Introduction

Hello folks! I am new here, and haven't even lurked yet.

I haven't role-played in a few years, but my son is showing interest so I plan on running something soon. I still buy RPGs from time to time, one of which is HERO, because I want something that will cover multiple genres. Between Fantasy, Chamopions, and Star I should be all set.

Anyhoo, here I am. See y'all around.

Re: Introduction

Welcome. As a long-time gamer, but a relatively recent Board poster, I'm happy to advise that this is a very friendly group (even if they sometimes may respond with a bit of sarcasm). I've never seen any question go by without some helpful responses.

As a father, I'm jealous - my little guy is two, so it will be a while before I'm in your fortunate position. {He sure likes playing with the dice, so I have high hopes...

Welcome. As a long-time gamer, but a relatively recent Board poster, I'm happy to advise that this is a very friendly group (even if they sometimes may respond with a bit of sarcasm). I've never seen any question go by without some helpful responses.

As a father, I'm jealous - my little guy is two, so it will be a while before I'm in your fortunate position. {He sure likes playing with the dice, so I have high hopes...

Thanks guys!

I'm no stranger to web forums, so I have a good idea what to expect! I'm often a bit of a smartass myself! :sneaky:

And, yeah - start em young! My son can now kick my butt in quake and stuff, but in strategy games I still show him that old and slow aint all bad. But I think a bit of RPGin will be a good family event.

Thanks guys!

I'm no stranger to web forums, so I have a good idea what to expect! I'm often a bit of a smartass myself! :sneaky:

And, yeah - start em young! My son can now kick my butt in quake and stuff, but in strategy games I still show him that old and slow aint all bad. But I think a bit of RPGin will be a good family event.

Actually, we're a pretty nice bunch here. I've been involved in some fairly heated discussions, and I'm certainly among the "taxct challenged" :whistle:, but I can't ever recall seeing a real flame on the game-related boards.

Family gaming... well, my wife, my brother and I all game, as does my son's godfather, and a family friend with a child about a year older, so I'm hopeful.

Thanks guys!

You might find things a bit different here. In a good way. We have our moments, but I've been postinng here (and on the previous boards) for about 5 years and I've yet to see a real flame war (a few come close, but they're almost all in the Non-Game Discussion board).

Absolutely! My son is 8 (as of April 1st, he's my best practical joke ;)), and he already has a Champions character (concept) that he wrote himself. Celery is a mentalist with TK and the ability to see through walls.

Just a recap:

I like this place! I have been lurking throughout the forums (more than lurking in NGD) here to learn about the game and read the answers to others' questions, and am gaining a lot of info. I'm gonna run fantasy first to get back into the swing of things; I'm just waiting for a couple books to arrive.

Well, back to Drifting . . .

Fantasy NO, go full bloodied into the system, be a HERO ( its simplier ) and more fun.

I guarantee, or your money back.

(Ignore me most good hero people do)

I plan on doing Champions - but not yet. I haven't played in years, and the bulk of my GMing was with fantasy, so it's a comfortable way to get back in the saddle.

I plan on doing Champions - but not yet. I haven't played in years' date=' and the bulk of my GMing was with fantasy, so it's a comfortable way to get back in the saddle.[/quote']

Nothing wrong with Fantasy. As far as I'm concerned, it's one of Hero's core genres. It's a bit more complex than Champions (have you worked out a magic system yet?), but you get exactly what you want.

Nothing wrong with Fantasy. As far as I'm concerned' date=' it's one of Hero's core genres. It's a bit more complex than Champions (have you worked out a magic system yet?), but you get exactly what you want.[/quote']

I haven't gotten into details on a magic system yet. But lately I've been re-reading the good old stuff, primarily the Kane stories by Karl Edward Wagner, and some original Conan stuff. I'm amazed that so few people know about Kane - awesome stuff. Anyhoo, the magic in these stories is uncommon and very powerful - and likely to cause quite a bit of fear and "superstitious dread". And no dwarves, elves, hobbitses, or fearies. There will be non-humans, but with more of a Lovecraftian feel. Elder races hiding from man, magical experiments gone awry, isolated kingdoms that have been inbreeding for millenia, that kind of thing.