An acceptable power build?

Ragdoll

Hi. :) I came up with a design for a character that can generate telekinetic blades. But by rights, the special effects should be very high damage RKA and HKA and or KA's with advantage such as Armour Piercing.

So, this is what I came up with. I was wondering if it was acceptable. Would this be a difficult character in itself to run?

10 Armour: 10 rED; OIF: Energy Cloth/Inserts Costume (-1/2)

80 Multipower: Telekinetic Blade Generation

m-10 RKA: 5D+1; Restrainable (-1/2)

u-5 RKA: 3D-1; AP x's 2 (+1), Restrainable (-1/2)

u-5 RKA: 2D-1; Variable Advantage up to +1 (+2), Restrainable (-1/2)

m-10 HKA: 5D+1, Restrainable (-1/2)

u-5 HKA: 3D-1; AP x's 2 (+1), Restrainable (-1/2).

u-5 HKA: 2D-1; Var. Adv. up to +1 (+2), Restrainable (-1/2).

m-14 HKA: 1D+1; Damage Shield (+3/4), Continuous (+1), 1/2 END (+1/4), Armour Piercing (+1/2).

10 Force Field: 10 PD; 0 END (+1/2), Linked to HKA damage shield (-1/2).

The first slot is simply raw cutting power. The second slot is a fine edged telekinetic blade/saw. The third slot is a weaker cutting ability with the advantage of being able to shift things around. She could set this slot of 0 end and AP x's 1.

The HKA slots are much as the above, just that she can generate them from the hands and keep them spinning around her hands, rather than them spinning out to hit something. The last HKA slot is her surrounding herself in a tight field of telekinetic blades, that can shred or deflect away misc objects (the force field outside the mp that functions agianst physical attacks), and cut anything she touches, holds, or anything that strikes her physically. It's a HKA damage shield, because I think that means she can add her strength to it, yes? I figured it made sense, as she could touch a section of wall lightly, and let the telekinetic blades slice at it, or she could touch the wall, and 'push' against it, lending more force behind the telekinetic blade field?

I know this 'looks' like some kind of 'killing' machine build...but I 'really' think this build is interesting, and could make a good character. But I'm wondering if I am biased? What does the community think? :confused:

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Ragdoll.

Originally posted by freakboy6117

I think because they come from the hands as long as you stop there arms fron getting close you stop the blade so any martial arts move that locks the arms stops the attack.

Which really wouldn't qualify the lim, since most grabs that lock the orgin point for a power would renders the power unusable. Restrainable implies that the power requires more than just moving the arms to attack.

Originally posted by freakboy6117

I think because they come from the hands as long as you stop there arms fron getting close you stop the blade so any martial arts move that locks the arms stops the attack.

Variable advantage up to +1... ranged 1/2, indirect 1/2. What arm lock?

Eeks... they're all HKA+str too, making that first one a 6d6 HKA with only average (10) str. Campaign limits? ;)

Other possibilities for TK blades would be Invisible Power effects and/or HKA NND Does Body (defenses Force Field or TK ability)

My concerns are the Restrainable (maybe more appropriate is Gensures (-1/4) ?) and the high damage.

Since we're talking TK here, I think it would be more appropriate to make them RKA No Range. Remember, 6d6 killing is like 18d6 normal, something a brick can do on a haymaker and no one else can touch, in a "standard" campaign.

In the interest of keeping villains alive past the first post segment-12 recovery, you may wish to both scale back that main attack a bit and also make the attacks normal damage attacks (despite the SFX). 12-14 DC for your strongest attack is probably OK since you're going to have elements of an energy blaster. The variable advantage more than makes up for what you lose in raw power.

Originally posted by Bengal

My concerns are the Restrainable (maybe more appropriate is Gensures (-1/4) ?) and the high damage.

Since we're talking TK here, I think it would be more appropriate to make them RKA No Range. Remember, 6d6 killing is like 18d6 normal, something a brick can do on a haymaker and no one else can touch, in a "standard" campaign.

In the interest of keeping villains alive past the first post segment-12 recovery, you may wish to both scale back that main attack a bit and also make the attacks normal damage attacks (despite the SFX). 12-14 DC for your strongest attack is probably OK since you're going to have elements of an energy blaster. The variable advantage more than makes up for what you lose in raw power.

Hi. :) Thank you for all the answers. Restrainable. There is a story behind this. The blades can be generated from her hands and feet, but she must be able to 'move' her hands and and feet to 'aim' them. I asked about an approapriate limitation in gestures, but wasn't sure since binding her in an entagle or if someone were to grab her and pin her arms and legs, meant she couldn't aim, but could 'still' fire.

Someone suggested restrainable. But it got me to thinking, maybe no limitation is needed, since she'd still be able to use the power and not aiming it is just special effects? :confused:

But, still, I 'really' wanted something that would render her inert powerwise. I figured the KA's need some sort of 'trade' off since they have the capability to be so lethal, and energy blasts don't fit the special effects of this power, as they're sharp blades of telekinetic energy.

So, I started thinking, what if she...had to kind of 'really' move her hands/arms legs/feet to 'generate' the blades before either spinning them into exisitance around her hands, or fireing them at range at a target? Would that be more conducive to gestures?

Also, I 'too' am worried about the damage. I think with the points she has left over, she has 66 points (it's a beginning 350 point character), so I was going to put 33 points in non combat skills, and 33 point in combat skill (some of which will be a martial arts, something like Akido, or Ju-Jitsu maybe).

This is because I like skill heavy characters, and I also want her to be able to help a team without having to shear some poor villian's 'arm' off at the shoulder. :eek:

Originally posted by ChocolateMousje

Variable advantage up to +1... ranged 1/2, indirect 1/2. What arm lock?

Eeks... they're all HKA+str too, making that first one a 6d6 HKA with only average (10) str. Campaign limits?

Other possibilities for TK blades would be Invisible Power effects and/or HKA NND Does Body (defenses Force Field or TK ability)

The variable advantage, I'm thinking is a mistake. While 'I'd' never use things like NND, and Indirect (though it would perfectly legal to), others would, but some of those effects might not be in keeping with how I envisioned the power. Perhaps, I could simply apply 0 END, and AP to those slots? I think that might be better.

I am worried over the damage. The first slot, for example seems 'terribly' excessive to me. The way I envisioned the blades was as sort of 'super' sharp telekinetic blades, so perhaps they should 'all' have AP applied to them in some form. I 'also' came up with some 'neat' ideas for non standard power uses, others then for straight forward attacks.

Like, generating a wider blade, and slicing into an object carving a tunnel through a wall or other object. (Tunneling up to a certian DEF, with a low movement score maybe just 1" phase, and can't fill in the tunnel?).

A second power I thought about would be generating a standard ranged or hand to hand blade of telekinesis, hitting the target with it at range or in hand to hand, and having it sort of 'shatter' into hundreds of 'tinnier' blades that would buzz around the effected character in a sort of 'field' doing damage to him continously. She'd have to concentrate to keep the power going, and it would cost end.

A third power, would be a more 'directed' control of a telekinetic blade. She generates a ranged blade as usual, but this one 'stays' in exisitance, and can 'follow' a target trying to hit it 'again' and 'again' even if it should miss the first time. It costs end to keep it active, and if she is knocked out it winks out. But I thought it might be a nasty surprise for some villian she throws it at if they were to dodge it thinking it missed only to have it swing back around and hit them from behind the very next phase she has as an attack.

Though, admitedly, I'm unsure how to do this. Would anyone care to offer suggestions about this one? :confused:

I'll try and go back, and see how I can 'lower' the total overall damage the blades do from the 'existing' slots. and, yes, she only has 10 STR, and I didn't see her as going any higher in that, as her concept is more energy blaster than anything. :)

Originally posted by Southern Cross

I don't see any problem with the character except for this - if all the Multipower slots are bought with the Restrainable Limitation, shouldn't the Multipower reserve be bought with the same Limitation?

The entire multipower isn't bought with restrainable, basically because the last slot in the multpower, she doesn't have to use her hands or arms to generate the field, it can spring into being around her. :)

Originally posted by Ragdoll

A third power, would be a more 'directed' control of a telekinetic blade. She generates a ranged blade as usual, but this one 'stays' in exisitance, and can 'follow' a target trying to hit it 'again' and 'again' even if it should miss the first time. It costs end to keep it active, and if she is knocked out it winks out. But I thought it might be a nasty surprise for some villian she throws it at if they were to dodge it thinking it missed only to have it swing back around and hit them from behind the very next phase she has as an attack.

Though, admitedly, I'm unsure how to do this. Would anyone care to offer suggestions about this one? :confused:

Indirect. As long as she can't make anyother attacks, the blade that stays in existence is just a special effect.

Originally posted by Ragdoll

I'll try and go back, and see how I can 'lower' the total overall damage the blades do from the 'existing' slots. and, yes, she only has 10 STR, and I didn't see her as going any higher in that, as her concept is more energy blaster than anything. :)

You know a slot doesn't have to use the full active points of the reserve.