Telepresence?

McCoy

Was watching Kim Possible the other day. Wade had decided he needed some field exprerence, so had built a remotely operated drone.

Got to wondering how you would do this in Champions, a character like the original Box from Omega Flight before he became just another powered armor character.

Obviously, duplication is the main power, with mind link between the duplicates.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Anyone ever make a character like this?

I think you're all set with Duplication + Mind Link. I'd put a limitation on the duplication: Only one of them can act at a time to reflect the idea that either I'm driving my teleprescence unit (so I can't take actions) or I'm getting a cold one (and my teleprescence unit can't act, because I'm not controlling it).

You might also want to put a limitation on the mind link to make it (potentially) tappable if it's supposed to be a radio link.

Of course, I've never seen any ep of Kim Possible so I don't know how the show actually did their unit.

Many years ago I caught a bad B flick where the villain (I think it was the villain) had a robot he controlled remotely from a VR simulator. What your are describing sounds kinda like that.

I'd definately buy this as Duplication+Mindlink, with a "lockout" Limitation stating that only one character can function at a time.

You might also need a minor Focus Limitaton to reflect the base character needing something like a VR unit to operate the robot. This would only be necessary if the character will ever get ambushed at home though.

Also, buy the Duplicate/Robot with extra BODY (Only To Not Die) or Healing/Regen with Ressurection to simulate the ability to rebuild it should it be destroid (not possible with Duplications normally, when you're dead, you're dead).

Originally posted by Dust Raven

Also, buy the Duplicate/Robot with extra BODY (Only To Not Die) or Healing/Regen with Ressurection to simulate the ability to rebuild it should it be destroid (not possible with Duplications normally, when you're dead, you're dead).

I would give the primary character the healing/resurrection power, to represent doing repairs on the robot. Just put a limit on it to only affect machines. Of course if you wanted a self-repairing robot, the regen option would be perfect for that.

The thing I don't like about using duplication is that both drone and driver always exist. With duplication it is understood that eventually these people recombine. I think I might buy the drone as a follower with a physical disad for both that they cannot function while the other is functioning.

Guest Kolava

You can buy Duplication with cannot recombine, actually.

Anyway, I think a creative use of the "blackout" limitation for clarisentience is called for here, and probably 0 DCV concentration as well if the controller ever gets involved in combat.

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

Sounds like a robot with an AI, or build the "robot" as the primary character and take the actual controller person as a DNPC. There are more disadvantageous circumstances than advantageous in this sort of set up.

Um, no. Pretty much the opposite of what I want. The robot should be remote controled, not AI. Should turn into a statue if the driver logs off or is KO'ed.

Originally posted by Supreme

The thing I don't like about using duplication is that both drone and driver always exist. With duplication it is understood that eventually these people recombine. I think I might buy the drone as a follower with a physical disad for both that they cannot function while the other is functioning.

Humm, while the drone always exist, when it's on it serves as extra eyes and hands for the driver, at a different location. It was the driver's conciousness/perceptions that I was thinking of as being duplicated, and the extra set disappears if the drone is turned off. That was my logic for using duplication.

Originally posted by McCoy

Humm, while the drone always exist, when it's on it serves as extra eyes and hands for the driver, at a different location. It was the driver's conciousness/perceptions that I was thinking of as being duplicated, and the extra set disappears if the drone is turned off. That was my logic for using duplication.

Yeah, I can see that. Still it seems to me that duplication without recombining is what I would call "Follower." You can share the consciousness between the two bodies with the physical lims I mentioned earlier and Mind Link.

Yeah, I can see that. Still it seems to me that duplication without recombining is what I would call "Follower." You can share the consciousness between the two bodies with the physical lims I mentioned earlier and Mind Link.

Only a Follower is an NPC, whereas a Duplicate is run by the player.

Originally posted by McCoy

Um, no. Pretty much the opposite of what I want. The robot should be remote controled, not AI. Should turn into a statue if the driver logs off or is KO'ed.

Then dont make it an AI, make it a simple Computer + Robot with set programs that can be run by the controller, with either a modified Mind Link or other means of communication with the Computer. Its really pretty straightforward to set up.

This character is a full on superhero in his own right, but the basic relationship he has with NOAH-9 and its computer is the same idea --

http://www.killershrike.com/MillennialMen/CharacterFiles/Green%20Knight.HTML

Remote Controlled Aerocycle

http://www.killershrike.com/MillennialMen/CharacterFiles/NOAH-9%20Onboard%20Automated%20Processing%20Apparatus.HTML

I thought followers were run by the player. They do spend points on them, after all.

FREd says "GM determines what tasks a Follower will perform" and even suggests that the GM write the character. I figure it's one reason there's a Cannot Recombine at -0 for Duplication, effectively granting a player two or more characters.

Originally posted by Intrope

I think you're all set with Duplication + Mind Link. I'd put a limitation on the duplication: Only one of them can act at a time to reflect the idea that either I'm driving my teleprescence unit (so I can't take actions) or I'm getting a cold one (and my teleprescence unit can't act, because I'm not controlling it).

You might also want to put a limitation on the mind link to make it (potentially) tappable if it's supposed to be a radio link.

Of course, I've never seen any ep of Kim Possible so I don't know how the show actually did their unit.

How much do you think a limitation on mind link and clairsentience that can be tapped would be worth?

No details given in the show, Wade usually shows up as a face on the communicator, but this episode Kim was grounded and Wade used his drone to back up Ron. Catch the show if you can, it is genuinely funny.

Well then, how would you feel about clairsentience and telekinesis, with the drone as a Sx?

If I follow: You want to have the ability to remote contrl a robotic drone, the main character will not be able to do anything while controling it IF SO: I dislike Duplication for this, I know the book says to use it (LOOK at astral travel, they are actualy very close when you think about it) BUT I prefer using Multiform with a Leave the body limitation. The reason for it is that in essence you only have one body (One that can act anyways)

If both the drone and the character can act simultaniously then it should be duplication

Originally posted by JmOz

If I follow: You want to have the ability to remote contrl a robotic drone, the main character will not be able to do anything while controling it IF SO: I dislike Duplication for this, I know the book says to use it (LOOK at astral travel, they are actualy very close when you think about it) BUT I prefer using Multiform with a Leave the body limitation. The reason for it is that in essence you only have one body (One that can act anyways)

If both the drone and the character can act simultaniously then it should be duplication

There's something to be said for a Multiform approach. Ether approach is a modification to the norm, however. We expect Duplicates bto act at the same time, where this construct doesn't.

However, using Multiform creates the oddball issue that changing shape changes location. As well, it implies the dormant drone can't be moved while the controller is active, since only one form exists at a time.

It also bears noting that the Duplication approach is more expensive, since a "completely different" duplicate is a +1 advantage.

Overall, I think Duplication is the more appropriate mechanic to make this work. The "only one actove at a time" limitation will (all other things being equal) bring the cost in line with Multiform. +1 for "different forms" and -1 for "only one acts at a time".

Originally posted by JmOz

A Multiform wouldn't work too well, unless you buy a Power to simulate teleporting back to your real body if the other form is shut down, and figure out a way to keep a dormant robot somewhere that can be tampered with while you're not looking.

Duplication would so this. Yes, it sounds more like a follower, but with Duplication the player has complete control of the robots actions. It would simply be Cannot Recombine, and Only one Duplicate active at a time. (I don't know what the value of the second Limitation would be, or if it should simply be a Physical Limitation on each character.)