SPD drain and decimals?

GrimJesta

OK, Im looking at the College of Time Magic in the 4th edition FH Companion II. Theres a spell that does a 3d6 Drain against Speed, effectively slowing time around the target.

My question is this: the average character in Fantasy Hero has a 2 or 3 SPD, so is it correct of me to assume that the Drain affects decimals? Like a 3 SPD is a 3.0 for the purposes of this spell, and thus a 7 rolled lowers the target to a 2.3 SPD? Cuz a 3d6 Darin wouldnt even need to be rolled otherwise, but I dont see any ruling in the book, so I want to make sure...

..am I correct?

-=Grim=-

To an extent....at the very least, you're on the right track.

A Drain does not affect a character's SPD until it Drains a full 10 character points worth.

So:

0-9 points = no loss in SPD

10-19 points = -1 SPD

20-29 points = -2 SPD

30-39 points = -3 SPD

and so on....

Originally posted by NuSoardGraphite

Now a use for fractional SPD! Makes it harder to drain and easier to boost via Aid/Succor...

No, it does not. There is no such thing as "fractional SPD" beyond the "discount" that is given to the first point of SPD purchased as a Characteristic.

If you have a character with a 23 DEX and a 3 SPD, it still takes 10 points of effect to either Drain or Aid a point of SPD.

Just to be a pain in the butt....

SPD drain doesnt effect the target until a full 10 points are drained.

IF the return rate on the drain is 5/turn, do a full 10 points have to return before the SPD is recovered?

Ie : IF I am drained 10 character points and lose a SPD, does it return on the next recovery, or the one after?

Originally posted by Outsider

Just to be a pain in the butt....

SPD drain doesnt effect the target until a full 10 points are drained.

IF the return rate on the drain is 5/turn, do a full 10 points have to return before the SPD is recovered?

Ie : IF I am drained 10 character points and lose a SPD, does it return on the next recovery, or the one after?

It returns on the next recovery.

Originally posted by Simon

It returns on the next recovery.

From the FAQ:

"Q: Once a character Drains a full increment of a Characteristic or incremental Power, does the victim have to recover a full increment’s worth of points for that Characteristic or Power to become active again?

A: Yes. The victim gets the “protection†of having to have the full value of the power (or whatever) Drained, so it’s only fair that once it is Drained, he has to get it all back to use it again.

However, in appropriately heroic circumstances (e.g., to save the world, or the like), the GM may wish to give a character some sort of roll or chance to use his power early — maybe at the expense of hurting himself a little or something."

So if I understand correctly, the SPD should return on the second Recovery.

Just to be a devil's advocate I can say in our game we used fractional aid to spd (ie: SPD of 2(.3) only needed 7 pts of aid to get 3 SPD and draining 1 pt of SPD wouldn't affect the SPD 2(.3) character since it just lowered them to 2(.2) but it did affect the 3 SPD character who would drop to 2(.9) This did not bust our game or cause gross abuse but then again we were playing a Super Espionage game that focused more on tactics against hordes of soldiers or security gaurds than on traditional "Super" battles. So I'd encourage you to try the fractional SPD approach but YMMV.