Conan art sneakpeak

Storn

I'm working on the Hyborean Gazeteer for Mongoose Games. It is a follow up product to their Conan d20 rpg. Since Paul, my art director at Mongoose, and I are both big Hero fans... we thought we would share with y'all. I had to to do the very difficult job of drawing Conan as king... y'know, old, but not. Civilized, but not. Battered, but not down.

I look forward to some FH conversions down the line when the Conan stuff really gets going.

Btw, has anyone checked out Dark Horses new Conan? Looks awesome from what I've seen from their website.... I go to the comic store about 1 time a month... so I haven't seen it close up.

Looks great. Seems very much in keeping with the look of the Darkhorse books actually.

I've not read the DH Conan yet, but I had the Vol.1 trade paperback in my hands a few weeks ago and now I can kick myself for not buying it because last week it was gone when I went to buy it after all :(

Originally posted by Steve Long

Very nice! Now I'm even more eager for my promised copy of CONAN to arrive in my mailbox. ;)

Alright already, it's not even in the warehouse yet!

For anyone wanting to run Hyboria in Hero, while i'd love to pimp out my own books, Steve's essay on Sword and Sorcery found in Fantasy Hero (as well as several chats to him) was a major inspiration and guiding design for me for Conan.

If you're speaking to me, I can do better than that -- I have the two-volume Fantasy Masterworks set containing every one of Howard's Conan stories. It's got all the stuff in "Coming Of Conan v1" and more, I do believe. Fantastic stuff!

Paul can speak to his sources if he wishes, but I'm pretty sure he has access to the same volumes, and also a big, fat pile of other stuff. ;)

Originally posted by GreyGuardian

Well I hope y'all read the new reissue of the original Robert E. Howard Conan stories that came out December 2003:

Coming of Conan: vol 1

I picked that book up before Christmas and I really enjoyed it. I hope that Del Ray keeps coming out with collections of his stories (or I will have to find one of the many other reprints ;).

Originally posted by Steve Long

So, he's clearly a man of taste and intelligence. ;)

See if you say that when I try breaking things and asking you to fix them.

Del ray is continuing the release of the original Howard stories, pretty much along the same lines as the Fantasy Masterworks books Steve and I have. There's also the Wandering Star collections doing the same thing. Lots of Howard's Conan for people who want it unedited.

Hmm, how many points in FH _would_ Conan be. I'll have to find an afternoon free to work him out at some point (and thus I slip into the 'what would x be in Hero trap like so many others).

I think to do Conan properly, you'd almost have to do multiple versions of him across time, much like the Gary Gygax article on the subject in The Dragon magazine, lo these many moons ago. The young Conan of "The Tower Of The Elephant" isn't as powerful as the more experienced warrior of "Beyond The Black River," and later on there's this whole kingship thing.... ;)

I'd guess, offhand, that young Conan is probably in the 125-150 points range, with more experienced Conans treeing up from there. Since he already starts with pretty major Characteristics and fighting Skills, a lot of his XP get spent on things like Contacts, KSs, and so on. But regardless, I'd love to see your Hero take on him, if you ever have the time. ;)

Ooh Ah - what is the ISBN number of the fantasy masterworks edition? Looks like Amazon US probably doesn't have it... then again I might as well be patient and wait for the other del ray releases. :D

Originally posted by Paul Tucker

See if you say that when I try breaking things and asking you to fix them.

Del ray is continuing the release of the original Howard stories, pretty much along the same lines as the Fantasy Masterworks books Steve and I have. There's also the Wandering Star collections doing the same thing. Lots of Howard's Conan for people who want it unedited.

Hmm, how many points in FH _would_ Conan be. I'll have to find an afternoon free to work him out at some point (and thus I slip into the 'what would x be in Hero trap like so many others).

Amazon US definitely doesn't have those books -- you have to get 'em from Amazon UK.

I don't have the ISBN handy, but if you run a search for "Fantasy Masterworks," you can probably pull 'em up. Run that search on Google, and you'll probably find a couple pages that list and show all the books in the series, and IIRC even link to Amazon.UK for you.

Amazon.com used to have it, I ordered the 2nd one from them when it came out after having to get the 1st one from the UK but looks like the US one doesn't have it anymore.

Those two Fantasy Masterworks books are great.

Don't forget to check your local used book stores (or e-bay) as an alternatives to ordering from the UK and paying the shipping and possibly customs fees).

Steve, any chance of you doing a Digital Hero article on a write-up of your version of Conan -- or making a guest columnist of your friend, since he plays Champions...