Victorian Hero released

specks

4 hours ago, Sketchpad said:

Interested, but was hoping for a preview.

I think with the files in a zip it makes it difficult to do a preview. We can suggest a page here on herogames.com with a preview and a link in descriptions on sites maybe. Somebody on a Hero fan group on Facebook mentioned this to me about Amazon, or maybe it was DriveThruRPG. 

Edited by Khymeria

Couldn't resist for long, especially since I'd seen part of the book when I was a Hero Patreon subscriber. It's looking very good so far, although I have a sneaking suspicion that when the name was changed from Gaslight to Victorian Hero someone might have rather carelessly run a find and replace through the text…

IMG_0838.jpeg.8a1de5ef44036ff267f984f01312af30.jpeg

Its an easy mistake to make.  But when you write tens of thousands of words, you're going to make errors, and people who've never even tried find it easy to pick on that kind of thing.  You know what professional editors say is an acceptable number of typos in a manuscript? About 3 per 10,000 words.  They say that it is basically impossible to have a perfect manuscript unless its decades old and has been gone over constantly.

A book like Victorian Hero has nearly 200,000 words.  It drives me nuts when people nitpick stuff like that.  Think about how many tens of thousands of errors multiple passes of editing caught, not the couple you spotted.

Edited by Christopher R Taylor

45 minutes ago, BigJackBrass said:

There are always mistakes. I used to be a newspaper editor, so I'm very familiar with the concept and responsible for more than a few. This particular introduced error just struck me as amusing, that's all.

But as detective is a subgenre of Victorian Hero and I have the original manuscript, your deduction is correct. If you followed on Patreon and then bought it, I can appreciate that you like the material. Thanks.

Looking over Victorian Hero, looks great, nice layout, tons of info. I especially like the mentions of Carnacki, a very forgotten obscure supernatural detective. I enjoyed the short stories I read of his adventures. There were several ghost detective types but Carnacki was the best. If you liked Western Hero, this is a great companion, they both are set roughly the same time period, but from different perspectives.  I'm still going through it but great first impression and lots of great content so far.

1 minute ago, Stanley Teriaca said:

Any mention of the Penny Dreadfuls as a thing? Where pore innocent maidens with sausage curls hairstyles wait for the train involateringly?

Penny Dreadfuls are definitely presented. Some of the art and lots of the inspiration was from these as a source. I really got into reading them. 

Digital Hero #39 includes a mini-setting, War of the Worlds: Champions, set in the same era as H.G. Wells' novel, the end of the 19th Century. The difference in concept is that the toxic "black smoke" weapon used by the Martians, while lethal to the vast majority of humans, in very rare cases induces super-powers, giving humanity something of an equalizer against the Martian technology. Those powers can include super intelligence, so you also get steampunk vehicles and other weapons.

Edited by Lord Liaden

Got it, it's great. Any chance that there's an export template in the style of those character sheets in the back?

Edit: I use the publishable .RTF export template but I edit out a lot of the superfluous info like costs and adders. Those sheets are clean, I like them a lot.

Edited by C.R.Ryan

10 hours ago, Stanley Teriaca said:

I'm curious about the templates. Im sure Detective is listed, and maybe Cop, but is there Gentleperson Thief? Heir/Heiress? Steam Scientist? Doctor? Monster Slayer?

Some of the the templates are Cowboy, Detective, Inventor, Explorer, Entertainer, Doctor, Scientist, Criminal, Academic, Savage, Reporter, Occult/Psychic, Retired Military, and more. There are talents included for most of them, such as repelling the creatures of the night, knowing a bit of old knowledge to slow the scoundrel, Gadget pools (and a whole bunch of gadgets), psychic abilities that any proper Victorian would love to attend a seance and observe. Most of the talents have something that makes them unattractive to just take on a whim so while of course you can create anything, it encourages good themes to the characters. Yeah, there is a lot of stuff in there for an ocular feast. The layout and print is pretty sweet for setting the mood too.

19 hours ago, C.R.Ryan said:

Got it, it's great. Any chance that there's an export template in the style of those character sheets in the back?

Edit: I use the publishable .RTF export template but I edit out a lot of the superfluous info like costs and adders. Those sheets are clean, I like them a lot.

That is a totally sweet look, and to be honest, I hand in plain documents with a few notes on my thinking of layout. I'm not sure if it is done as an export, but I can ask and see how it was done. Glad you liked the book, it was a lot of fun researching and writing. I will get back to you.