Conan art sneakpeak

Storn

ok, thanks Steve. Thought it might be UK only. Had to go there to get the radio version of the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. Still my favorite version of the guide.

"He's on an intergalactic cruise."

"But you just said he's in his office."

"Right, he's on an intergalactic cruise in his office. He's got a whole other universe in there."

Originally posted by Steve Long

I suspect Paul has enough to do with his own Conan game to fiddle around with a Hero writeup -- and neither he nor I would like to invite copyright infringement lawsuits by publishing one anyway. ;) But if it ever becomes possible, it would probably be a heckuva fun project to tackle.

I'll see, no promises but we might be able to do something a while after the book's been out.

EDIT: Hmm, I seem to be an incompetent normal. Must inflate post count.

Originally posted by Mavnn

This thread here contains the write-up JimOz just mentioned, done by our very own Susano.

I'm not satisfied with that one. All my Conan stories are packed, and I'd like to get the Fantasy Masterworks books and give them a total read through before redoing him (which I intend to do).

Conan (IMO) quickly goes from being a 150-175 point character in his early stories to just scads of points. He's incredibly strong, fast, agile, tough, durable, with sharp senses, and knowns a little bit of dang near everything.

The idea that Conan is a lunk-headed barbarian is utter hogwash as well. He reads and speaks multiple languages and knows (as I've said) a little about a lot of people and places.

He also deserves a lot of "superskills" -- such as Clinging defined as climbing and Combat Luck defined as super dodging (I htink he defines fantasy Combat Luck). And maybe even the "It's Only A Flesh Wound" power from NINJA HERO (he does bounce back awful fast...).

But, as I've said, the rewrite will have to wait for now.

Amazon US definitely doesn't have those books -- you have to get 'em from Amazon UK.

I don't have the ISBN handy, but if you run a search for "Fantasy Masterworks," you can probably pull 'em up. Run that search on Google, and you'll probably find a couple pages that list and show all the books in the series, and IIRC even link to Amazon.UK for you.

These books are available on ebay still shrinkwrapped for very reasonable rates - they are up there all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to give people this heads up:

Recently I found the following in a Barnes & Noble.

"THE COMING OF CONAN THE CIMMERIAN"

"The Original Adventures of the Greatest Sword and Sorcery Hero of All Time!"

It's a DEL REY/Ballantine Book containing the *original* text of 13 Conan stories (in the order they were published), as well as notes, first drafts, maps, and background information. Illustrated by Mark Schultz. The book is around 465 pages, trade paperback-sized, and priced at $14.95!

ISBN: 0-345-46151-7

Inside it is listed as Conan of Cimmera Volume 1.

Naturally, I snapped it up in a flash.

If you're speaking to me, I can do better than that -- I have the two-volume Fantasy Masterworks set containing every one of Howard's Conan stories. It's got all the stuff in "Coming Of Conan v1" and more, I do believe. Fantastic stuff!

Me too, I even bought a copy of the first volume for a cousin. He said the last time he read a book (well half of one) was a couple of years ago. As said I bought it for him and even though I had to twist his arm and buy it for him I heard that he enthusiastically read it. :)

If you haven't yet, you might want to read an interview with the editor/complier of the two volume set: http://www.barbariankeep.com/cnchron.html

The Fantasy Masterworks vol 1 of Conan ISBN: 1-85798-996-1, vol 2: ISBN 1-85798-747-0. (Humble plug for my web site here)

Here is Zenobia. Mother of Conn, wife to be (when pictured) of our soon-to-be royal Cimmerian.

Demure, but determined?

Anyway, thanks for taking a look at these sneak peeks. This will be the last one I will post before publication. I will have done 13 pics in all for the book. I hope you will at least flip through it at your local game store...of course, I REALLY hope you buy it! That way I'll be able to keep doing Conan doodles in the months to come.