The One thing

nexus

I don't know that I have any problems with the system itsself, but the tendancy of a lot of it's fans to stat out *everything* bugs me some.

It's just more detail than I want...I don't want to know how many points or what kind of disadvantages you would apply to make a Ski Mask (or rope, or whatever). If your character puts on a ski mask, no one can see his face.

I have learned to be very clear about what sort of things do or do not need to have character points spent on them during character creation.

Most of the problems I have with little rule details, I simply ignore or change to my liking (like the Damage Shield thing, and the Transfer thing). So I don't really have any major gripes that actually hurt play. What really irritates me, however is the sheer stupidity of one statement:

"No temperature level zero exists."

IMO, that statement should be taken out, shot, chopped into little pieces, buried in the back yard, and never spoken of again. What the $%^% is wrong with having a temperature level zero? If the Vedics could understand the concept of zero at least three thousand years ago, and the Arabs had no trouble with it over 1500 years ago, why did Steve Long think that we, in the 21st century, who have already committed to a game system that requires a lot of arithmetic with positive and negative numbers, can't handle zero? Everyone has a brain fart once in a while. I guess this was Steve's. But then why did he compound the problem in the FAQ?

OK, that's it. But yes, there's one other thing: A few rules that seem to be just plain not-thought-through. Like the +5 points for double the pieces of equipment. If your galactic battle cuiser has a 100-point main cannon and 16 50-point auxilliary cannons for 50+20 (four doublings) = 70 points, why not just buy 16 main cannons for 20 points? 170 points for a main + 16 aux, when you could have 32 main for 125 points?

Some things are just so obvious that you have to wonder why nobody caught them. I wanted there to be a "Why did you make this decision, Steve?" Area, along side the rules questions area, but he doesn't have the time to justify every little thing that someone might ask for. And I understand and appreciate that fact. But, man... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by archer

With just a few points of defense, there's a good chance that the average character won't be Flashed for a full Phase.

Yup. But this requires more Flash Def under 5e than 4e. In 4e, 10 points of flash defense blocked 6 or 7 dice (60 or 70 points) of flash pretty consistently. In 5e, it blocks 6 or 7 dice, but only 30 or 35 points, of Flash pretty effectively. To be immune to 60 or 70 points worth of flash requires 15 - 20 points of flash defense.

With a few (ie 5) points of flash defense, the character will likely be flashed a full phase unless his SPD is quite low. With 10 points, he's still likely to be flashed for at least a brief period of time, although it is possible it won't cover a full phase, especially if his speed is relatively low.

All in all, I think the 5e version is a superior construct. YMMV.

Originally posted by PhilFleischmann

"No temperature level zero exists."

IMO, that statement should be taken out, shot, chopped into little pieces, buried in the back yard, and never spoken of again. What the $%^% is wrong with having a temperature level zero? If the Vedics could understand the concept of zero at least three thousand years ago, and the Arabs had no trouble with it over 1500 years ago, why did Steve Long think that we, in the 21st century, who have already committed to a game system that requires a lot of arithmetic with positive and negative numbers, can't handle zero? Everyone has a brain fart once in a while. I guess this was Steve's. But then why did he compound the problem in the FAQ?

Ditto. Ditto, ditto, ditto. Very ditto. Agree, me too, etc.

RE: Meta Rule 5. In my opinion, it's MR5 that's broken not TK.

RE: "Flash getting weaker". You're welcome to your opinion, Archer, but my experience so far in 5th is the exact opposite. Flash might not be more *powerful* but its use has become more common. This is partially due to the way the Multiple-Power Attack rule allowed you to flash-and-damage -- if you played that way under 4th Edition it wouldn't be a change to you.

What's more, Flash has become a defacto "equalizer" against High-SPD characters. This is mentioned as a flaw by many but I happen to like it.

Additionally, as someone said the new cost structure has effectively doubled the amount of Flash Defense you need to buy. The new cost structure has also made flashes against non-targetting sense more balanced in cost, IMO.

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

There's still the conflict with Meta-Rule #5. If a character wants to do damage at range, even if the special effect is telekinesis, he should be left to buy Energy Blast.

Which is why I buy an EC for my telekinetic. If you bought the EB indirect, would it cost the same amount/ die of damage? I think so.

Do I have the wrong meta-rule #5? I think you mean "if there is a more expensive way, it is probably the right way." There are exceptions to this rule. You can buy pretty darn good auditory images for what it costs to shapechange your voice.

Oh yeah - I think the new shapechange isn't much better than the old one, and I don't consider it an especially useful power to begin with. The ability to look like anyone you want costs as much as the ability to raise the USS Arizona and sink it again.

Reasoning for effects & VPP!!

There'r some problems in explaining the reasoning for effetc to someone.

The simpler example I can find it's a "TK grab" meant to stop an enemy, ata a distance. Obviuosly you will end up using Entangle, but if the player it's new to the system sometimes (s)he gets stuck eith the FX, more so if its a FX named like a power in the book.

the latter it's the VPP, but maybe it's only a problem for me^__^

In my FH campaign the elven people use VPP to biuld their spells (humans can use the other frameworks). And it works out great, almost for the feeling I want, but now I have a newbie player with an elven mage... and the concept has turned out some difficulties:

his PC has two 10-CP VPP, but he doesn't not know the rules enough to create a spell on the fly so there are two outcomes:

1) He doesn't use the character's powers at their full extent, and with two smal VPP you cannot afford it

2) I have to make up the spell for him!

EX: P: I want to flash him

GM: OK it's flash against it's sight?

P: Yes, I can do it with the L&D VPP

GM: OK so it's 2d6 of flash, any limitations?

P: No I'vo to cast it fast and silent

GM: UHMM... maybe I should add in an IPE so it's a 1d6 Flash (sight) IPE (2 senses, in order to let him casting the spell only with the visual effect) AP= 9

P: uhmm the 1d6 it's good, but maybe IPE's to much... let say IPE (1 sense) so I've to make some gestures, but not obviously strange... OK? it sould be 7 AP...

GM: and for the limitations?

P: uhmm maybe incantation?

GM: let me ricapitulate, you makea flash attack of 1d6, the effects are the flash, a blinding light? a pool of darkness in the enemy eyes... OK ok the light, and you wonnna be able to use without any other sign if not a littel lithany by you characters? the usual half action, no RSR?

P: wait a min? RSR?

GM : yeah RSR Require a Skill Roll, L&D magic, right down on your sheet, at 13 if I remember well

P: it would mean a roll at 12 to succeed?

GM: Yeah you got it! so it's back to 5 RP, you can have another one later*

And this happens everytime he has to make up a spell on the fly.

Sure I could mend tis with a spell list, but it is highly out of flavour, moreover he play a apprentice skill magician and so the imperfections in powers its even IC! But it's the loos of playtime it's disturbing.

*In the elven magery system they "remember" the type of spell used for about two hours , after them the allocation free itself. The spell caster so do not hand me out an allocation list, but instead builds the power on the flyup to the amount of RP, if later on he want to change the allocation he can make one of two things:

1) wait fot the time of cancellation

2) Spend 10 minutes or the like in meditation to clean himself. in this latter case thenew spell has to be choosed on the spot.

Only ONE?!

Okay, HERO is the ONLY RPG on the planet as far as I am concerned and it always will be but . . .

I hate the new Shapeshift rules. Good grief, I thought FREd was supposed to make things simpler.

Okay, and I hate the new Regeneration rules, and the new way Astral Project is built, and the new Instant Change, and this whole 'targetting/non-targetting Senses' thing. Oh . . . and I still hate Hero Designer even after having purchased it a couple months ago. That thing better grow on me but it's already been a couple months as I said. [sterling endorsment} Buy it anyway as I am just one of many and you can't please everyone.[/sterling endorsment]