2 weapon fighting

Patriot

Mechanically its just a limited Ambidex and levels to offset the -2 OCV penalty, packaged up for people new to the system or folks that dont like to tinker around to get to an effect.

Its handy for gun-bunnys and angsty drow rangers.

You want to fight two handed but not be ambidexterous otherwise? No problem Drizzt; pay 10 points for TWF. ;)

Also handy for MA hand/foot combos, hand/hand combos. Good for certain maneuvers with certain arts (Jun Fan, Jeet Kun Do, and Wing Chun come to mind) where simultaneous combos are practiced - a grab and a strike, a disarm and a strike, a kick and a throw, a nerve strike and a flash (simultaneous strikes to the throat and eyes - mean stuff!).

Originally posted by TheEmerged

Um, I think it's still a Rapid Strike and therefore 1/2 DCV not -2.

This is correct -- you still suffer the 1/2 DCV penalty of Sweep or Rapid Fire. However, I dimly recall a GMs option to reduce that to -2 DCV if the character also has some other ability, perhaps Rapid Attack.....anyone else recall anything of the sort?

However, I dimly recall a GMs option to reduce that to -2 DCV if the character also has some other ability, perhaps Rapid Attack.....anyone else recall anything of the sort?

WOW that would have a huge effect on my Fantasy world. It would be very cool. But I have never seen anything about it before. Any one else.

Originally posted by Demonsong

WOW that would have a huge effect on my Fantasy world. It would be very cool. But I have never seen anything about it before. Any one else.

A quick book scan of FRED, UMA and Ninja HERO comes up w/ nothing. I dunno, it may be a house rule of someones I read in a board post or something -- sometimes its difficult to remember the source of things. Ill keep looking -- Im pretty sure I saw this somewhere but it looks like it prolly wasnt in an official source.

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

A quick book scan of FRED, UMA and Ninja HERO comes up w/ nothing. I dunno, it may be a house rule of someones I read in a board post or something -- sometimes its difficult to remember the source of things. Ill keep looking -- Im pretty sure I saw this somewhere but it looks like it prolly wasnt in an official source.

I seem to recall Fantasy Hero having a suggestion that 2 weapon fighting was too expensive compared to the alternatives and suggesting some additions for that genre. Maybe that's it?

Found it in the FAQ -- It was just a Steve Long suggestion, nothing official:

Skills FAQ

Q: Why should a character buy Two-Weapon Fighting (10 points) when he can simply buy two 2-point Combat Skill Levels with Sweep, and define the special effect as “fighting with a weapon in each hand�

A: The cost for TWF is calculated based on CSLs to counteract the Sweep penalty, and Ambidexterity to counter the standard Off-Hand Penalty.

If you’re going to use the Sweep maneuver as a standard option in the campaign, the alternate route you suggest works better from a point-accounting standpoint. However, not all campaigns use that Maneuver — it is specifically listed as optional — and for them, the more “traditional†TWF Skill might be appropriate even if characters normally cannot Sweep.

If you still want to use TWF as-is, but encourage people to take it instead of just two CSLs with Sweep, tack some other benefit onto it. For example, maybe if a character has TWF, he only suffers a -2 DCV penalty, instead of 1/2 DCV.

Other options suggested during previous TWC discussions include:

A: Allow characters who purchase TWC to use a Block/Strike combination, which is illegal by the current rules as they stand.

B: Allow characters who purchase TWC to gain the benefit of WF: Offhand for free (included as part of the TWC skill) which is +1 DCV when not using the second weapon to attack.

C: Allow characters with TWC skill to perform two Blocks at no penalty. The third and successive attempts to Block will incur penalties as normal.

Allowing any or all of these options helps make TWC more attractive. Simply purchasing skill levels to Sweep gives no additional benefit beyond allowing more attacks at no penalty. Characters who purchase TWC gain the above advantages, which makes it more useful.

Personaly, I allow for options A and C myself (gotta purchase WF: offhand seperately in my games...Sorry!)

Originally posted by NuSoardGraphite

Other options suggested during previous TWC discussions include:

A: Allow characters who purchase TWC to use a Block/Strike combination, which is illegal by the current rules as they stand.

B: Allow characters who purchase TWC to gain the benefit of WF: Offhand for free (included as part of the TWC skill) which is +1 DCV when not using the second weapon to attack.

C: Allow characters with TWC skill to perform two Blocks at no penalty. The third and successive attempts to Block will incur penalties as normal.

Allowing any or all of these options helps make TWC more attractive. Simply purchasing skill levels to Sweep gives no additional benefit beyond allowing more attacks at no penalty. Characters who purchase TWC gain the above advantages, which makes it more useful.

Personaly, I allow for options A and C myself (gotta purchase WF: offhand seperately in my games...Sorry!)

All solid ideas. Could you provide a link to the thread they originated in?