Grimjack Tech levels

KawangaKid

Wanted to figure out all the Science Fiction elements I can lift from the old Grimjack comics...

... and I remembered that there was an issue regarding tech levels. Are there any mechanics that folks use to measure the tech level of an item and how it's affected by lowered tech levels?

"Science works here, Magic works there... Swords work everywhere."

I'm not sure if this is what you are asking about but you can always declare the ATRI (see Terran Empire for discription of ATRI scale) level of the each dimension and the maximun active points of magic it can support.

For instance you might wanted yourn players to have an adventure in Western Horror dimension that was in phase with Cynosure. You might declare this dimension caple of supporting ATRI level 6 equipment and up to 40 points of magic. Players trying to use items of greater than ATRI 6 would be unable to as would players tring to cast spells with more than 40 active points.

If this solution doesn't address your question, please give me a more example of what you were talking about.

• 11 months later...

Re: Grimjack Tech levels

For those of you who ain't aware, Grimjack's back in print. A series of Trade Paperbacks reprinting the old issues and a new series set in the time when Grimjack had (more or less) just left the TransDimensional Police (TDP).

The website for this event can be found here: Grimjack Website

Enjoy!

For those of you who ain't aware, Grimjack's back in print. A series of Trade Paperbacks reprinting the old issues and a new series set in the time when Grimjack had (more or less) just left the TransDimensional Police (TDP).

Enjoy!

Sweet!!!!!!

I've always loved Grimjack, and have often thought about running a Cynosure campaign. Perfect setting for a crossworlds game.

and some have even called it Tanelorn. :D

My solution for Grimjack dimensions:

Superheroic rules, characters purchase their equipment with points.

Characters may take a (-1/2) disad: Subject to Dimensions, on powers and equipment. Powers without this limitation are either lowtec things that work everywhere like swords, or have a portable reality generator built in.

Insist that players rigorously define the speical effects of their powers (Is it magic, gunpowder, electrical. etc)

Make sure that the players understand that part of the Grimjack genre is that their powers and gear will not always work.

The GM makes ad hoc choices on what works where, doing this TO ENHANCE THE STORY, ADVANCE THE PLOT, ETC, not just randomly or at a whim.

Let the players know that they can buy skills like KS: City Dimensions to know what works where (I remember an issue where Gaunt defeated some enemies by fleeing into a area where their guns no longer worked.) and Analyze: Dimension to figure of the effects of the local area.

And overall, not to take character powers away all the time, just often enough to make them remember they got a point break on it. And as I said above, do it for story reasons, to provide challenges, to make the characters think, etc.

Anyway, just my $.02

Grimjack Vol. 1 was just rereleased as a Trade Paper Back.

Offical Grimjack Website

http://www.grimjack.com/

GURPS Cynosure - Tech Levels*****

http://www.themook.net/g_cyn.htm

Grimjack Resources

http://www.acme.com/jef/reviews/grimjack/

Grimjack Universe - International Hero

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/c/cynosure.htm

Grimjack - International Hero

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/j/jgaunt.htm

Grimjack Fan Art - Shhhh!

http://ew2.lysator.liu.se/pic/fanq/s/t/stringfield2/grimjack.jpg

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0406/03/grimjack.jpg

Yo ho ho

QM

Enjoy!

YES!!!

For everyone's consideration:

Susano, you rule! By the way, it seems you'd be a great contributor to the wiki on the Grimjack site links...

COMMENT on the 3 pt. CK: Cynosure - shouldn't it be higher? It seems that City Knowledge has a great deal of usage in the pan-dimensional city, given that it can't be mapped! Also, Grimjack's knowledge of the city has probably come in useful in eluding people in footraces and hoverchases. Then again, it seems that CK Cynosure might count as one of those "superskills".

For all you cross-genre fans, let me just say... Cynosure is the perfect setting for Dark Champions / Fantasy / Science Fiction games... pick it up and read it!

Susano, you rule! By the way, it seems you'd be a great contributor to the wiki on the Grimjack site links...

COMMENT on the 3 pt. CK: Cynosure - shouldn't it be higher? It seems that City Knowledge has a great deal of usage in the pan-dimensional city, given that it can't be mapped! Also, Grimjack's knowledge of the city has probably come in useful in eluding people in footraces and hoverchases. Then again, it seems that CK Cynosure might count as one of those "superskills".

Grimjack is one of those guys who needs a complete revision based on the stuff found in DARK CHAMPIONS.

Grimjack is one of those guys who needs a complete revision based on the stuff found in DARK CHAMPIONS.

Agh! Now I have to buy it! I thought I could get by without it but now... All because of Grimjack! I'll never be able to save up enough money for the wedding at this rate.

Oh wait... I can just ask some of my friends to get it... Never mind.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't read any of the new series, but in the old series the differences in reality always served to advance the plot. The concept of "tech levels" wouldn't really apply because there were places where electronics worked, but explosives didn't, and so on.

So I double the suggestion for tight definitions of special effects, and for superheroic rules, but with normal characteristic maxima.

And remember some characters themselves were different depending on the reality. At least 2 characters (Goddess, and a drunk at the bar whose name I can't recall) were deities in some realities.

Grimjack Tech levels

Since I'm converting Fading Suns to HERO anyway, I'm gonna try to start building all the really neat ideas and uses that they had for technology and magic in the series.

For villains, I'm going to try to build Kalibos and Major Lash... Spook was a great NPC... and I liked lesser known characters like Justice Peece.

I think that SFX-wise, a Cynosure campaign has to define its special effects based on how far up the tech / magic levels they are, and then they become susceptible to drops and spikes in axiom power level... (Aids & Supresses).