Strange power, help needed

Pseudo Nymh

For the first time since purchasing FReD over a year ago, I'm trying to design a power and I'm stumped on exactly how to do it.

The idea is that the character who possesses this power can't be remembered. People who meet him forget about him the instant he's out of sight, and when he comes back he has to re-explain who he is.

The power would be useful for a spy-type character who could interact freely with the enemy, knowing that they won't remember him, but at the same time would be a drawback, because the people he loves won't remember who he is.

Any wisdom to offer?

Originally posted by Vanderbilt_Grad

Mind Control, 0 End, Persistent, Telepathic, Cumulative with Increased Max, Area Effect, (maybe MegaScale), Always On, No Range, Single Command.

Very Expensive.

Folks with even moderate mental defense will have much better odds of resisting this power. If you want to get them too then add either penetrating or NND.

Assuming you don't much care about getting Mental Defense characters, this can be designed at a relatively low cost. Say:

1d6 Mind Control, 0 End (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Telepathic (+1/4), Cumulative (+1/2?) with Increased Max (+1 1/2; x64 MAX = 192 pts), Area Effect (radius, +1), MegaScale (1" = 10 km; +1/2), Penetrating 2x (+1), IPE (+1 - doubled so targets are not aware of building accumulation); Personal Immunity (+1/4) Always On (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Single Command ("forget all about me" at +20 so target won't remember power used on him; -1)

So that's 5 x 8 = 40 AP / 3 = 13 points.

You'll average 3.5 points per phase (1 point if the target has mental defense), so assuming a target with 30 Ego and mental defense, you need to stay within 10 km of the target for about 80 phases to get 80 points of effect (30 EGO +30 "violent opposition to forgetting" + 20 target will remember actions and believe they're natural = 80). Assuming you have a 3 Speed, that's 5 minutes, 20 seconds of effect required. Don't leave the area TOO quickly! For 2 more points, your area could be 100,000 km.

You may want to take some levels if your GM won't let you automatically "hit" with an area effect mental attack. In that case, may as well make it 100 km radius and make your AE nonselective.

So it's pretty easy to build, and pretty cheap. How likely it is that your GM will allow it - well, that's another issue. But if he's agreed to the effect, he should be prepared to allow the mechanic. If he wants to prevent it working on someone, the target need only buy enough Mental Defense to get the target total to 6, and double harden it. That's 9 points at most, reduced to the extent the character will get base mental defense.

It says in one of the books that false memory is a function of Transform, not Mind Control, and this is "sort of" a false memory.

Out of Sight, Out of Mind - Invisible to Sight, Soound, Mental Senses, has fringe, (probably bright fringe), affects sentient beings only. SFX:: Character cen be seen, but not be identified.

PLUS 6d6 Telepathy, reduced by range, only for conversation.

There's also the persistent AE Mental Illusions to appear as someone familiar.

Or perhaps, Images or Shape Shift linked with a lack of Control Telepathy.

i like the invisibility. Completely removes the need to alter peoples active perception or memories. He's somebody, just not himself... :D

Cost Power END
24 Forgotten: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension Where Character is Unknown), Trigger (Once out of Sight; +1/4), Invisible Power Effects, SFX Only (Fully Invisible; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (55 Active Points); No Conscious Control (Only Effects cannot be controlled; If the character stays in view, he is remembered; -1), no Noncombat movement (-1/4)

You may need a limitation to represent that he cannot change physical location, but that may already be part of XDM as its built above. I'm not sure no non-combat movement is needed, but the idea is that he is still subject to normal movement (this isn't a teleport). Perhaps link: running would be appropriate (although I think that ends up at -1/4 as well). The invis. effects SFX only is to represent that this power does not "visibly" manifest in any way. The character does register as "paranormal", but it isn't clear why.

I hope this helps.

Originally posted by mudpyr8

Cost Power END
24 Forgotten: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension Where Character is Unknown), Trigger (Once out of Sight; +1/4), Invisible Power Effects, SFX Only (Fully Invisible; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (55 Active Points); No Conscious Control (Only Effects cannot be controlled; If the character stays in view, he is remembered; -1), no Noncombat movement (-1/4)

You may need a limitation to represent that he cannot change physical location, but that may already be part of XDM as its built above. I'm not sure no non-combat movement is needed, but the idea is that he is still subject to normal movement (this isn't a teleport). Perhaps link: running would be appropriate (although I think that ends up at -1/4 as well). The invis. effects SFX only is to represent that this power does not "visibly" manifest in any way. The character does register as "paranormal", but it isn't clear why.

I hope this helps.

Heh, ExtraDimensional Travel, the allpurpose base power.

Originally posted by mudpyr8

Cost Power END

I hope this helps.

Or for that same price you could have...

Cost Power END
24 Forgotten: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension Where Character is Invincible and Has Huge Bags of Money and All The Ladies Love Him Hooray!), Trigger (Once out of Sight; +1/4), Invisible Power Effects, SFX Only (Fully Invisible; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (55 Active Points); No Conscious Control (Only Effects cannot be controlled; If the character stays in view, he is remembered; -1), no Noncombat movement (-1/4)

Well, cheesy, but might actually be called for depending on the situation...Change Environment, with HUGE minuses to PER roll for that specific purpose, coupled with plenty of IPE to spare, leaving some particular "weakness" as in any good fictional setting.

(Ducking...yeah, I said already, cheesy, but still, I can see a use)

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by Evilgod

I'm pretty sure there's a Dark Champions villian named Plain Jane that has the exact power you are describing. You should check here out I beklive she's in Underworld Enemies.:)

Actually, it's Mr Nobody.

Plain Jane had a wacked out invisibility power, whereby she was invisisble, but no one noticed her.

Mr Nobody was NOT written up. They suggested area effect mind control or Invisibility to the Memory sense group...