Golden Age characters

Troll

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a big fan of anything to do with comics history, including the Golden Age. I'm playing in a Golden Age game now. We've played 3 sessions. The characters are:

The Fighting Phantom, ghost of a soldier in the Great War who was killed in action.

Hercules, the Hero of Atlantis

Lady Diamond and her sidekick, Miss Ruby

Lightning Man

The Masked Archer

In our first session we fought Martians (It was Oct 31, 1938). In the second we took on the superstrong Gargoyle, an agent of the mysterious Voice. In the third session we encountered more of the Voice's sinister machinations.

I've been running a golden age campaign for the last year and a half, called "Comet City" (blatant rip-off of Astro City) and have found it immensely fun. Really let's the creative juices flow, without the hangups of having to deal with things like, oh, realism (which really has no place in the comic book universe in my opinion). I mean, if you want realism you can watch Andy Warhol's "Sleep" film right? Zzzzzz...

I haven't adapted any previously published heroes from DC/Timely etc. for two reasons 1) I don't feal confident enough in my KS: Comic Book History, and 2) Half the fun of being a GM is making up original NPCs and Villains. But....I really enjoy and find very useful making blatant rip-offs from the golden age. I like beginning each game with a "voice over intro" and often plagerize these from actual comics. Besides the actual Golden Age comics, I also find inspiration in Astro City, anything by Alan Moore (particularly the Golden Age sequencies from Supreme), Hellboy (particulary all the great scenes with Nazi's), and Mike Allred's work (trans-genre brilliance).

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by The Cometeer

Can I just say that I resent being called an "Incompetent Normal". Sorry, I've been playing HERO for 20 years. Just because I haven't fulfilled my quota of posts here just means I have a life. Sorry, but I feel offended.

Well, you can edit your name.

And trust me, it ain't a quota.

Besides, it helps people keep track of who's new to the boards and who isn't. :)

Originally posted by The Cometeer

Can I just say that I resent being called an "Incompetent Normal". Sorry, I've been playing HERO for 20 years. Just because I haven't fulfilled my quota of posts here just means I have a life. Sorry, but I feel offended.

You do realize you can change this?

I like the idea of a Golden Age game. But how did you go about establishing the right feel and subgenre conventions for your game? Does point total make any difference (200 pts. for GA vs. 350 for modern)? Did you create pulpish PCs then allow them to add powers to the conceptions?

I'd enjoy researching a Golden Age campaign but how to get players into it?

Originally posted by Kevin Scrivner

I like the idea of a Golden Age game. But how did you go about establishing the right feel and subgenre conventions for your game? Does point total make any difference (200 pts. for GA vs. 350 for modern)? Did you create pulpish PCs then allow them to add powers to the conceptions?

I'd enjoy researching a Golden Age campaign but how to get players into it?

Contrary to some of the things published works in Hero suggest, power levels in Golden Age comics vary just as wildly as in later eras from what I've read.

Points can be whatever you want to deal with.

The Golden Age game can be a bit sillier than later ages in many ways but, at the same time, the heroes can legitimately follow examples from the period and run around and KILL the BAD GUY. A lot of people ignore that part of it but it's worth noting that Supes grabbed machine guns and shot Axis soldiers, tore through their fighter planes, and Batman originally carried a gun - and shot people.

Choose what parts of the Golden Age you want to emphasize and have fun. You can even run a Bronze Age version of the Golden Age ala the 70s writings of The Invaders.

My suggestion is to either do some research on the net or look at some of the covers in the old (new?) Overstreet Price Guides to get some idea about what they were up to.