Yeah, baby! (British supers)

Richard Logue

So I'm putting together a British government super hero group for my campaign world. I'm calling them MI-21.

To that end, I'd like to hear some British super hero ideas. I have a couple already, but I'd like some variety coming from HEROdom Assembled. This is what i have so far...

Lion Rampant, power armored melee guy.

Pip, random powers every day girl.

Friction, speedster guy who can generate lots of heat.

Thanks for your ideas!

Also, should MI-21 allow Australian, (British) Canadian, Indian, etc. heroes into their august body?

Well I was making up my own super team the Order of the shining aegis.

So far we have

Johnny ZERO

Psychic blank/super spy/martial artist who has seen far to many john woo movies

Coldstream ice powered former member of the cold stream guard the soldiers at Buckingham palace with the big hats.

Wrym descendent of a cursed noble family cursed to bind the wyrm so it can never again threaten the county

Dr. Sandrigham Jane Wolsingham Dee AKA Sandra Dee, The physician a descendant of Queen Elizabeth the first’s royal physician, Royal occultist and British sorceress supreme.

Team needs one or two more members but I’m not sure on those yet

Strictly speaking I think any commonwealth citizen could become a member of MI-21 but most of there own countries would be trying to keep them

Spring Healed Jack! He leaps! He tumbles! He spits fire! Seriously - here's your range closing guy/ martial artist

Guy Fawks! He can blow just about anything up! Sadly, no range. He's an energy projector, of sorts.

The Pict! He's like some sort of indestructable raging naked giant smurf in a kilt! Here's your Wolverine type. Short temper, close to indestructible (Woad, you know), high capactiy for violence. Think Slaine. Magic Spear.

Jones the Dragon! Hailing from Wales, his demands for surrender are rarely understood! I'd make him a suit, but he could be some sort of anthropomorphoid dragon.

London Fog! She creeps in on little cat feet! Darkness, teleport, change environment, the usual. If you need something done sneaky, she's your girl.

Cern Man! He's a giant, all right! Anyone have any pants for this guy, 10 Meter waist?

And, the wonda from down unda, Platypus Girl! She's umm... Well, let's face it, Australia is short on good hero references. Reckless Kelly was a hero and all, but he was a crook. But then, I did have Guy Fawks... Soooooooo....

And, the wonda from down unda, Reckless Kelly! She has a suit of body armor that can't be beat, and a dead eye with a handgun. She's the orginal RK's lateral descendant. Whatever - who cares, its an ID, right?

All clearly off the top of my head.

Re: Yeah, baby! (British supers)

Originally posted by Richard Logue

Also, should MI-21 allow Australian, (British) Canadian, Indian, etc. heroes into their august body?

No.

More to the point, Australian, Canadian, Indian, etc. heroes would face difficulties with their own governments if they tried to join.

Of course, if they were to take out British citizenship, things would be different.

From Astro City :

Lion & Unicorn: The two animals on the crest of the house of Windsor (?). The panel showed them at a distance, but they looked like powered armor types.

Off the top of my head:

John Bull: The personification of England akin to DCs Uncle Sam.

Britannia: The female version of John Bull. Perhaps a daughter?

From my own campaigns:

Bulldog: Golden Age British hero based off the Golden Age Atom. Diminutive scrapper.

Three I'm using in my Vegas campaign next week:

Kitbash: A gadgeteer. Kitbash is the UK equivalent of 'jury rig'.

Hawkshaw: A detective.

Basil Donnybrook aka Chancer: A homage/parody to Warren Ellis British heroes. Flying brick who dresses like a Guy Ritchie thug. Chancer is slang for 'tough guy'.

These are the heroes from a Golden Age campaign I played in briefly, set in England.

Silver Swift: Flying martial artist with javelins

Royal Blue: Flying brick female with mystic ties to England

Lionmane: Brick/martial artist, very patriotic

Bengal Tiger: Lionmane's sidekick, kid martial artist with claws

Emerald Lass: Irish girl who controls green flame

Tzigane: Hungarian sorceress who fled to England to help with war effort.

Rhen

I loved The Blue Raja (Hank Azaria) out of Mystery Men (1995). Sure he was really a US citizen, threw forks and didn't have any blue in his original costume, but hey, can't be perfect.

Some ideas of the same calibre:

-The Hooverer (if you don't mind a character that..., well, you know)

-Lift (lots of growth, always says "Going up!" when he grows)

-Torch (carries a big flashlight; HA and change environment)

But seriously...

-The European Robin is the national bird of the United Kingdom... so maybe a flyer from that. Cock robins are particularly bright and flamboyant.

-England's national emblem is the red rose, some possibilities there. Perhaps an alluring seductress..., but beware her thorns.

-A duo named Oxford and Cambridge, they could be twins with similar powers or partners with complimentary abilities. Lots of KS's though.

Dr. Druid- (This name may be copyrighted) A 1000 year old druid trained by Merlin himself

Yeoriol- A pixie/sprite with flight, shrinking, shapechanging, invisibility and illusions powers (your basic faerie)

William and Douglas- Telepathic twins from Oxford

Stonehenge- An earth based brick that awoke from Stonehenge

Some interesting ideas but do not forget:-

Sherlock Holmes.

And in the original Champions III was Revenant IIRC who was elated to Moriarty.

Kingdom of Champions had a Gurkha so other nationalities born in Britain could be used in the fight against the forces of evil. Primarily Indian, Pakistani and West Indian.

We have all sorts of people living in Britain but Canadians, Australians, Europeans and Americans are usually just there for a few years before going home.

Remember that King Arthur is supposed to appear again in England's hour of need. So do the Knights of the Round Table.

England's Patron Saint is St George.

Wales is St David

Scotland is St Andrew

Ireland is St Patrick

I had a character called the British Bulldog and one called Britannia as well.

We also had a guy called Britain's Fist. He was an all round racist and it took a while to get him.

One british character I am EXTRMLY proud of was called Crownguard (It was actualy his last name, technicaly it should be Lord Crownguard)

Essentialy his family has been blessed with powers, or more specificaly the Hereditary Lord has been (so when the current one dies his son will inheret the powers with the title)

He was in some part based on Captain Britain from marvel, a basic brick. When he was in territory controled by the british throne (so embasies, etc...) he aso got a few extras (He got Red END on his str, he got hardened on his def) etc... So while he was more effective in the UK, he was not a wuss outside of it

Originally posted by winterhawk

From Astro City :

Lion & Unicorn: The two animals on the crest of the house of Windsor (?). The panel showed them at a distance, but they looked like powered armor types.

I think Unicorn was either a mutant or a mutate. She had a swept-back white mane of hair and an energy beam shooting out of her forehead.

some more mebers of the shining aegis

tower-raven

were-raven guardian of the tower of london embodied with the spirit of teh building punisher of traitors defender of the nations wealth bulwark at tiem of war. she doesn't fly as all tower ravens have there wings clipped.

BRITTANIA living embodiemnt of the spirit of great britain

each generation a woman is chosen one who represents the virtues thought of as british se geains teh ability to transform into the living avatar of british nation hood.

powers include

brittons never never never shall be slaves.

area effect aid to mental defense useable by others only to british and commonwealth citizens.

Serves but to root thy native oak.

knock back resitance

The dread and envy of them all.

ego attack

Still mor majestic shalt thou rise, More dreadful from each foreign stroke;.

regenration with linked aid to strength

thy generous flame.

damage shield only against grabs and entangles.

With matchless beauty crowned, And manly hearts to guide the fair.

boosted com and pre

Guest Kolava
Originally posted by Corven_Ren

Here's an idea for you guys. Big Ben a brick who has a flash vs sound linked to his punches. Basically when he punches someone and hits a loud BONG goes off.

lol

Don't forget the limitation "Distinctive Features: Bad Teeth" :D

::aborts to dive for cover::

Thoughts:

1. Beware of the stereotype that all supers outside the US have names related to their national origins. Feel free to use the same kind of names you would use for US characters with the same powers.

2. Failing that, rip characters from comics produced in the country in question. See the following pages for all the characters you can eat:

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/

3. Like all developed countries these days, the UK has a swag of immigrants from pretty nearly any country you care to mention. So if you want to use characters from Australia, Canada, India, Panama, Botswana, Albania or the Ukraine - feel free. But this applies to the US too, doesn't it?

4. My favourite British superhero is Zenith, but I don't think I would use him in most games. :)

I might consider playing "a homage to" him if I ever was strapped down and forced to play in an "Iron Age" game.

Originally posted by assault

1. Beware of the stereotype that all supers outside the US have names related to their national origins. Feel free to use the same kind of names you would use for US characters with the same powers.

I think they have to have *something* distinctively British about them, whether it's the name, concept, history or whatever. Otherwise what's the point? As with all 'international heroes' it's better if you do a little research to get something a bit more esoteric, but still distinctively national.

Originally posted by Doug McCrae

I think they have to have *something* distinctively British about them, whether it's the name, concept, history or whatever. Otherwise what's the point? As with all 'international heroes' it's better if you do a little research to get something a bit more esoteric, but still distinctively national.

Accent? Attitude? Slang? Spelling?

I think you can make a character "British" without having the entire character based on stereotypes.

Just as an example, you could imagine a Brick-type character who looks like they're made of tarmac talling themselves "Sidwalk Sam". A British version might go for "Pavement Pete". (You know, those are really awful, awful names)

Have the same kind of superheroes and superhero origins of American superheroes, but try and think of how a British person do that.

I would also second the suggestion of http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/

Originally posted by Korvar

Just as an example, you could imagine a Brick-type character who looks like they're made of tarmac talling themselves "Sidwalk Sam". A British version might go for "Pavement Pete". (You know, those are really awful, awful names)

Or from Scotland, MacAdam!