Things I Stole From . . . another RPG

Vermithrax

This is, as you will see, several questions at once - I don't know if this is ethical, but they all have the same origin, so I hope no body will mind!

I have found a few things in another game system (no names, but it's generic and universal) and I have been trying to translate them into Hero terms - and failed utterly!

Firstly, is there any way of emulating a terminal illness which the character starts with (a bit existential I know!). Obviously this would be a Disadvantage, but what sort (especially if drugs can slow it down, but not necessarily halt it)?

Next; the universally generic game system has a skill called Scrounging, which gives the character the ability to find (potentially) useful items (obviously different to the standard search when a character knows what they're looking for). Presumably this should be a very low powered luck with some limitation so it can only be used for such a purpose (does -1 sound OK?)

And finally, this other RPG has an advantage called Voice which gives the character a nice, clear voice that people respond well to - I intend to reproduce this with a 5 Point (+1 with similar) Skill Level. If, however, I wanted an annoying, unpleasant voice, what would be the best solution - or would Distinctive Feature cover both possibilities?

Re: Things I Stole From . . . another RPG

Originally posted by Vermithrax

Firstly, is there any way of emulating a terminal illness which the character starts with

Next; the universally generic game system has a skill called Scrounging,

And finally, this other RPG has an advantage called Voice

1) If it doesn't really come into play, it's not really a disad. There could be other consequences though: Reckless (I'm about to die, etc...)

2) Survival: Urban is one way I've seen it done.

3) Skill levels, perhaps extra PRE or COM even.

Vermithrax used to be a dragon in one of our champions games. :D

Firstly, is there any way of emulating a terminal illness which the character starts with (a bit existential I know!). Obviously this would be a Disadvantage, but what sort (especially if drugs can slow it down, but not necessarily halt it)?

This would be a Physical Limitation with variables depending on what the disease or lllness is.

Next; the universally generic game system has a skill called Scrounging, which gives the character the ability to find (potentially) useful items (obviously different to the standard search when a character knows what they're looking for). Presumably this should be a very low powered luck with some limitation so it can only be used for such a purpose (does -1 sound OK?)

I would just buy this as Luck, Requires a Concealment Skill Roll.

And finally, this other RPG has an advantage called Voice which gives the character a nice, clear voice that people respond well to - I intend to reproduce this with a 5 Point (+1 with similar) Skill Level. If, however, I wanted an annoying, unpleasant voice, what would be the best solution - or would Distinctive Feature cover both possibilities?

For voice I would use +5 PRE, Incantations to simulate when he is talking he is more impressive. You could also go with just buying the Oratory Skill as well.

For an unpleasant voice I would use Distinctive Feature.

Guest Kolava

Scrounging can be a VPP with the "no control" limitation, meaning the GM decides what is gained each time the character searches.

The 5 point skill level and distinctive features for good and bad voices sound fine.

As for the terminal illness, this sounds like an addiction (there is probably a more general term for this limitation but I don't remember it) The character recieves gradual damage unless they take the substance. This damage comes gradually even if the drugs are taken (at a predetermined or semi-random rate)and, for the final touch, can never be healed!

This is, as you will see, several questions at once - I don't know if this is ethical, but they all have the same origin, so I hope no body will mind!

I have found a few things in another game system (no names, but it's generic and universal) and I have been trying to translate them into Hero terms - and failed utterly!

If his expected lifespan is going to be less than the expected lifetime of the campaign, then it's a physical limitation the value of which depends on exactly how soon he dies. If it's greater, then no limitation. For example, if the character is expected to live 5 years and you expect the game to last 1 year, it's worth nothing (perhaps a vulnerability to aging or entropy attacks).

A combination of Streetwise and Bureaucracy should handle it.

Probably this can be built as a Talent for the positive voice, and as a distinctive feature for the negative.

For voice I would use +5 PRE, Incantations to simulate when he is talking he is more impressive.

I suggested this to my players once, but when do you ever use presence without talking? They thought it wasn't much of a limitation so they just buy the 5 presence straight. For an unpleasant voice, we would probably just do the opposite and sell back 5 presence.

For terminal illness I use physical limitation, with seriousness mostly depending on the day-to-day symptoms rather than the amount of time left to live, unless it's a really short amount of time.

For fairly realistic scrounging, I would make a professional skill and use the description directly out of ... that unnamed universal generic RPG. For super scrounging which can find anything I would use a gadget VPP with appropriate limitations.

Since that was my first posting I was very pleased with the rapid response and the plethora of suggestions - thanks!

(yes it was GURPS but I though that might counted as a rude word here! and Vermithrax is indeed a dragon's name - if you've never seen Dragonslayer do yourself a favour, I don't think even Peter Jackson CGI could compare!)

Originally posted by Snarf

I suggested this to my players once, but when do you ever use presence without talking?

Lots of characters make PRE Attacks without saying a word. They just strike the pose. :)

PRE also involves how other people view you. They might think someone is only average until the start speaking. James Earl Jones has that sort of effect on me, for example.

Originally posted by Monolith

Lots of characters make PRE Attacks without saying a word. They just strike the pose. :)

PRE also involves how other people view you. They might think someone is only average until the start speaking. James Earl Jones has that sort of effect on me, for example.

Funny that you should mention how 'average' James Earl Jones until he speaks when his main alter-ego (Mr Vader) has presence without saying a single word!

Funny that you should mention how 'average' James Earl Jones until he speaks when his main alter-ego (Mr Vader) has presence without saying a single word!

It all comes from the costume. The guy is as scary as a sick baby without it. Don't even get me started on young Anakin...

Since that was my first posting I was very pleased with the rapid response and the plethora of suggestions - thanks!

(yes it was GURPS but I though that might counted as a rude word here!

It seems to be alright to write it down, just as long as you don't say anything about actually liking the game . . . :rolleyes::D

Man I love GURPS and have aboute forty of their books. I also have all the hero books but GURPS rocks it takes simplicaty to the perfect level for players who do not like the "Percieved Dificulty" of HERO (I personaly think the only "Dificult" part of hero is character creation takes so much time but since I have both the hero creater programs and several GURPS character makers.

Unlike WotC's boards there's no backlash here for mentioning other games systems or publishers such as GURPS or Steve Jackson Games. :)

Well, there are more GURPS books than there are Hero books (at least so far) I have about 75 GURPS books (not counting duplicates), and almost all of the 4th Edition Hero books (plus 1st, 2nd, and 3rd edition, for that matter...) plus my FREd & Champions 5th. (Been unemployed lately, so I have some catching up to do on my 5th Edition printed material...) The current edition of GURPS has been on the market longer, so they've had more time to build a library.

Ahem, and the entire name was Vermithrax Pejorative.

Let's be respectful of the old lizard, shall we?

That'd be a cool talent...

"Can hear the background music"

It could act as a modified form of Danger Sense, where the character always knows when danger is near because the music changes. The character would also be privy to other information - like the girl he's making eye contact with likes him because a soulful saxophone starts playing, or thinks he's a dork because of a clowny tune by an oboe or something. Almost a form of empathy, but works with inanimate objects as well.