Old School Dungeons and Dragons Question.

KA.

Re: Old School Dungeons and Dragons Question.

About Stabbing more then once to get more EXP. I remembering playing 1st ED game that the amount of EXP you got during a combat was based off of how many HP damage you did. I don't know if this was home brewed or if it was a rule variant, but it may be what the book was talking about.

That comic strip makes me wounder about some of the people in this world.

Re: Roleplaying Is A Tool Of Santa

If you really want to see how AD&D and other roleplaying games are evil then check out this link:

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp

Wow. I totally thought this was a joke for a good eight or ten panels. The line between satire and reality is razor-thin when it comes to organized religion.

Re: Roleplaying Is A Tool Of Santa

Wow. I totally thought this was a joke for a good eight or ten panels. The line between satire and reality is razor-thin when it comes to organized religion.

The funny part to me is that not only has this guy never been in a D&D game, but he's never been to a church either... he seems to reference them from what he's seen of TV Evangelists. "In the name of Jesus, I order you spirits of the occult, begone from Debbie!"

Get Thee Behind Me, Santa!

"In the name of Jesus' date=' I order you spirits of the occult, begone from Debbie!"[/quote']Aw, spirits of the occult are the worst!

Isn't there a denomination that's just, like, constant exorcism and speaking in tongues and miraculous healings and all that? What's it called again?

I did some research just now and couldn't find the name of it, but did stumble upon some fascinating stuff on religioustolerance.org.

Re: Get Thee Behind Me, Santa!

Catholicism ;)
Yeah' date=' I was settin' that up for [i']someone[/i] to spike. May as well be you.

I went to ask a co-worker about the name of whatever this denomination is and ended up in a discussion about the Pledge of Allegiance. So it goes.

Bart: "Dad, what religion are we?"

Homer: "The one with all the well-meaning rules that don't work out in real life. What's it called... y'know... Christianity."

The thing about Chick's comic is that it also makes uneducated comments about Wiccan/Pagan religions (the basis for my state is Debbie's "Harm None" comment). I myself am Wiccan, and I play RPG Games (DND is what I cut my teeth on).

I know about a dozen people of various Pagan faiths (including Wicca) and only 2 (not including myself) Play ANY sort of RPGs, let alone DnD. This Chick guy makes it seem like all of us worship the game and use it as a means of recruitement (which unlike Christianity we do not actively seek to convert, bur rather we allow others to decide if Wicca or any other Pagan path is right for them).

*sigh*

And to think... these are SUPPOSED to be more tolerant times.

IIRC' date=' the introductory adventure in the Basic D&D boxed set (the one with the red cover) featured a female cleric named Aleena. She was magically put asleep by Bargle, the evil overlord of the dungeon. Though, of couse, Bargle was [i']not[/i] her father by any account.

In the red book players manual is a short how-to-play write-up where the Chaotic magic-user Bargle kills the cleric Aleena (with a magic missile). You drag her dead body back to the cleric temple so there's no chance of her being asleep instead of dead.

There is an intro adventure in the front of the red book DM rulebook. Here's a quote, "One special note: the town rulers have offered a reward of 1,000 gp for the capture of Bargle, the renegade magic-user! The death of Aleena, a well-known cleric, was the 'last straw.' They want to stop this danger once and for all, so keep your eyes open!"

Aaron

Chello!

Well, as all Hero players can attest:

3E IS THE TOOL OF SATAN!!!

http://a_company_of_wolves.tripod.com/tract1.html

No, really....

;)

Tony

!!!!DANGER - POP-UPS!!!!!

Cute, except for the overabundance of pop-up ads. Only other comment is: if the writer thinks there's nothing to min/max in third edition, then he or she knows nothing of the game community - the min/max ("optimization") board posts exceed the character role-play board by at least 5 to 1, probably 10 to 1 or more (its been a long time since I went there).

Making fun of the great Gygax like that.... (pretend there's a boggle-eyed smilie here - can't get it to attach and don't know shortcut)