Typecast as spacemen

Which mean we've no career

So send in the crew

This old washed-up crew

We're better off here

Sorry but I just had to. :D

• 11 months later...

Re: TOS Star Trek and The Warp Drive

Remember that aboard the Enterprise...there are only 7 Crewman' date=' and 423 "red shirts" that will meet a grizzly fate on their first away mission.:mars:[/quote']

Only 2/3 of those guys are red shirts. The other third are other crew members who get killed on board the Enterprise.

Only 2/3 of those guys are red shirts. The other third are other crew members who get killed on board the Enterprise.

Point taken tkdguy, there are those that do get killed aboard the Enterprise.:bmk::eek:

So you do raise a very valid point!!!

You'd have to have a "death wish" to be a RED SHIRT in the original series anyway...at least aboard the Enterprise that is.:angst:

Don't remember which source I read this in, but there was the statement that the TOS Enterprise was the only Constitution-class vessel of the original 12 (Hood, Intrepid, Potempkin, etc.) to return intact. So the red shirts on the Enterprise stood a better chance that those on other Cruisers. Food for thought...

Scotty wore a red shirt....

Yes, but Scotty and Uhura were part of the seven chosen ones. Here are the color codes for the shirts:

Gold: command, helm, navigation

Blue: medical and science

Red: communications, engineering, and security (which is why the guys in red shirts died so often)

Additional note: I think there were 13 Constitution-class ships that went on 5-year missions, rather than 12. And yes, the Enterprise was the only one to return. Some of the others met their fates onscreen.

Eodin, that idea came from FASA's background material iirc. I have trouble with it though. I just can't see the Constitution class starships being so crappy that Kirk was the only captain to bring one back. Besides Chris Pike and Bob April would have done it before him anyway. I look at it as more the fact that Kirk's 5-year mission was truly outstanding simply for all that it accomplished. Certainly the other Connies had done a lot but no where near as much as the Enterprise under James Kirk.

And let's have a big welcome for my old friend MisterBaldy who decided to play thread ressurection and bring this one back from the cold dark night. He has just bought a copy 5ER and is returning to HERO after a 10-year absence. Welcome back, Baldy Boy! :D

I remembered it came from FASA about 20 minutes after I posted. I don't have a big problem with it, because it's not that the ships were built so badly, it's that Kirk's universe is a dangerous universe. The Hood was destroyed/vanished in the interphase of "The Tholian Web"; the Constellation is destroyed in/by "The Doomsday Machine"; the Intrepid is destroyed by the giant space amoeba in "The Immunity Syndrome", the entire crew of the Exeter (except Captain Tracey) die from contamination in "The Omega Glory". And that's just in the first 3 years of the Enterprise's 5-year mission.

And welcome back to HERO, MisterBaldy :)

It was the Defiant that vanished in interphase, Hood was part of Commodore Wesley's Task Force in The Ultimate Computer but came through intact, although Excalibur was destroyed and Lexington severely damaged.

Just setting the record straight. ;)

BTW I love that Q quote on your sig. In three short sentences it sums up why kids in general and Weaselly Crusher in particular don't belong on starships. That part of TNG was an idiotic idea right from the get go.

Hood was part of Commodore Wesley's Task Force in The Ultimate Computer but came through intact' date=' although [i']Excalibur[/i] was destroyed and Lexington severely damaged.

Actually I remember that Excalibur was pretty much wrecked and the entire crew was dead (no life signs detected). Of course if it was shot-up that bad it was most likely scrapped.

It was the Defiant that vanished in interphase' date=' [i']Hood[/i] was part of Commodore Wesley's Task Force in The Ultimate Computer but came through intact, although Excalibur was destroyed and Lexington severely damaged.

Just setting the record straight. ;)

Yep, I guess I played too much FASA Trek in the '80s. The Hood disappeared in interphase in FASA's "Ghost of Conscience" scenario.

BTW I love that Q quote on your sig. In three short sentences it sums up why kids in general and Weaselly Crusher in particular don't belong on starships. That part of TNG was an idiotic idea right from the get go.

By the time of TNG, space was supposed to have been civilized, making it safe for families to travel on Starfleet starships. Therefore a family TV show. Therefore add kids to appeal to a greater audience.

Yeah, I can see putting seamen and their wives and kids on today's Aircraft Carriers...perfectly logical ;)

I can understand the mentality of believing that it's totally safe to bring the family out into space...

Just look at the United States today...we as a people believed that we were totally safe, and there was nothing to worry about...and then there was the events of 9/11!!! The situation changed the perceptions of the American people.

Basically, we (as a people) seem to convince ourselves that nothing bad will ever happen to us...and then we get a "wake up call" :slap:, and we come to our senses...

It's like the old saying goes, "It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye...:tsk:" (but then it's only fun:rolleyes:...the game is gone!!!), but I digress.

Weaselly Crusher, I believe, was an attempt to draw a new "fan base" to the Star Trek universe...and make TNG a show that the family could all huddle around the TV to watch...

I don't really believe that it had the effect that the producers all thought it would...do you?:no:

I lost interest in huddling around to watch it soon after I realized that:

a) Picard would rather surrender than fight.

B) Worf was only allowed to fight enemies who he had NO chance to beat.

c) Troi was so annoying I wanted to gouge out my brain through my eye-sockets.

I really wanted to like it, since it was the only Star Trek on, but I just couldn't. Between TNG and DS9, I've been left with a bad taste in my mouth in re Star Trek, except for the original.

Wesley was brought in, originally to be the "third part" of a composite character along with Piccard and Ryker. They all were supposed to be Horatio Hornblower at different stages in their carreer. No, it did not turn out like that, and Wesley did suffer Will Robinson-itis. Such is television.

As far as the 911 vs safety/threat thing.

2752 people died in the 911 attacks.

In that year (the ONLY year in modern times to EVER have an attack on the continental US). 2752 died in the US from terrorist attacks.

20,000 died from the flu.

47,000 died in car accidents.

15,000 were murdered by non-terrorists.

15,000 died by falling.

2752 (same magic number) died in various equipment malfunctions.

3200 drowned

14,000 were accidentally poisoned.

30,000 commited suicide (either intentionally, or by simply intending to "hurt" oneself and taking it too far.

So, even if we had a 911 EVERY YEAR. It would almost rival drowning. Yes, even with an ANNUAL 911 attack with equivalent deaths, it would make more sense to ignore terrorism completely and instead put effort towards teaching people how to swim.

Matter of fact, since 1959 we have had more deaths from lighning strikes than from terrorism. We are quite safe.

Are you afraid of getting hit by lighting and dying? Why not, it is more likely than you dying in a terrorist attack.

How about accidental poisoning? It was 5 times more likely in 2001 and 100 times more likely in the long term.