Finely Honed Team

Vondy

I was updating and streamlining a team of heroes with FRED (these were characters that started out around 250 points and now weigh in between 550-600 points). They're also a team that has had a lot of role-play time and character developing story arcs.

They have deep personal bonds and act much like a family outside of work, and operate like a finely honed team in the field. I was trying to think of a way to represent that mechanically (its not really necessary as it can be covered in their background write ups, but hey, I feel like tweaking...).

You know, sometimes you have a friend you are so close to that you know what their thinking by the expression on their face or their posture, etc.

I was thinking about a talent:

The Ties That Bind

Mindlink, Related Group (X8)

Intuition Only (-1)

No Mental Awareness (-1/4)

Limited Range (-1/2) (interpersonal distance or LOS for tactical scenarios)

Requires PRE Roll (-1/2)

Or...

Detect: probable thoughts and feelings, analyze, discriminatory, sense.

Small Group of Close Friends (-1)

Limited Range (-1/2)

Thoughts?

Maybe you could give each of them a few CSLs or PSLs with limitations, directed towards their ability to work as a coherent unit. But that almost seems like the easy way out of something that is, at the core, a matter actions, not skills.

I think giving them Teamwork and Tactics, and then playing them in a manner that represents their long experience as a team, would be most appropriate.

Guest Champsguy

Language Skill: Codes and slang

Ever see the movie "Baseketball"? The two main characters hold an entire argument using only the word "Dude".

"Dude..."

"Dude!"

"Dude?"

"Dude."

"....Dude."

They all have teamwork and tactics, and that works great for combat situations, but it doesn't really do much for them in non-combat situations.

My game does see a major brawl every few sessions (keeps everyone limber), but the emphasis is on investigations and role-play scenarios.

Originally posted by Champsguy

Language Skill: Codes and slang

Ever see the movie "Baseketball"? The two main characters hold an entire argument using only the word "Dude".

"Dude..."

"Dude!"

"Dude?"

"Dude."

"....Dude."

Can a language skill include non-verbal communication and cues?

Originally posted by Von D-Man

Sure, why not? Sign Language would be bought as a Language, for example, and that's non-verbal. The writeup of Universal Translator refers in passing to a "language" where sunlight is reflected off of wings.

Obviously, with neither words nor overt gestures with assigned meanings (like sign language), there might be a comon-sense limit to how much information they could convey this way. But as a way to simulate people who can convey general ideas to each other, I think a Language is a slick way to do it. :)

Originally posted by Derek Hiemforth

I think a Language is a slick way to do it. :)

Agreed.

Maybe do both. A language "Team Speak" and the KS.

One for the non-verbal communications etc, and one for the knowledge basis.

"Hmmm, Charlie never eats his french fries one at a time, there must be something wrong with him."

I'd think that realization would be part of the KS, rather than a language.

fortunately, both are pretty cheap.

D

I've found that a few Skill Levels UBO -- maybe with RSR: Teamwork -- work wonderfully for simulating veteran teamwork.

It also works well with Extra Time - Delayed Phase for support-type characters. It gives them a chance to feel they're contributing to the combat, even if they have no combat-worthy attacks. (they're essentially running interference or setting up their teammates for the attack).

Originally posted by Von D-Man

Of course it can. Why do you think message boards have smilies? It's because so much information is transmitted non-verbally during face to face conversations by using tone of voice, body language, and facial expressions. Smilies attempt (poorly) to substitute for that loss of information.

This board features only 11 emoticons. Surely humans have more emotions than these? :cool: