will not be beyond taking a knife to her skirt if needed.

Armor and Concealment

Corsets made of whale bone (actually baleen) would provide resistant defenses. Maybe similar to the Armored Undershirt on page 133.

And skirts made of layers of stiffened wool or starched cotton might be similar to leather armor.

According to the Victoria and Albert Museum, there was a movement toward more practical and comfortable women’s clothing. Even “divided skirts”, essentially trousers, were available.

It would also be easy to hide items in a large skirt, bustle, or petticoat. And it’s pretty easy to go to a CosPlay convention and find a woman wearing a corset with a concealed knife or other item.

Victoria and Albert Museum - Victorian Underwear

https://www.vam.ac.uk/articles/corsets-crinolines-and-bustles-fashionable-victorian-underwear

Yeah I'd probably give a corset 1-3 rPD, probably 2-4 rED.  They won't stop an axe, but they will blunt or drive way a knife.  Women's clothing had lots of layers and folds and room so you could conceal quite a bit under it.  Because of all the straps and garters and other devices, there's plenty of opportunities to put a small pistol or two hidden away and definitely knives.  In many ways, women had a distinct advantage as an adventurer: bad guys will hesitate to harm one, they're protected by society so they can get away with crying for help then running away as their accosters are dealt with by others, they have better opportunities to hide things away, and are unlikely to be searched, and if they seem like a lady can go nearly anywhere with men going out of their way to assist.

On the other hand, socially they were very restricted: they often weren't allowed to drive when cars came around, they couldn't hold their own bank account or own property, etc.  But of course, if you run a semi-mystical steam punk setting, who's to say that sufferage etc didn't come a few decades earlier?  After all the most powerful person in the world was the Queen of England.

Edited by Christopher R Taylor