Yeah, baby! (British supers)

Richard Logue

Originally posted by Korvar

I think you can make a character "British" without having the entire character based on stereotypes.

Just as an example, you could imagine a Brick-type character who looks like they're made of tarmac talling themselves "Sidwalk Sam". A British version might go for "Pavement Pete". (You know, those are really awful, awful names)

I see your point though. And I agree with it.

There's been a couple of threads about this already:

Trebuchet's

Need UK superheroes for Her Majesty's Own Champions

and Agent X's Golden Age British Supers?

You'll notice that Big Ben and Britannia just won't go away. A handsome young sex anarchist by the name of Doug McCrae posted some fine ones to Agent X's thread, I thought.

I once created a British "brick" called "John Bull". He was a large ex wrestler with super strength, very tough and 'wrestling" as a martial art. He was based (vaguely) on the traditional image of "John Bull" from the 18th/19th century; a big . slightly overweight looking guy. Imagine a heavier version of the "Johnny Walker" figure from the whisky adds !

Naturally, you can always have a Robin Hood; a gadgeteer/weaponsmaster with lots of nifty arrows.

Here's an idea: Merry men! A duplicating martial artist.

The Hand: Dressed as the perfect Victorian Aristocrat with manners to boot, The Hand is a force manipulator (Think Green Lantern).

Steamstress: A gadgeteer who creates robots/powered armor/etc that runs on steam power, or looks like Steampunk stuff.

Originally posted by Rechan

Naturally, you can always have a Robin Hood; a gadgeteer/weaponsmaster with lots of nifty arrows.

Here's an idea: Merry men! A duplicating martial artist.

The Hand: Dressed as the perfect Victorian Aristocrat with manners to boot, The Hand is a force manipulator (Think Green Lantern).

Steamstress: A gadgeteer who creates robots/powered armor/etc that runs on steam power, or looks like Steampunk stuff.

Mindboggling.

And people wonder why other people get bothered by stereotypes...

"the perfect Victorian Aristocrat"... "A gadgeteer... that runs on steam power"... Just perfect.

Originally posted by assault

Mindboggling.

And people wonder why other people get bothered by stereotypes...

"the perfect Victorian Aristocrat"... "A gadgeteer... that runs on steam power"... Just perfect.

I can't tell if you're upset with my suggestion or if you approve of it?

Considering there are a lot of "stereotypical" characters on this thread. And given I've done my homework (to the point of nearly running a Steampunk game), I would think these are just as British as Arthurian suggestions.

In the Allied Supers thread, I posted a character concept called Colonel Sterling Of The RAF, who flew a sterling-silver-colored Spitfire into battle against the Luftwaffe. There could be a new Colonel Sterling who wears an armored flying suit similiar to Warbird or Bluejay or (most likely) Cyclone. The suit wouldn't be completely silver, but silver-trimmed with whatever color RAF flight suits are predominant. The roundel emblem would appear on the wings and helmet.

This character's not the most original I've come up with--think Highlander crossed with the Wandering Jew legend. One of King Arthur's knights turns against him to side with Modred, but repents his disloyalty as Arthur lies dying. The knight asks how he may make amends, and Arthur bids him to await his return. He's been waiting ever since. While his sense of honor and duty remains strong and "knightly," he's not a stereotypical knight in armor--he's fought against all of England's enemies throughout the centuries (that includes the U.S.) and is not averse to guns and heavy weapons when the situation calls for it.

Hope you can find a use for those.

Originally posted by Rechan

I can't tell if you're upset with my suggestion or if you approve of it?

Considering there are a lot of "stereotypical" characters on this thread. And given I've done my homework (to the point of nearly running a Steampunk game), I would think these are just as British as Arthurian suggestions.

Well, I dislike the Arthurian suggestions too... :)

I'm just amused that "Victorian gentlemen" are still something that people associate with present day Britain.

It's kind of like all US supers being cowboy-themed. OK, some probably are, but all of them?

Well, on the one hand, the "Victorian Gentleman" thing is a fairly common stereotype even in British culture... :)

But on the other, I recall an adventure, supposedly set in London in the 60's that still had pea-soup fogs and horse-drawn carriages as the main form of transport...

Originally posted by assault

Well, I dislike the Arthurian suggestions too... :)

I'm just amused that "Victorian gentlemen" are still something that people associate with present day Britain.

It's kind of like all US supers being cowboy-themed. OK, some probably are, but all of them?

it may not be. Considering I'm a Very big fan of Victorian era and Steampunk, not to mention a lover of English history and plan on going there, I'm just offering some elements of what I like.

It's not just a randomly grabbed stereotype so much as an Archtype for me.

And to me, it's just bringing up England's history as a theme for a super, just like a swashbuckling Musketeer. Sure, it's been Done to Death, but it's still done because it Works. And is fun. :)

Glad I didn't bring up a Fox hunt character. ;)