TOS Star Trek and The Warp Drive

Drakkenkin

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: TOS Star Trek and The Warp Drive

As far as the 911 vs safety/threat thing.

2752 people died in the 911 attacks.

In that year (the ONLY year in modern times to EVER have an attack on the continental US). 2752 died in the US from terrorist attacks.

20,000 died from the flu.

47,000 died in car accidents.

15,000 were murdered by non-terrorists.

15,000 died by falling.

2752 (same magic number) died in various equipment malfunctions.

3200 drowned

14,000 were accidentally poisoned.

30,000 commited suicide (either intentionally, or by simply intending to "hurt" oneself and taking it too far.

So, even if we had a 911 EVERY YEAR. It would almost rival drowning. Yes, even with an ANNUAL 911 attack with equivalent deaths, it would make more sense to ignore terrorism completely and instead put effort towards teaching people how to swim.

Matter of fact, since 1959 we have had more deaths from lighning strikes than from terrorism. We are quite safe.

Are you afraid of getting hit by lighting and dying? Why not, it is more likely than you dying in a terrorist attack.

How about accidental poisoning? It was 5 times more likely in 2001 and 100 times more likely in the long term.

Without derailing the thread here, I would say that all problems like this should have countermeasures taken to reduce their likelihood. Furthermore, many of these events you've pointed out involve a great degree of personal choice. For instance, I'm not that great a swimmer, but I don't want anyone telling me when and where I can swim, unless the place is so dangerous that to do so would be equivalent to suicide. The fact is that I use this freedom and the knowledge of my own limitations more responsibly than those people who end up drowning. The only way, in many cases, to limit drowning deaths is to take away freedom from responsible people, and ironically enough, the people who aren't responsible enough to follow the guidelines put out to protect us are the same people who aren't responsible enough to follow the laws enacted to protect us. One last point, most of these events you've pointed out involve only a small handful of deaths at a time. If there was ever a car accident that involved over 2000 deaths, I'd be in an uproar. The magnitude of that one instance of terrorism demands that it be taken seriously as a threat.

That was my thinking as well. Excalibur didn't blow-up but she was a hulk. I seriously doubt she would have been repaired. Although its possible I suppose.

(No series source, canonical or otherwise).

Appeared to me from watching "The Ultimate Computer" that the Excalibur itself was mostly intact, unfortunately the crew itself was gone.

Point for debate, really, where the damage was and whatnot, but a Constitution-class starship represents a very substantial economic investment, and it'd be far more efficient to tow her to a starbase (which was pretty close, as the wargames area was sited near one) for repair and refit (and, uh, a new crew).

Started out a classic Trek campaign with a revamped Excalibur and had some success with it.

a) Picard would rather surrender than fight.

B) Worf was only allowed to fight enemies who he had NO chance to beat.

c) Troi was so annoying I wanted to gouge out my brain through my eye-sockets.

But Gates McFadden (Dr. Crusher) once said she'd get letters from convicts, asking her to send them pictures of her in lingerie. :winkgrin:

Oh yeah' date=' she was MILF all right, but that wasn't quite enough to keep me interested in that show, though.[/quote']

I guess that you are true to your namesake Captain Obvious!!! :thumbup:

You have stated a blatantly obvious factoid!!!

Although ST:TNG did have it's points of interest from time to time, and a few shining moments of brilliance...personally I feel that it is somewhat inferior to ST:TOS, or even perhaps the animated series.

I do watch ST:TNG on cable from time to time...but not enough to say that I'm a big fan. If I had my choice, I'd prefer to watch ST:TOS.

Ya know...

Wesley Crusher's life must have been hell... Think about it... You're a teenager, and unless you wrangle planet leave you're stuck on the same ship as your Mom... And if you *do* find a girl to fool around with, that'll show up on your medical scans, and who will be looking at or even making those scans...? That's right, your Mom... And if, for some reason you need a little penecillin (if you know what I mean), you have to get it from your Mom...

Are we noticing a trend, here...?

So not only did the the character suck' date='but his life did as well.[/quote']

He wasn't so bad later on, after they made him an acting Ensign... Before, he was always poking his nose into situations, but after that, Picard could point at Wesley and say "Wesley, do something Brilliant." And Wesley would say "Aye, aye", and do something brilliant...

And the captain was cool with it, because that's what he'd ordered Wesley to do...