Any ideas for a Pyro writeup?

Dr. MID-Nite

Hey all,

I want to write up Pyro(the comic book version) with 5th Editon stats, but having difficulty. His power is to make existing flame obey his commands forming them into shapes and increasing/decreasing their intensity and so forth. I'm having difficulty trying to create his ability to create flame monsters. They apparantly have substance(one grabbed Wolverine), but they are made of energy. He also needs existing flame, but he carries a flame thrower....so I doubt that qualifies as a limitation. Ideas/Thoughts?

Thanks,

Rob

For the needs flame but has a flamethrower part, one of two things. First, just assign a value, keeping in mind that he has the flamethrower (probably - 1/4). Alternatively, give it the limitation "Must have a fire source" and then buy off that limitation, with OIF Flamethrower.

EX:

12d6 EB - Needs Existing Flame Source (-1)

Cost 30 Points

Buy off "Needs Existing Flame Source" - OIF (-1/2)

Cost 20 Points

Total 50 Points

The powers should have an OIF: Flame/Fire of Opportunity Limitation, as he carries his own fire or can use outside sources if his personal Focus is taken away or destroyed.

As far as the flame monster, does he create it and guide it, or does he create it and leave it to do their own bidding. If he must control it, then the power could be nothing more than a combined power with Telekinesis and a Linked Continuous RKA.

If he can do other things while the flame monster is present then you might want to look at a Summon (you create a write-up for the flame monster) and possibly a Mind Link with it for him to command the creature. That way he can command the creature and still do other things.

Telekinesis, RKA, EB, & FF/Damage shield in a multipower. How they look is irrelivant, just SX that the TK takes the form of a firebird holding Wolverine in its talon. -1/2 limitation, "only when flame present," and take that instead of a focus limitation. Buy the flame thrower as a seperate weapon if you like, but I've never seen him use it as one.

Originally posted by Monolith

The powers should have an OIF: Flame/Fire of Opportunity Limitation, as he carries his own fire or can use outside sources if his personal Focus is taken away or destroyed.

As far as the flame monster, does he create it and guide it, or does he create it and leave it to do their own bidding. If he must control it, then the power could be nothing more than a combined power with Telekinesis and a Linked Continuous RKA.

If he can do other things while the flame monster is present then you might want to look at a Summon (you create a write-up for the flame monster) and possibly a Mind Link with it for him to command the creature. That way he can command the creature and still do other things.

Well....not real sure...I know he can control more than one fire beastie(as he once split a fire demon into two and they both acted individually). The Summon might be the right approach...with the limitations suggested above. He can also create hands of flame and so forth...so I guess these will all be slots in a Multipower. He can also increase/decrease the intensity of flame, but I imagine this is just a Supress/Succor deal.

I'm doing these wrtieups as an experiment. Mutans are my first choice as their powers tend to be focused and easier to do. I've done a 5th Editon version of the Blob who clocked in at around 353 points.

Rob

I recently built Pyro for a Con. Summon was the basis for his flame constructs, but making them amiable was quite costly.

Monolith has enough advice to get you going in the right direction but I've gotta tell you the USPD came in very handy for things like TK vs Flame, Walls of Fire barriers, attacks that set fire to the surroundings, touching off a conflagration etc.

Originally posted by Redmenace

I recently built Pyro for a Con. Summon was the basis for his flame constructs, but making them amiable was quite costly.

Monolith has enough advice to get you going in the right direction but I've gotta tell you the USPD came in very handy for things like TK vs Flame, Walls of Fire barriers, attacks that set fire to the surroundings, touching off a conflagration etc.

Right. And some of the info I did find in the USPD, but I didn't like the energy TK. It didn't seem to reflect the character....and I saw nothing for the flame creatures. The indirect EB in the book doesn't cover it because Pyro's beasties have semi substance and can grab, hit and so forth. Believe me, the USPD is usually the first reference tool I go to, but it doesn't cover EVERYTHING(nor would I expect it to).

Originally posted by Dr. MID-Nite

Right. And some of the info I did find in the USPD, but I didn't like the energy TK. It didn't seem to reflect the character....and I saw nothing for the flame creatures. The indirect EB in the book doesn't cover it because Pyro's beasties have semi substance and can grab, hit and so forth. Believe me, the USPD is usually the first reference tool I go to, but it doesn't cover EVERYTHING(nor would I expect it to).

Okay, I'm sure you know this by now and you can ignore it if so, Summon is the Fred power that best simulates the fire animates Pyro makes, I'd buy it in a amorphous state i.e. with flight only usable for a bird or somesuch, stretching for a fire serpent or octopoid, etc

The abilities that all forms share like a damage shield would be baught normally. Considering just how variable and un-fire like the constructs are maybe just buy a VPP and know your summon rules well.